Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Five Nights is one of the few games where the cheap, crappy nature of the models works in its favour. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Cardiovorax posted:

Those HarshlyCritical videos really make Freddy's look loving tense. That guy doesn't startle easily, but man does he freak out every time the robots get him.

The first time Bonnie appears his sudden :stare: and fist raising cracked me up like a loving idiot. He's not so above getting scared after all.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The best Markiplier video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P51uplvbkwY

:shepface:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Markiplier's a lot like the Angry Videogame Nerd to me - his gimmick is kind of annoying, but when he's allowed to just talk and play and discuss things he's absolutely fantastic to listen to. I really, really wish I had the sort of enthusiasm he carries himself with; it's endearing in a silly way.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Heavy Lobster posted:

You shouldn't be, Mark is ripped. :swoon:

Ab controllers will be the new Oculus Rift.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Mr E posted:

That's why for the most part I like HarshyCritical. He usually has genuine reactions and makes fun or a game for trying something dumb.

He's such a prissy little poo poo in the comment section of his videos though. Cannot take any sort of criticism whatsoever.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Pathologic was the one with the creepy bird/plague doctor guys that stood in front of the homes of 'essential' NPCs that had died, right?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well she does share an explicit, on-screen kiss with another underage girl, so

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Yardbomb posted:

I'll continue to recommend HarshlyCritical to people that want good playthroughs of (Usually shorter) horror stuff. The guy himself admits that some of his much older stuff is of eh quality for a few reasons, but a lot of his videos are him just being super :effort: about terrible indie horror games and it's great seeing the polar opposite reactions of people like PDP or Markiplier for once.

He plays during the day with the lights on. :colbert:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

:stare:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Can you guys suggest any decent LPs of Fatal Frame? I don't have a Playstation unfortunately, so I'm unable to play them first hand.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

year199X posted:

It takes place before and during the main game. You play as the guy that sent out the email that lured the reporter to the asylum. I would also say it's way more hosed than the main game.

Yeah, there's a...certain sequence that puts the Strogg cutscene from Quake 4 to shame. :stare:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I dunno, as someone who suffers from mental illness I don't really think 'wow, mental illness sure is being shown in a negative way' as some dude hurls a chainsaw through the lower portion of my spine. :v:

Sure, if they're trying to piggy back a 'real' illness into some sort of murderous psychopath diagnosis then I'm with you, but it always struck me as a bit of an odd thing to get hooked on.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, it's difficult to understand why you think it's a destructive approach when you haven't explained your thinking behind it. As Hak says I don't think anyone who plays these games genuinely thinks someone that suffers mental illness is going to grab a chainsaw and disembowel anyone, or that a person admitted to an asylum is going to come out possessed by demons and waving a meat cleaver.

Boring and lazy? Sure. Harmful to those who suffer? I dunno. I'm struggling to think of any actual damage games like Outlast have caused to support networks or the people attached to them, patient or not.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Put like that I can see where peoples' issues come from, so thanks for that clarification. I guess I'm just stuck on the distinction between something being actively harmful, and something just being too lazy to doing anything positive. Fair few games I'm seeing nowadays do seem to be treating the mentally ill as victims of circumstance and exploitation, rather than inherently psychotic, so I suppose it's a step forward in that sense.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Len posted:

So whatever happened with that unkillable ghost that was going to make Evil Within a bad game? Were people just hitting panic buttons for no reason?

He appears in a single chapter and can be hidden from. A lot of people in the main thread keep complaining about the difficulty and how they lost all their ammo, but I can only imagine they did this by staring at a wall and firing - non-stop - until they were dry.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah not gonna defend the one-hit kill stuff, but it's so weird seeing this many people complain about how resource starved they are. I really do not get how they're putting themselves into that situation so quickly.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
A one hit kill enemy which is heavily telegraphed and can be dealt with using the environment.

I don't think goons really seem to get the Evil Within.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Sure, but there's a difference between hating time pressure and throwing a fit because you're terrible at the game.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
None of them have actually answered my questions about it, instead they spill over into here complaining about the game. :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'll probably wimp out and just watch an LP of this one, but I'll buy the game anyway. Unless it turns out the developer is an actual Nazi or something, he seems pretty cool and does everything(?) by his lonesome. Worth a few bucks.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Following instructions: fail.

