Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Oh? I'll give this a try

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I want to get Evil Within but my vidcard decided to crap itself, thanks a lot, guess ill watch a movie in halloween, what is this 1997?!

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I'm not even going to pretende I understand much of FNaF's lore, but it seems they developed it by overcomplicating it. Unless you're Kojima or Capcom, I don't see that ever turning out good.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Crabtree posted:

If I believed that Konami had some business sense, I could at least see them just renting the Fox Engine out like Unreal for other devs to use. But with the P.T. purge, I'm not sure if even that is also going to be locked on a server and buried in the earth because gently caress having anything to do with video games anymore that aren't on mobiles/pachinko.

Can't rent out an engine if you don't have any support to give, I mean, you can but no one's going to buy that poo poo

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

al-azad posted:

It reminds me of the Cthulhu game where cultists and deep ones are chasing you while the protag is like "It's a crate" in a monotone voice.
All the while he's panting and making other noises due to madness.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Finally bough the last Evil Within DLC and finished it: it's a shame the game got split up, and even moreso the DLC.
I can and have made a case for the main campaign being a good game on by itself, but you'd do yourself a disservice if, like me, you play the dlcs non continuously; the gameplay focus of the second half of Kidman's dlc would really work better if you come straight away from the first one.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Anatomy is a surprisingly creepy game, there's just something inherently off putting in a dark suburban hallway.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Tried Survey for a bit, it has that PT like feel and it's pretty tense from the little I played. The interface is kinda clumsy though and I'm guessing some events are random so they might not happen at all.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Evil Within 2 is a more well rounded game this time, but it kinda lost its flavour by turning into a more bog standard semi-open world game. Even Mobius isn't wrapped in cryptic scenery or symbolism, it's just there and any intention of muddling the lines between reality and dream are gone.
"Is this all in my mind?" says Sebastian, well, yeah dude, you pretty much jacked into the matrix on your own this time.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
It already was, given you were able to run it at a playable framerate.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I think having safe hub areas gives a certain approachability the original lacked. Although I liked the gauntlet design better.
On this new one for a second or two I thought "why can't I smash bricks on the fungus infected like before? ...oooooh."

Improbable Lobster posted:

Evil Within 1 was not very good, for a number of reasons that are well tread at this point.
:shrug:

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Blair witch is on gamepass, so i tried it out. The main character is really annoying, I guess it's to be expected with him being so on the edge about whatever happened, but I'll probably just stop playing.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Drunken Baker posted:

I got a fair way into it and the whole "haunted past" trope thing was bugging me, so I went back to Stellaris. Then I watched a full playthrough in work by John Wolfe and I'm glad I didn't put any more time into it. The beginning is real neat and cool and getting lost in the woods with a dog was handled SO well, which makes it all the bigger shame that the story plays out the way it does and the later portions of the game look so annoying.

"Why the gently caress does the witch care about any of this?" was a good take away from John. Hahah.

The analogue controls kinda blow too. I dunno why, but everything feels sluggish and cumbersome to use, like going into your backup, just give me a menu or smth.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
There's a horror themed crpg out on steam called Stygian and it's pretty neat. Apparently the devs ran out of money and it ends with a lot of plot threads unresolved, but I'm honestly pretty happy with what I've played. It feels like Fallout but with crappier combat and on a lovecraftian setting.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
CV will always have a special place in my mind because when it came out on the DC it looked insanely good, but Dino Crisis was a better designed full 3d survival horror overall.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
the yt content creators are supplying a demand
i didnt even realise bloober team were the ones behind that blair witch game before looking at a thumbnail

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Another point is that DS2 Isaac is much more capable than DS1 Isaac. He has better melee, can move around quicker, has much stronger weapons and abilities, and generally acts like hes done this all before. DS1 Isaac moves at a slower pace and is less capable overall, giving the played a much stronger sense of vulnerability, which lends itself better to horror

DS2 isaac learned how to turn on a dime, it's that rush you get after surviving one xenomorph carnage, i haven't played 3 but he's probably vaulting over the crabmen

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
booo, they should be doing RE6 gunfu

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I appear to be a bit stuck in Signalis. Does anyone want to tell me where I am?

