Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

0 rows returned posted:

if you play any of the dye nfl lights, the first one would be the one to go with

dont play 2 because its awful and a step backward in almost every way

Dl2 is great for parkouring around.
Zombie and story parts weren't that good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

CuddleCryptid posted:

Maybe a fringe belief but I didn't think that the combat in AW was that bad in the original game. It was very basic, but that's was kind of the point. You were constantly getting ambused and encircled, so the fact that you had to burn enemies a bit with the flashlight made things like the flares and flash grenades interesting. And once you made them vulnerable almost every enemy went down in just a couple shots.

It wasn't about the shooting, it was about the vulnerability states. When you were focusing your flashlight or reloading you were vulnerable, and you were given tools to make space as a result. In the end it gave the impression of being a person alone in the woods with a flashlight and six shots in your revolver better than if you had RE4 style pew pew dynamic combat. And it served its purpose, it was something to keep you on your toes between setpieces.

There is room for improvement but if they had done Control-style heathbar looter shooter horseshit it wouldn't be as good because it's an atmospheric horror game and those kinds of things just don't fit.

True. I played the OG AW 2 years ago and it still worked well, because of the feeling of horror.
Making it a competent shooter would have ruined the feeling.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Captain Hygiene posted:

Well, I didn't mean to imply I want it to be a full on shooter, and I don't think they'd do that. More that I like the idea of the existing combat, but just didn't find it very engaging after a while outside of the big fights. I'm not a designer so I have no idea what I'd change about it, just hoping they do something to make it grab me more.

I'm not saying you're wrong. We just think and feel different.

For me horror games are best when I'm feeling (mildly) afraid or anxious about what happens next.
I'm never afraid when I'm on action game mode.
I do like action games, they just never feel like horror games, because the feelin isn't there for me.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Sakurazuka posted:

Never forget starting SH3 in hard puzzle mode then needing to know the order Shakespeare plays were written in.

How hard could it be...

I had to Altavista Who this Shrekshpere dude is and what his books are about to solve that.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

<3 Carla. She's such a meathead with a heart of gold.
I haven't tried dodging-build, but blocking feels easy enough and she has HP to spare.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Gromit posted:

Another reason for me avoiding it on Epic is to let it cook a little longer.

I don't expect Dead Island 2 to change much. All the things Scumbag listed are design choices, not bugs.
Technically it is one of the most stable and bug-light games released in recent years. I got steady 60 fps on my XSX with no crashes nor bugs I could notice.
Although I don't know how the hell they missed Zombies all the time? They're slow, dumb and easy to hit. Even the Runners.

Dead Island 2 was fun Zombiesmasher and is GOTY so far for me. It had Great variety of zombies, weapons and new abilities to play with.
As a bonus, the story had most humans to be decent human beings, not the usual dregs that deserved the zombie apocalypse.
Finished it in 16 hours and looking forward to any story dlc.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Do they have the exploding fat blokes and ashmatic joggers from Dying LIght?

Exploding dudes aren't that fat. They just have balloony growths that expand and then blow.

Fat dudes puke and spit acid mostly.

IDG the jogger reference, but Runners are bit loud when they're running.
Funnily enough they can keep up with your running, but never actually catch up, until you stop.
And they're zombie growling the whole time so you can't miss if you have one behind you.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Is it even shared universe? I thought that was used when multiple writers collaborate to add nods to each other in their own art?
All Remedy games are written and produced by one dude: Sam Lake.

Weirdest addition to the game is the inclusion of the Yötön Yö horror movie.
It is literally a 20 minute made-for-game movie that you can watch inside game in a particular theater.
Somebody even uploaded it to youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S478Ni0wWI
(spoilers for the game)

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

They even give you the Alan Wake 1 remastered for free with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Sakurazuka posted:

Scoring better than any AitD game since 90's :v:

"Unsettling and narratively ambitious, this is the best Alone in the Dark game since 1992."
-PC Gamer
score: 76 / 100