Getting raped by the wolf and limping away bloody and injured: success.

:iiam:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Still can't see that mask as anything other than a really silly grin.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is there anything obtuse enough to ruin enjoyment of the game? Been hm'ing and ah'ing over getting it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I think I'll be happy watching an LP of this one. :catstare:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If you can tolerate his gurning, Markiplier's doing a run (uploaded it just before the full game was out I think). I love this guy because he's so enthusiastic.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The mask does not work like I thought it would! :gonk:

I thought it'd protect you from the old animatronics, while you just had to be calm around the new ones and let them do their thing - the nights changing their appearance to be more like the old (I've seen new Chica 'unbeaked' already...) making the distinction much harder as you juggle more poo poo. This has backfired.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I keep getting killed on Night 2. I can handle Foxy and his buddies quite well, settling into a decent pattern, but then balloon boy shows up and all my planning goes to poo poo.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I don't want to know how that...thing kills you. So far I've only seen Mangle draped across the prize room, staring intently at the camera. Gives me the goddamn heebie jeebies like nothing else.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Haha, yeah, the final night. Holy poo poo. Holy poo poo. :stare:

Major, major spoilers here: look at the date on your cheque then play Night 6. 1987.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

dijon du jour posted:

It's a reference to "The Bite of '87". On one occasion the phone guy in the first game refers to an incident in 1987 when an animatronic bit off someone's frontal lobe. So that date on the paycheck pretty much confirms what the game has been hinting at ("Animatronics acting strangely towards staff" "Suddenly a new position has opened up on the day shift" "Someone snuck into the back and put on a golden Freddie costume and then...") which is that this game is a prequel and the game takes place during the infamous "Bite" and the missing children incident that began the restaurant's downward spiral.

Yeah, it's not a hugely inventive thing but it's a neat addition and explains a lot. I think my only problem with the game is that it's more overtly supernatural than the first, but I guess it's not a huge stretch.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Resturant management sim by day, survival horror by night.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Slendy no, you're better than that. :smith:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Morpheus posted:

I just wish the plot was more coherent. It's not even discordant in a cool, insane kind of way. My friends and I are on, I think, Chapter 9, and there's little in the plot keeping us interested - it just seems like a random mishmash of locations with little or no reason to them at all. You're in a sewer! Now you're in a village! Now you're in some catacombs! Now you're back in the hospital! More caves!

It makes a ton of sense!...once you finish the game unlock the model viewer, which gives detail on all the monsters and so on.

I think they tried for a 'less is more' approach when it comes to story telling, but just ended up confusing the gently caress out of everyone instead.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Fojar38 posted:

For what it's worth both games have been surprisingly well designed for being developed by one dude so I dunno if it's fair to label him a cash-grubbing sellout yet.

Props to the guy for realizing his creepy human animation skills were better suited to creepy animatronics. :v:

As long as he continues charging the same cheap price for his games I think he's cool. Dude clearly puts a lot of love into the products.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

al-azad posted:

I'm certain the technique is intentional.

He's all but said it is. I can't find the interview but his earlier games got flak for how creepy the animations for humans were, so he eventually settled on the idea of playing to his strengths and going down the route of animatronics.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Huh, guy is/was a die hard Christian. Gotta say I didn't see that coming.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
FNAF2 has been described pretty accurately as a plate spinning simulator. You have to keep a music box cranked, keep track of animatronics and "flash" certain ones so they'll get stunned and back off, juggle the use of your mask (Foxy ignores it and the tolerance level other animatronics have for the delay between them being in the room and you putting it on gets smaller and smaller...) and so on. It's a much more hectic, much harder, game than its predecessor. Was pretty good thinking to have a lot of the story dished up through death screens. :v:

RadicalR posted:

Yeah, they should've slid down. Oh well.

And lock people in when the power is knocked out during a fire? :colbert:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Gann Jerrod posted:

FNAF 3 trailer is out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXI5CGY4i-Y. Looks like it will be set in a Freddy Fazbear's themed haunted house.

Looks like he's crossed straight into outright horror now. :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Fojar38 posted:

The market has already been flooded with half-assed FNaF rip-offs so it's good that he can still make the real deal distinguishable.

Seriously. Just look at the many clones that have popped up. Say what you want about the developer, but you can tell when Scott's behind something - the jump in quality and care is huge.