Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

s.i.r.e. posted:

The first previews of We Happy Few didn't make the game look like it was another lovely meter management survival sim (it was seriously terrible), so I was really stoked to try it out in Early Access when it hit Steam, egg on my face when I played it. Luckily I got a refund but I kinda want to give the story a try again (But I think they're aiming for a $60 price point so nope). I don't know why they thought going the rogue-like route was good when at the time the market was flooded and still is flooded with so many games who's main gameplay revolves around the tedium of keeping your hunger bar filled. The art style isn't that good to keep that awful gameplay loop interesting after 5 minutes.

Its not like they lied about what it was going to be. As soon as I heard that it was going to be a procedurally generated rogue-like, I lost all interest in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

s.i.r.e. posted:

I never heard anything about the game being a rogue-like and none of the trailers that came out for the game screamed "rogue-like survival." It looked like a Bioshock, story driven experience and really nothing else.
They said it on the kickstarter page.

quote:

It’s a first-person game, set in a procedurally generated, fully 3D city that you must escape before society collapses around you. But, like any good roguelike, you’re probably going to die a few times before you figure out how it all works.
https://web.archive.org/web/20150704145152/https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/112359230/we-happy-few-welcome-to-wellington-wells-you-saucy

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Nana is male. You can hear their voice in their Minecraft videos.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

TGLT posted:

When the main point of the game is "let's not treat war like a fun time adventure where everyone wins" and a general indictment of "oorah you the war hero man" type war media, yes turning off the video game and walking away is a valid ending to your experience with the game. Especially since it keeps telling you to do that, or that you can do that if you'd like, or asking you why you haven't done that yet.

That'd be a valid argument if the game was free to play.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Seedge posted:

I've been slowly reading the entire thread backwards to find horror games I missed and found this :) did you ever get to play Until Dawn? It's been over two years now.

There's also an FMV Bundle on sale on Psn: are Madness Of Doctor Dekker, The Bunker or Late Shift scary? I wanna play them with my girlfriend and she dislikes frequent jump scares.

Don't get the bunker, or the Madness of Doctor Dekker. The writing isn't very good, and they aren't scary. Late Shift also isn't intended to be scary, but it looked pretty decent from the quick look Giant Bomb did.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Horror games tend to have a lot more low budget games, so its harder to separate the wheat from the chaff. (Not that all low budget games are bad)

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Black August posted:

When are these creatively bankrupt motherfuckers going to explore the other parts of the Mythos like the Dreamlands, why does every single lovely Mythos game have to be the exact same bullshit with deep ones and shoddy insanity mechanics and ooooo tentacles really goddamn original!! Oh look, a bleak rainy fishing town!

Bloodborne was the first good Mythos game in freakin decades

They should make a game based on The Cats of Ulthar, or a harvest moon-esque game with a colour out of space plot.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

al-azad posted:

Some of Lovecraft’s work is good, a lot of it is bad or average. Frankly I’m tired of him getting all the name drops when a lot of the modern mythos was fleshed out after his death.

A lot of the modern mythos is absolute poo poo though, and doesn't get why Lovecraft's works were good in the first place. Lovecraft is not just big scary monsters, and there being benevolent mythos gods also misses the point. What makes Lovecraft's works so effective, is that in the grand scheme of things, Humanity is completely insignificant. I appreciate August Derleth for popularizing Lovecraft's works, but he has had way too much influence on the expanded mythos.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Len posted:

There were spiders in 7. Tiny little jumping ones but still spiders.

You are forgetting about Marguerite Baker

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

There is also the extremely hosed up "Social Credit" system China has created where a person and their children can be severely punished for even doing the most minor of things that the Chinese government dislikes. gently caress Winnie the Pooh.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Len posted:

I love the TSW setting but have no faith in Funcom. How was their amusement park game? That's probably a good baseline for what to expect.

It was an incredibly lame short game, that turned into a PT ripoff at the end. Both of the twists at the end were super obvious and cliche. Yet another protagonist in a horror game feeling guilt for murdering a loved one. Oh, and it's also just a dream. Also, a bee in a jar is important for some reason.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

thebardyspoon posted:

That Devotion game is probably never going to see the light of day again is it? It's been over two months since they took it down, can't imagine a relatively small dev can handle losing the ability to sell a game they've spent a significant amount of money developing for that long. That's a bummer, literally went to buy it after reading a review on the day it got taken down. Must have been a couple hours too late.

