Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
You know, it's strange, but I think my favorite horror game of all time is one that isn't even scary. In fact, some people might not even consider it a horror game at all. It's a freeware indie title called Yume Nikki.

The game stars Madotsuki, a girl who for unknown (but highly speculated) reasons refuses to leave her bedroom. She's also been having strange dreams, hence the title of the game ("Yume Nikki" being Japanese for "dream diary.") The majority of gameplay sees you exploring her highly abstract and surreal dreamworld whenever she goes to sleep. Along the way, you get items called "effects" which let you change shape. Some are these effects functional, but many aren't, much like the various rooms through which you'll stumble trying to find your way around Madotsuki's increasingly unsettling psyche.

Like I said, the game isn't particularly scary. It has (almost) no jump scares and (almost) no combat to speak of. However, the pure surrealism of the game makes the whole experience consistently and effectively unnerving. The simple, occasionally almost childish art style has you constantly questioning just what the hell you're looking at. And it's all just thematically consistent enough to make you think there might be meaning in the madness...but good luck nailing it down.

I've always found aggressive surrealism highly unsettling, and I've never felt that many horror games have capitalized on that angle. Yume Nikki nails it hard. It's totally free and you can download it off the wiki. It's a game everyone should play, even if horror games aren't normally your thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU