Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

They sold off a bunch of very popular game franchises (except maybe by SE standards) to fund this NFT garbage. Since the president can't admit he screwed up, they are going to waste a bunch of money on it and then quietly kill it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

some footage of Kojima's new game Overdose leaked https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJv7lDXu3XM

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Let's not forget that the series probably would still be continuing to do it was all a dream twists if people didn't push back hard against it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

IT BURNS posted:

The Devil In Me trip report:

Not bad, but a little redundant most of the way through (RUN AWAY!), as well as some horror tropes that got annoying after a while the killer always slow-walking towards the victims, always popping up in the right place at the right time, situations where they had a 5v1 advantage on him and we're supposed to assume that they couldn't take him, and how the gently caress could he survive being chewed up by a propeller AND the boat exploding at the end? The SAW vibes were actually cool, but more variety or a better twist would have been cooler.

House of Ashes had a more convincing story/setting. It's a good play, but I wouldn't go through it again. 6/10.

It really doesn't do anything with the saw vibe, except for one or two scenes. otherwise its just a generic slasher villain going around killing people. Also, how the heck can a FBI agent afford to build not just one, but two murder mansions.

I think this game really suffered from Supermassive Games working on the Quarry at the same time.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

About the only publisher that hasn’t retreated on NFTs is Square Enix, though afaik none of them have explicitly foreclosed on ever trying to go back to that well (save maybe the STALKER 2 folks)

The president of Square Enix went in really hard on it, to the point of selling a bunch of valuable IPs to fund the endeavor. They can't abandon it because that would basically be him admitting he really hosed up badly.

Also, I don't think there are other developers still working on it, except for maybe a few random companies run by idiots. The market has collapsed.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Does this put Callisto in the same pot as Mighty No. 9?

No, Mighty No. 9 was a complete trainwreck of a game with no redeeming features at all. Callisto didn't reach that level of terribleness.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Also, I can imagine team Bloober backing away from the more extreme stuff like the Abstract Daddy. Like they'll keep the backstory, but the design will be dialed down.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Night10194 posted:

The problem is 'we want to sneak our own vision in there' coming from people whose past body of work shows their vision isn't very good.

and has been a desperate attempt to recapture what Silent Hill 2 was.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Shastahanshah posted:

Has anyone played Bone Totem, and have thoughts on it?

A youtuber I like did a video on the previous game in the series, Stasis, and had mostly good things to say about it, but it was really let down by poor voice acting.

I'm assuming you are talking about this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B17yJUXboe0. He is going to do the sequel as his next video.

Stasis Bone Totem is really good, and it doesn't have the kickstarter jank the first game has. Most of the puzzles are pretty logical, but sometimes it can be unclear which of the three playable characters you can make progress with. I think the setting is pretty interesting. Although there is one aspect of it which is a bit stupid. It also has some really great and memorable characters in it too.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Paranormasight is making me want to play another horror VN. (I've already played Spirit Hunter: Death Mark, and Raging Loop. I have no interest in playing the Letter).

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Sinner Sandwich posted:

I feel crazy, but Paranormasight was a huge letdown for me. The opening with the narrator is so good, you go through the entire tutorial story, they give you the fakeout-reverse fakeout of the original protagonist's death, and then it... just never really feels like it goes anywhere? Everything is really flimsy and the characters always feel too two-dimensional, like someone's very briskly describing to me much more interesting, three-dimensional characters. The whole confrontation at the end between the detective and his daughter felt like an anticlimax that was treating itself as if it stuck the landing. Then the actual reveal and resolution comes at so breakneck a speed that it also felt rushed. I love the ideas presented, but the total thing felt like an alpha of a VN that I would consider a personal favorite when the full thing comes out.

Mio is great, though. In this house we stan awkward teenage psychics.

I liked it, but I do agree the true ending was a bit weak, but not enough to drag the down the entire game. Honestly, I think the penultimate ending would be the better ending if a few loose ends were tied up. I'm not a big fan of pretty much everything that happened being undone due to time travel shenanigans. Also the game says the rite of resurrection isn't real, but Harue Shigima's ending contradicts that. Also the chairwoman of Hihaku soaps never actually shows up.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

and they are trying to run a Parasite Eve NFT grift with it too.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Len posted:

I thought it had nothing to do with Parasite Eve in the end and that was all just the Internet deciding it was a new game?

Oh, I thought it was just a NFT only but still a Parasite Eve thing, but I guess not.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Nuebot posted:

I love silent hill 2 but god drat did it ruin the franchise forever by being good and thus ensuring everyone forever more would just copy its various iconic bits.

It didn't just ruin the franchise, its had a large negative impact on the whole genre due to all the imitators. But at least its not bad as PT, which turned looping hallway into an entire genre of game.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Vookatos posted:

That World of Horror trailer is so good, I wish it was more of a straightforward point-and-click game.
I've tried out early access multiple times, but nothing about it clicked with me.

I think the thing really dragging it down is the randomized content, especially since its a mystery game. Its just a bunch of random horror scenes shoved together.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

The enemies in Ghostwire Tokyo were all massive bullet sponges, which made the game not fun at all. I felt like the open world stuff dragged it down. A more linear experience would've probably worked better in my opinion.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

So, I'm playing Slay the Princess. To be honest I'm not that impressed so far. Its just a visual novel Stanley Parable with a horror twist (mild spoiler).

