Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I'm confident that Five Nights at Freddy's is not the greatest horror game of all time, but I think it is well worth the price of $5.00 in terms of enjoyment. Decently scary as a game and miles above Slender and the others in that genre so don't be fooled if you think it is anything like those in play/quality.

The mechanics behind the play are interesting enough for me to consider it $5.00 well spent but I'm a nerd for thinking about the functions behind horror games so that bias is there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

RadicalR posted:

Hey, man. If the fabulous fashion sense of the Scissor twins is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Dad?

My father is a huge gamer and after running out of Resident Evil, Silent Hill, and with another horror game like Alone in the Dark a few years away he tried Clock Tower 3 and for a good couple years after we would randomly say "SNIP-SNAP" to each other at the confusion of my mother.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Seriously, I actually like the first SH movie, if only because, visually, it's pretty drat great. I watched it again recently and, yeah, it's still an enjoyable movie. I wish they'd kept Harry Mason as the protagonist, but, y'know, executives.

I watched the movies with some friends and left it confused at the plot and at the lack of "The Art of Silent Hill" or some other collection of concept art from the movie or game series. Visually the game has some of the most interesting monsters of video games and I would love to have a better look at them since H. R. Giger is fantastic but some well lit artwork of the grotesque is more than welcome by me.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Red Mundus posted:

Yeah without going into specifics the fish people aren't evil or anything like that.

Like someone can be catholic but disagree with the catholic church. And the deep ones are kind of like that. Without getting into spoilers Sinking City is more about organizations, cults, and politics using and abusing people for there own gains and how power imbalances both eldrich and mundane can really gently caress up cities and communities and the ripple effect it has. It straight up has the KKK in the game to hammer it home.

The devs cited Alan Moores Providence as inspiration and it shows. Btw, if you've never read it I highly recommend it.

I loving love sinking city and if it was on steam I would recommend people try it and return it if they didn't like it. For now though John Wolfe is doing a good playthrough of it and he's enjoying it if you want to see what it's like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp_9g-lNXY8

So initially the confusing controls that have no clear explanation bothered me, and to a degree the controls just in general bother me like all 3rd person PC games, but the second I saw my fish bro I fell in love.

Production value for like the engine or feel of the game caught me off guard but I'm pretty happy.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I played The Quarry, Man of Medan, and now working on Little Falls. For all their flaws I like these games a lot, but The Curator does nothing for me. He's not bad... just kinda bland. Am I alone?

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

DreadUnknown posted:

Woah woah woah there buddy are you calling Pip Torrens bland?

No, I love Pip Torrens, but there's only so much for him to do with what he's given. I'm about to get to the much hated twist and beat Little Hope ( mediocre ) so we'll see if he grows on me.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

el oso posted:

I love Until Dawn and enjoyed The Quarry well enough but have to say that Justice Smith gave one of the worst voice performances I've ever heard In The Quarry. I've seen him in movies before and he's a perfectly fine actor but good lord in The Quarry he was terrible

When you start the game the counselors all talk about how hot and cool he is and then he shows up and gives this incredibly flat, mumbly performance. I couldn't take him seriously for the rest of the game even though I think you're supposed to be rooting for him

I just took him as a kinda shy awkward teenager or sorta autistic. He's actually one I really liked, especially the exchanges with Dylan.

"You told me to cut off your arm!"

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I must be nearing the end of Little Hope and this is such a drag after playing The Quarry. I'm just not sold on all of these people so quickly taking up that this little girl is important and the center of their pursuit of survival. The skepticism of The Quarry seemed like it was going to go on too long... until it didn't and just kind of nailed it.

EDIT: Oooh, that end sucked hard.

Old Doggy Bastard fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 18, 2024

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

alright second worse

here's my rankings:

Until Dawn
The Quarry
House of Ashes
The Devil in Me
Man of Medan
The Inpatient
Little Hope
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood

That makes me happy since now playing House of Ashes and dig the setting. Plus, never having played Until Dawn when it was on consoles, I'm pumped for the PC port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Alone in the Dark not making M go right to map or have these doors open naturally with Shift + E is criminal.