- I've found 3/6 plates you need for that waygate (Balance, Love, Eternity)
- I've found 2 of what I'm guessing are 3 nesting dolls you need for the counterweight
- I've found 2/3 rings for the empress puzzle (wedding, serpent)
- I've unlocked all 3 gate patterns you can get from the radio signals
- Only unlockable door left is near the save room and needs a rusty key

I think I've retraced every room at least three times and haven't figured out how to progress from here.

You checked that dark room that's adjacent to a large open room with one of those replikas that look like the big daddy from bioshock? also, there's an office space room that has an important item there, I can't recall where the key is rightaway but that specific area stumped me when i first got in because the doorways in the SH rusty area didn't look like doorways

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
any cheap horror recommendations from steam sale? got Yomawari and darkwood on cheap even though I owned darkwood on switch already it was too cheap to pass up running it better i assumed turns out it runs pretty much exactly like on switch

exquisite tea posted:

I've been to the dark room, I believe that's where I found the serpent ring. And if it's the office space with the note from Alika and the grenade shells + incense, then I've been there, too.

E: Nevermind, I found where I'm supposed to go. There's a room to the far right of the underground pulsating tunnel that I missed because I thought it was a dead end.

that area is kinda like that yeah, stuff doesnt read well as passages or doors

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
to me Inscryption suffers from the basic card game being way more fun than the later expanded one

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I couldnt help but laugh at Yomawari's tutorial like wtf

veni veni veni posted:

I never understood this sentiment at all. I think the later parts are just as good as the beginning.

I just think the card game was better with less stuff

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
playing PS2 Extermination and this game is weird, you can jump and scaffold pretty much anything in this

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

SettingSun posted:

I fuckin love this dumb early PS2 game. One of my fondest memories of that era was playing a demo disk that had that game on it.

hardcore US special forces marine, Dennis

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

bessantj posted:

Probably a stupid question but has anyone played The Convenience Store? There doesn't seem to be a save option, is this right? If so how long did it take you to run through the game? Thanks in advance.

I have 53 minutes on it and an ending achievement

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I somehow manage to solve the sliding tile puzzles but just keep swapping tiles and maybe there's a mathematical reason for it but more often than leaves the puzzle on a state where I can solve it

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Vermain posted:

i've always assumed that you can create sliding tile puzzles in some mathematically optimal way, so that there's a limited number of total moves that can be made given the starting position of the tiles and the open spot available, specifically so that people will eventually find enough traction to get unstuck if they keep spinning their wheels

yeah, that's what my experience has been ever since i had those minigames on bart vs world on my gamegear

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
got Lila due to the thread recommendation and it's good, i was a bit disappointed after finishing it the first time but it's one of those the more you play the more it opens up

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Excavation of Hob's Barrow was cool, I'm always surprised to see AGS games can still run on modern resolutions, but I wish the story were just a bit longer.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The first thing I saw in another thread people post about fear and hunger is that you get raped all the time and theres an anal bleeding debuff. Not the best first impression lol.

either that or getting mauled by dogs will likely be the result of your first encounter but you learn pretty quickly how to avoid it, esp since you can target and cut all sorts of appendages

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
was playing the first Darkness Within and it's a really atmospheric adventure game but drat, that dial clock puzzle, im sorry mr detective, you're going to be stuck forever in that lovecraftian nightmare

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah, I didn't even think they could render models

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
For people saying Bunker is short, does it have enough engaging gameplay to warrant further playthroughs, like harder modes or variations like REsi?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
What's the chant like? It's on promo and seems somewhat interesting

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Aww :(

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Playing Inferno Beyond the 7th Circle and it is a cool horror themed dungeon crawler, like a blober but with just one character. It also runs on a browser since when I tried taking a screenshot the chrome devtools opened up lol

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
The sherlock Holmes remake of their cthulu game didn't have combat, at least so far as I've played. They do seem to be stuck on a rut trying to rework their franchise tho

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Went to check news for stygian reign of the old ones but the dev team seems gone
Rip

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
AW2 is a egs exclusive right? No chance coming to steam anytime soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

It's literally published by Epic so it's never coming to Steam

sweeney :arghfist:

A Cool Video Game Too posted:

fwiw, Aliens: Fireteam Elite is also a great aliens shooter but runs into the issue of being thin on content if you only do one playthrough of the campaign. Which is a shame, because it nails the aesthetic and tone of the Aliens movie while also being fun to play.

dark descent also nails this on a RTS-ish game, it rules and could also use more content