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

So yeah Slay the Princess is really short too. Its only 45 minutes to reach the "true" ending. A bit short for $16. Maybe there is a lot more content hidden away in branching paths, but I don't think that is the case.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

No Dignity posted:

Are you just skipping through all the dialogue? I'm two and a half hours in and I've only completed two paths

No, I'm doing all the dialogue, it'd be weird to skip through the dialogue of a visual novel.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Note the 100% achievement.

Unless GOG is inaccurate. There is a 10 minute discrepancy between Playnite and GOG playtimes.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

No Dignity posted:

How many endings did you get? It loops back to the real beginning every time you get one

I got one of the 4 actual endings. Its not like I rushed through it or anything. I was playing it completely normally including choosing the extra dialogue. I was also surprised it was only 45 minutes.

-edit and yes its the actual true ending. Not just one of endings with the vessel.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 24, 2023

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Yeah gently caress paying $70 for games when pretty much all of them ship in an extremely broken state these days.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

I think the fundamental issue is that a game being in the silent hill setting adds nothing of value and just drags the game down. Silent Hill 4 the room would have probably worked better if it wasn't associated with Silent Hill (which it wasn't even intended to be at the start). Maybe the Kojima Silent Hill would have breathed some life into the franchise, but it literally had a couple of the biggest names in horror with the project, along with the developer of one of the most popular game franchises of all time working on it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Endorph posted:

frankly a fatal frame game where your character has a cellphone camera and is a more 'modern' girl or even a streamer could actually kinda work, itd be interesting contrast with the traditional JP settings and histories

I'd be down for a Fatal Frame version of Deadstream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsl4UF-o76Y

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

The flip side of that coin is that, as pointed out here and elsewhere, it got very difficult to make money off indie horror games, esp walking sims, as they were typically short enough for streams to cover their entirety, so that people watching didn’t see the point in buying their own copies. Also Steam’s return policy meaning that you could beat a game and still be able to send it back for a refund.

I think another issue is the market is absolutely flooded with them, a lot of them with a similar aesthetic, so none of them stand out.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Shady Amish Terror posted:

That would probably require significant effort.

This is not to say it's not happening as we speak, but you were never going to see, like, the immediate landslide of 'what if you were stuck in a looping hallway' that PT triggered

I think this is also the reason why PS1 graphics are so popular for horror games these days. Its a lot easier to make models for PS1 games.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I fuckin' wish network TV would have interesting poo poo like Control on

There was the Lost Room miniseries, sadly nobody watched it so it never became a full series even though the story left an opening for it.

I played SCP Secret Files last night. Neat short game that has short self-contained segments about 5 SCPs. The gameplay is pretty simple, but it has a nice presentation and each segment has its own style. I believe there was plans to have more segments, but unfortunately the company is defunct.

Oh, and it doesn't resort to jump scares at all.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

TheWorldsaStage posted:

E: SCP Secret Files has been sitting on my wishlist but I didn't know about the level of jumpscares. I love walking sims done right and I've heard good things, especially the dragon level?

I wouldn't call it a walking sim because there is actual gameplay even if its really basic.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Yeah, its Epic paying for it. They are burning tons money to try and make the Epic store more than a Fortnite platform and failing utterly at doing that.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

MockingQuantum posted:

Okay yeah that sounds much more appealing than Amnesia 2 looked. Not that 2 looked like a bad game or anything, just not what I wanted from Frictional in particular.

It was developed by The Chinese Room and not by Frictional, who was just the publisher.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Morpheus posted:

I'm currently watching a video about Raging Loop, and I'm wondering if I should stop and play the game myself - part of me is interested in it, but I'm pretty sure I've heard that the game isn't very good (especially since the video's title calls it a hot mess).

Worth it? Or should I just watch these spoilers instead?

A lot of people really enjoy it and I enjoyed most of it too, but I found the ending to be really sloppy which really turned me off the whole thing. The so called "rational" explanation is even more ridiculous than if the entire thing was supernatural. Also there is a time loop going on, so the supernatural demonstrably exists in the setting. Apparently, some things are explained in the bonus content, but the main story should stand on its own.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

discworld is all I read posted:

There's quite a bit to Clocktower that's random, even for the SNES it was pretty impressive to have a perpetual enemy chasing you around from screen to screen or where it might decide to show up being somewhat random (or at least giving that impression). Also I think the game will try to give you the benefit of the doubt when you first try to hide in a location or use a spot to avoid Scissorman, but you can't keep relying on the same spot or setup as the next time (there really is a finite amount of safe places you can get to reasonably, at least I don't recall any traps or places you could continually use).

I think though there are some specific triggers to make sure your friends survive or not; depending on how much you want for spoilers, there are definitely ways to save some of the other kids but not all of them. Or you can definitely leave the house early...though that's not the best idea :)

I'd also say if you're interested in extra content, the SNES version was re-released with some extra content in Japan on the PS1 and it's got a fan translation out there. It was interesting the bits of added story, and I'm wanting to say there might have been some extra areas? Or maybe I'm just thinking of the cutscenes they added in.

There is also the remaster coming out, and probably soon too.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

discworld is all I read posted:

Yeah, I'm a bit curious if they're adding anything new to that or if it's just an official translation/port at this point.

Well they have already stated they are adding animated cutscenes. They haven't mentioned any other new features yet though.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

"Konami didn't edit the trailer to hide how bad the combat was"

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

I think it was always doomed to be the hot trend of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Most libraries have a video and videogame section these days.