Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Yeah, I had heard things. Guess I'll go with Tormented Souls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I did some googling, and it turns out Blooper released a patch last year that destroyed performance on high-end PCs. I guess I ended up dodging a bullet. I played Tormented Souls for a few hours last night. It's not perfect, but it's doing a really good job of scratching that old-style RE itch.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Lifeglug posted:

I really should go back to that game. The character model and pointless nudity at the start really made me think the game was going to be a lot worse than my initial impressions lead me to believe so I refunded it. Glad that it seems to be a solid RE-like and I may well pick it up again as it seems I was wrong.

Glad I sacked off The Medium though.

I don't know if my game came with DLC or what, but I started with a less embarrassing costume in my inventory

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Still liking Tormented Souls, but ran into two issues when I played last night. First, my game loaded without any save files. After some poking around, I found a new folder had manifested itself for some reason, and I needed to copy my save files from the old folder into it.

Second, I wasted a lot of ammo on an unkillable enemy :(

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Maybe skip to Evil WIthin 2 if the first one doesn't click again. I'll also throw out Alien Isolation and maybe some single player games of Phasmophobia?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Prey is free on Epic Games. It's a very good game

https://twitter.com/EpicGames/status/1524766362056282114?s=20&t=1ojmvvnVdrWoHDOby_wtpQ

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I've seen Alpha Beta Gamer play a game like that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdgRxYUAsMU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Man of Medan is one of the PS+ games for July. Any good?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Morpheus posted:

It's not as good as Until Dawn, but still pretty entertaining. It introduced the ability to play online with a friend, where the two of you play different people simultaneously, which adds to the experience quite a bit when you talk about what you saw afterwards.

Oh nice, for some reason I forgot it was made by those guys. I'll definitely check out that online play.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

We need a horror game where the town/hell/whatever accidentally grabs the wrong person, who's doing just fine, and tries its best to roll with it.

Almost sounds like Resident Evil 7

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I think in the Path of Neo game, you can take the blue pill at the beginning and end the game right there. And Far Cry 4 has a good one that's opposite of "hit da bricks." The villain captures you and asks you to wait 15 minutes while he has to torture someone or something. When he leaves the room, the game prompts you to escape. But if you wait an actual 15 minutes, the villain returns, explains some of the plot of the game, helps you with your original goal, and then asks you to hang out with him and shoot guns.

Not horror games, but still fun.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Oh buddy

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I recently beat At Dead of Night and Mundaun. I haven't played an FMV game since Sewer Shark, so At Dead of Night was a fun novelty. There's something to be said about having a live actor creeping around and spooking you. I jumped more times than I'm proud of. The in-game puzzles and the overall story weren't anything to write home about, but they were decent enough. Mundaun was actually a little disappointing. It has a solid art style and decent gameplay, but it wasn't scary at all. Too much of a slow burn, and I never felt actually threatened.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

johnny park posted:

Anyone here have issues with Phasmophobia's voice chat? There's a considerable delay (like 3-4 seconds) before my teammates can hear me when I speak on local voice. Hoping someone else has run into this problem and figured out a solution

I haven't played a ton lately, but I haven't seen anything like that. There's a Phasmo thread if you want to ask there: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3942046

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Medullah posted:

Yeah I really want to enjoy it but I missed the first save room and died with around an hour and a half of progress and didn't want to start fresh again. It's definitely challenging like original RE1 with save resources, ain't nobody got time for that these days

I remember the limited saves ending up not being a big deal. It's mostly a puzzle game. If you remember the solutions, you can catch up to where you died quickly enough. I ended up beating the game with several saves left, but I tend to play those kind of games super safe.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I think Soma also has a combat-free mode. Not sure if it qualifies as horror, but Vanishing of Ethan Carter may also be something that fits what you're looking for

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

It's just a bunch of ones and zeroes.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

It’s like snl bringing back norm Macdonald to host

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg_FoEy8T_A

I think about this video at least once a week

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

The Callisto Protocol is on sale on Steam. Guess I'll give it a whirl

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Instant Grat posted:

My big Resident Evil safari has reached RE0 after going through REmake, RE2make, RE3make, and the PS3 release of Code Veronica (thank god the PS3 store still technically works)

The bat boss sucked mondo rear end and I wish they'd give me an item box, but the 4:3 prerendered background static camera thing still totally owns. I like it a lot more than I was expecting to from the Steam reviews

E: Also gently caress the leech mimics

RE fans are wrong about hating RE0

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I don't remember a ton about Tormented Souls other than it scratched that old school RE itch really well, and the protagonist had an embarrassing default costume that you can thankfully change

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Yeah Mundaun is good stuff

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I started my October games a little early since I'm between big games. This weekend I played Scorn and the Shadows of Rose DLC for RE Village.

I really wanted to like Scorn. But the combat was so terrible, and the environments were so samey after a while, that I didn't feel bad about bailing on it after about three hours. I think I was near the end, but it was just becoming a slog to play. Cool looking game though

Shadow of Rose was solid. I haven't played Village since shortly after it was released, so them reusing the same environments didn't feel completely stale to me. Like in the base game, House Beneviento is a highlight. The mannequin chase was really fun and solid horror. The way they run into each other while rounding corners is perfect. Final boss fight was fun, too. Kind of wish it had another fight or two with all your powers unlocked

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I played a few hours of Demonologist this week. Pretty decent Phasmophobia type game. I like the addition of actual exorcisms and more creative scares than a cup flying across a room or a ghost awkwardly standing around for a bit. And unlike Phasmo, it has character customization. Cool in theory, but in practice this meant that half the people I saw in public lobbies were shirtless with leather pants or in some kind of weird swimsuit number. It gave the whole thing heavy Second Life vibes.