As long as Winnie the Pooh and his cronies are running China, it will never see the light of day.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

WaltherFeng posted:

I'm waiting for the day when Capcom realizes randomizers are cool and implements a fully working randomizer to something like RE2make.

REmake2 is a scary game but it would be even scarier knowing a licker can gently caress you up in a random hallway because you aren't sure where they might appear. Same for suddenly running into a zombie horde that just happened to be around the corner.

It makes speed running difficult but it's great for people like me who mainly play these games for the atmosphere and survival horror elements.

Procedurally generated content sucks though. Randomizers can make a game replay more entertaining, but you can't beat hand tailored level design.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

My main question about the game is it literal fishmen and other lovecraftian entities walking around with other people acknowledging this, or is the protagonist just being "delusional"? The former sounds a lot more interesting than the latter.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

DeathChicken posted:

The beginning of Dark Corners of the Earth was interesting in that sort of way. You were just wandering around Innsmouth and there was no particular explanation as to why the townpeople were all creepy half-monsters who yelled at you to go away with voices that sounded like they had been gargling rocks, it was just creepy as poo poo.

Then the rest of the game couldn't keep up, but that sums up Dark Corners, really.

Well that game gets kind of ridiculous, because the protagonist decided to spend the night in a hotel despite knowing its run by a psychopathic murder. He already paid for a room, and he is going to use it goddammit it!

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Agent Escalus posted:

Just like The Outer Wilds, so no achievements, cards, wish lists, or other obvious features for you!

Hey it does have the feature of your credit card probably being hacked at some point, because there is a no way a storefront that doesn't even have a shopping card has good security.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

1stGear posted:

Fortnite and the brutal crunch they're putting its devs through makes more sense once you realize that Epic views it less as a game and more of an advertising delivery platform.

I think its more Epic is worried that if they don't keep it fresh and interesting for their audience, the kids will move on to the next hot thing.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Bogart posted:

They're based out of Taiwan, iirc.

Guess what Taiwan is

Its certainly not China, despite what Winnie the Pooh claims.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

John Wolfe is good because he is willing to poo poo on his lovely fans, and refuses to pretend his followers are his friends.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Crabtree posted:

I'm playing Judgement and I'm listening to my controller broadcast whatever a phone call says as a second speaker and I'm wondering if any games have used this feature. Like, I know everything is designed like the Dualshock 4, but its a shame nothing like the radios from Silent Hill or whatever don't utilize this little trick because it'd kind of be interesting to use the controller as a tool within the game outside of just controlling things in it. Like a dousing rod for danger or whatever.

Silent Hill:Shattered Memories literally does this.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Gann Jerrod posted:

The idea of the back rooms really works best as a one paragraph creepypasta and an image.

The back rooms is dumb because it randomly has to make it about videogames. Like you encounter weird stuff when you noclip in a videogame anyways.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

The Saddest Rhino posted:

What was the game set in an underwater lab where a terrible disaster has happened and you are possibly the sole survivor, collecting people's records as you try to get to the escape shuttle? I remember it had some good moments especially during the walk outside the lab

That sort of sounds like SOMA.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

"Lost in a alien world" apparently, going by the Steam page. It worked for Darkseed, which is another Giger flavoured game. Old live-action horror adventure, but it really had the art style down.

I think they mentioned at some point the main inspiration was actually the artist Zdzislaw Beksinski.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

That's more of a Five Nights at Freddy's game than an actual sequel to the game.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

RightClickSaveAs posted:

You can do that with pretty much any horror game, especially if you find one thing to pick apart and spend ten minutes cackling about it on Youtube. Another reason why streaming is a terrible way to check out most horror games, it adds another layer of removal from it when the experience is more the streamer rather than the game itself.

