Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

Nathilus posted:

It's old as gently caress and probably more adventure than horror, but I've always had a soft spot for Sanitarium. It's not exactly horrifying, but the off-kilter atmosphere was done perfectly. Plus, the puzzles are rational (if not always easy) and the game has a TON of variety. There's a children of the corn like scenario, a carnival of the damned, a horrific comic book hero section, and my favorite, a kickass aztec section. In between these, you play in the asylum, which is just as trippy as any of the delusions.

Sanitarium is what I'd call "Adventure Horror." There are few, if any, jump scares which distinguishes it from some other games in that genre, but I think it's way better at putting you in creepy and unsettling environments than poo poo like Phantasmagoria. I also like how the environment and the rules that the setting obeys changes very often so you never quite get a handle on or get comfortable with where you are and what's going on.

I consider it one of the best adventure games ever and definitely a good horror game to look into if you're tired of jump scares and repetitive plots/premises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU