Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Captain Hygiene posted:

If you have to ask, you'll never know :smug:

i'm clicking your smilie why isn't it taking me anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Just finished LN2 and while it's a bit short for the price it's a pretty solid experience that I enjoyed a lot. I'm probably going to go back and replay LN1 and it's DLC now since I've largely forgotten everything that happens in it. The controls are kind of bullshit though and there were dozens of times that I died because I got caught on some invisible corner or my character just randomly failed to grab an edge for no reason. Not a huge deal since the game is 80% walking simulator but it was still frustrating.

One thing I'm noticing is that every video on YouTube that tries to analyze LN2 is pretty bad. They seem WAY too focused on lore and basic plot mechanics and completely ignore the themes and ideas the game is trying to discuss. I mean, LN2 a game about two children running through a decaying society full of adults being warped into monsters by a television signal that consumes their humanity before devouring them entirely, leaving only shadowy remnants behind. The signal comes from a sky scraper made of eyes that ultimately turns the protagonist into the very thing he's been running from for the entire game. Gee, could the author perhaps be trying to say something!? But yeah, let's obsess for 20 mins over how X character can be in 2 places at the same time in a world that runs on dream (nightmare?) logic. That's much more interesting. :rolleyes:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Started playing Control and it's weird and dumb and makes all kinds of bad decisions (lol at the awkward internal monologue and live action actors) but I also kind of love it precisely for those bad decisions? If nothing else it's got some interesting ideas and is having fun with them. I really witsh it were actually scary though or at least had enemies that were more interesting than random dudes with glowing bits. I mean come on, you have the entire multiverse at your disposal. Give me some eldritch abominations!

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 9, 2021

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Captain Hygiene posted:

People keep bringing up their opinion on Control having ho-hum gameplay. I'm open u I can suggestions on other games that let me float around as a telekinetic goddess of death followed around by my best friend, a large healing orb.

Most looter shooters offer a somewhat similar experience. Though this wasn’t *bad* by that standard mind you, just not amazing.

What I was hoping for when I started (I went in almost completely blind) was Bloodborne in a freaky living building but with gun based combat. But instead of mind-destroying abominations from beyond the void you just get room after room of the same human enemies you’d get in most other games. I don’t hate it. Hell, I’m about five seconds from picking it back up now. It’s just kind of a silly weird mess built around a fairly generic game engine.

Update: Yeesh, why are there SO MANY files I have to read? Lore is a sometimes food, game!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Things I like about Control: Throwing objects with your brain is incredibly satisfying to the point where I only ever use my gun because the game forces me to by making my brain powers recharge. I'm basically maxing out my brain powers and ignoring every other skill tree at this point and it's incredibly broken.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

FMV just isn't the same when it isn't in grainy ultra compressed SD with overly busy borders and frames.

:hmmyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zny-Tvt4T-s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Okay the puppet show in Control is great and single-handedly justifies the money I spent on it.