I dunno man, that scene would be pretty silly even without a streamer commenting about it. Especially when the kid wipes themselves out.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Lifeglug posted:

https://www.ign.com/videos/observer-system-redux-exclusive-gameplay-demo-and-developer-walkthrough

New footage of Observer: System Redux from that IGN thing today. Basically a remaster with some new content thrown in.

Edit: Also yeah I've not seen or played many of the horror games in that bundle, but try out The Space Between, the Stowaway, Tamashii, Paranoihell, and Babysitter Bloodbath.

Location Withheld and The Supper too.

A remake instead of an actual sequel is an incredibly weird choice. Although, I guess that might be due to the fact that they aren't going to be able to get Rutger Hauer back since he's dead.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Dreadwroth2 posted:

Remember your growl will cause the save points to ping.
I found the exploration flow really nudges you in the correct direction for progress usually, I only got turned around a couple of times. I kept missing doors to change areas since they kind of look like the rest of the background a bit.

I think the no map issue usually only happens when you are switching between areas, and you need to remember where you need to go.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Manager Hoyden posted:

Speaking of watching people fumble through horror games, who are the good YouTube lpers for weird/scary games who don't mug it up for the camera too much?

John Wolfe is pretty good.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Yeah, its lame that psychological horror basically means the protagonist killed somebody or at least horribly abused them.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

I just bought it in the same sale and finished it and my advice is don't.

There's a couple of neat atmospheric bits when you're actually doing stuff on Mars but it's mostly just throwing poo poo in your face, doing awfully timed jump scares while you character constantly goes 'gently caress! poo poo! argh!' at every tiny noise and the end is utterly ridiculous.

Let me put it this way, it's a game made by people who, when you pick up the spooky book that's totally not the Necronomicon, made the trophy that pops up an Army of Darkness reference.
is the main character once again the murderer in the game?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

They also had to implement backer created Strangers, which means they have to deal with really dumb and terrible characters.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Mannn, Korsakovia and Dear Esther were great. What happened?!

edit: These pictures do a remarkable job of making me want to punch Pinchbeck

Its the PT situation all over again. An experience that only works because its novel, and relatively short is padded out into a full length game. (partially because its also cheap to make.)

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

John Wolfe posted a video of Phasmophobia and it looks pretty interesting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DIZiBbwEHk

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

al-azad posted:

Silent Hill 4: The Room is on GOG. I wonder if this means the other Silent Hill games will get re-released on PC?

I think that depends on if the old pc ports will even run on a modern system anymore without a ton of effort. Konami is all about the bare minimum amount of effort to resell their old games currently.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

al-azad posted:

Honestly surprised there hasn't been a wave of negative reviews in the last 30 minutes. Gamers showing a lot of restraint here.

You can't review the game without playing it for a set amount of time. Although that means that 2 of the 3 reviews that are currently up didn't mention they were sponsored.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

oldpainless posted:

Maid of Sker is getting less enjoyable as I play it but it’s still good enough to continue. I feel like it’s a short game though so if it goes like 5 more hours and my fun continues to drop I’ll probably stop playing

Game takes around 4-5 hours to beat.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

I think at this point most of the Hellraiser movies weren't even planned as Hellraiser movies, but just have that in the title so they sell better (and also to retain the rights).

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

loving same on Sexy Brutale, what a great premise utterly undermined by its ending

Yeah, especially since even the protagonist forgiving himself is kind of pointless. He is still an old man that is all alone in the world because he killed everyone he cared about. Even if he stops punishing himself, there isn't much for him to live for at this point. Having it all be in the protaganist's head just makes the story way worst.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Does Little Hope have your characters hallucinating for the scares again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Der Shovel posted:

Spoilers for Little Hope, which I generally enjoyed a lot. Best Dark Pictures game IMO.

The basic gist:
The conceit is that they are trapped in a town where centuries ago a bunch of people were murdered as suspected witches, and for whatever reason time seems to be leaking and letting the two time periods touch occasionally, allowing mysterious horrors from the past through.

Massive Little Hope ending spoilers:
What is actually going on is that one of the guys in the party has a traumatic connection to Little Hope, and has gone completely crazy by being forced to confront the town again. Almost everything happening in the game are his delusions.

ah that's a hard pass then.