I also played Who's Lila last night. It had some really cool ideas. The face mechanic led to some hilarious and genuinely unnerving results. I feel like you get the gist of the story after a few of a the endings, and there's not really much of a mystery or reason to fully complete the game.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I never got far in RE6, but be sure to look up how the combat actually works. Because the game won't explain it you

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Whirling posted:

Alright horror games friends, what jank rear end ps2 horror game should I play for October? Beat Silent Hill 2 and 3, and now I am hungry for more

Can we consider Eternal Darkness an honorary ps2 game?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

NoModsNoMasters69 posted:

I totally agree. Real missed opportunity, and I felt like it was a bait and switch. the opening made it seem like it would be like a jojo-esque trying to figure out others triggers and bait them into yours, but it wasn't really like that at all.
I finished Paranormasight last night. It was the first Visual Novel type game I've ever played and probably the last, to be honest. I didn't totally hate it, but it doesn't seem like my genre. I agree hard with the above quote. I was looking forward to trying to figure out people's curse conditions and try to get them to fall into mine. Instead, I just pressed the A button a bunch of times for a few hours. This novel really needed an editor. It outstayed its welcome by a few hours, and the twists were so boring that I thought they were red herrings. For example, I thought for sure that the storyteller was a masked Nejima manipulating the detective to overload himself with curses. But instead the detective isn't affected at all by holding 20 curses, so whatever. Nejima's old photo and the storyteller even look alike, with the same haircut and mouth. Though the chin is a little different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOOI61I1A2k

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I started Calisto Protocol last night and played for about 30 minutes. It's cool to see Sam Witwer and Karen Fukuhara. But it's blowing my mind that the gameplay so far seems like Mike Tyson's Dead Space Punch Out.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

My Callisto experience was in the first area peeling off for some optional section and then dying most of the way through ti and the autosave was like 15minutes before. Just refunded it right there lol.

That happened to me once. I lost about 10 minutes total. But it just took about 2 minutes to get back where I died, since I knew where I was going the second time. I've played about 3 hours total so far. The game seems fine and worth playing for free. It's a little light on the scares for me. It's the same issue I have with F.E.A.R., where you're too strong for the game to try to spook with zombies around the corner. I'm sure it's tough to develop a combat system that's fun and makes it feel like you're barely surviving fights instead of just dominating them. I don't think I've run into anything that seems like a boss yet, though

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

That guy is so over-the-top friendly and trusting of someone he just met on prisonworld that it's hilarious. Last night when I was playing, he found a gun and immediately tossed it to me. So he's super chill about being unarmed during a zombie outbreak, as long as his new buddy can defend himself. I suspect there will be more to him later on, but for now it's really funny

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I'd be interested to hear your take on Little Nightmares after you play it. I dig that series a lot. And I think Phasmo is more fun multiplayer (though way less scary). I'd be up for playing when you get to it

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I was ready to defend Callisto Protocol for being an ok game for 15 bucks (or free on playstation). But the game ate my save, and I can't get my cloud backup to work, so gently caress it

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

This week I played DreadOut and some of the first Dread X Collection.

DreadOut had been on my backlog for about half a decade, so it felt good to finally knock it out. It was a pretty good time, despite a fair amount a jank and puzzles with nonsensical solutions. But it was also charming in a retro way. I spent a lot of time in part 1 running around aimlessly, looking for whatever I needed to progress. Part 2 was more streamlined, but I found myself missing the feeling of searching for an escape from a spooky place like the school. I guess I need to play some Fatal Frame games now, not sure if I'm sold on DreadOut 2.

The first Dread X was a mixed bag, and I ended up only playing a few games all the way through. There were a few fun and spooky games, a handful of meh games, and then a few stinkers. I own all the Dread X collections, so if anyone can recommend any must-plays, that would be awesome.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I can't wait to hear about what you think of certain scenes towards the end without the context of RE7. Also play RE7, it's good!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

World of Horror is officially out and 25% off on Steam

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

not quite enough cool hand gestures

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I beat In Sound Mind last night. Overall, a pretty all right game. It's really light on the horror due to the fact that you can run and gun like Duke Nukem. Also the main villain sounds like Pete from Goof Troop. The way the levels are designed are solid fun, but they always have an annoying, unkillable monster roaming around until you clear all the objectives. Then you're free to explore more and get any collectibles you missed, which I appreciate. The ending has you getting riled up against the government and BIG PHARMA in a way that seems weird these days.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well I'd be enjoying Dead Space Remake more if it wasn't straight-up broken. There's a loading bug that can cause enemies to disappear and items to fall through the floor. Reloading a save usually fixes it, unless you're in Chapter 10 where it triggers regularly, and reloading saves in certain places gets you a black screen.

And apparently this bug has existed since it released.

Oh man, I'm on Chapter 7 right now. Finger crossed it doesn't break, because I'm having a blast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I beat the Dead Space remake last night. Really good stuff. I haven't played the original since it came out, but the remake definitely feels like how I remember it, if that makes sense. All the characters, including Isaac, are better written than I remember. It seemed like almost every character had their Nicole they were being manipulated with, which is good early foreshadowing about the Nicole you see. Side note about Nicole, playing on an ultrawide screen totally spoils the jump scare at the very end. You can see her sitting next to you for a good ten seconds before you're supposed to.

Stasis and kinesis are as satisfying as ever. The plasma cutter is still one of my favorite video game weapons of all time. I couldn't help but use it for 90% of the game. If there is one complaint I have about the game, it's that the upgrade system really encourages you to focus on one or two weapons on your first playthrough.

The only major bug I got was after killing the Hunter with the shuttle, the cutscene never triggered and the marker vanished. So I wandered around the shuttle bay for ten minutes trying to figure out how to load an invisible marker into the shuttle. I thought the game was being meta about something.