Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

New Amnesia drops at the end of the month and looks pretty legit. It seems to be following up with Alien Isolation where there's a single monster that hunts you throughout. Fueling generators keeps the monster away from lit rooms and you have a noisy rear end wind-up flashlight for rooms without power but the monster can hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFSKFX2PNsM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There are at least two genuinely good Alien FPS games so it's not without precedent but sure on the long list of awkward transitions to the next gen Isolation stands out as both a faithful adaption of a licensed property but also just a well crafted experience overall.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bumhead posted:

..with or without Predators in?

The predators come with the territory but if you really don't want to there are still 2/3 of very good games!

The way the AvP games handled light is still so overlooked in modern game design. The humans have to launch flares everywhere, aliens have cat-vision, predator has its awkward heat vision.

e: Rainbow 6: Alien is a dream game to me.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 10, 2023

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I actually think Bramble is a better designed Little Nightmares, not in an aesthetic sense but actual core gameplay is much breezier and better balanced. Too often LN does the hub-and-spoke approach to puzzle design where you have to go off in three different directions to assemble a key to open the main area and this leads to a lot of padding while Bramble is very linear continuous set piece. It does mean Bramble is a condensed game, probably around 3 hours with a scattering of hidden collectibles, which I would say it's closer to Brothers A Tale of Two Sons than LN specifically.

The final boss is also an epic rendition of In the Hall of the Mountain King.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Glagha posted:

Nothing, some people got confused about playing the myhouse.wad file instead of the one you're actually supposed to play which is myhouse.pk3 even though the wad is buried another folder layer deep.

For people who don't play Doom custom maps, go find a copy of doom2.wad you probably have one. If not go buy Doom 2 somewhere, google and download GZDoom, slap doom2.wad in the folder with it, then drag and drop myhouse.pk3 onto the gzdoom executable. Boom now you're doomin.

Optional (non-optional) step, google what menu you have to go to to turn off texture filtering because it looks awful and is on by default

My recommendation: download ZDL a sourceport front end. Point to gzdoom or other preferred port, put the pk3 in IWAD folder, and point to any external files you want e.g. brightmaps or HUD mods.

And yeah turn off texture filtering (I like linear mipmap so distant textures aren't pixellated mush), change sector lighting to software, and fuzz style: software so invisible enemies render properly.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I found Alan Wake to be a really good pastiche of King in tone. Like it was very sincere in its reverence while also being believably hokey. It was on par with 90s King adaptions like The Langoliers and The Mangler which is not a great bar but there's something lovably silly about low budget King adaptions.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

System Shock remake is unapologetically 90s. They added some quality of life, the interactive map system is real good for a game where each level is the size of 4 Doom maps squished together, they included the old customizable difficulty setting, and hacking is really fun Descent-mini that doesn’t overstay its welcome but yeah be prepared to take notes and discern objectives from audiologs you will not be reminded of anything. The infamous security number puzzle is still intact and it’s still randomized.

It leans heavier into the horror angle and one of the cooler micro-details is that there’s now a visual representation of SHODAN’s control. The original would respawn monsters and the same is true here but you’ll often catch out the corner of your eye a hidden platform being raised or a secret wall cache opening to spill out new monsters. My heart skipped a beat leaving a room and seeing a section of the floor rise up to deposit a couple mutants before silently lowering back into the floor. SHODAN has turned citadel station into The Cube and it’s excellent.

This is also one of the best lit games I’ve ever played and if it took 6 years to optimize Unreal 4 to not explode with all the lighting and particle effects (especially after the recent slate of badly optimized AAA titles) it was worth the wait. I can’t stress enough how good the lighting looks and it retains the vibrant color palette of the original while being lit like a giallo movie. I’m sure this is the vision id had with Doom 3 and it’s kind of ironic System Shock was Ultima Underworld stretched into Doom and this game feels like Doom 3 reached its full survival horror apotheosis.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Thirding (fourthing?) Who's Lila. A short experience, neat meta aspects, some moments that still haunt me.

sigher posted:

It sounds exactly as I had hoped, I never played the original but I spent a lot of time with SS2 so I hoped the remake stayed true to the original game as close as possible. I always wanted to give it a go but I heard it was fairly clunky in the control department. I think I remember reading it didn't have mouselook? Dunno, maybe I was confusing it with another title.

The original was built on Ultima Underworld so you move by holding left mouse button on the edges of the screen. Up to go forward, down to walk backwards, you turn by holding the button on the upper corners and strafe left-and-right it's basically true tank controls from a first person view and I have no idea how anyone played this game in 1994. You could look up and down and because the mouse cursor was a representation of input not looking you basically had precise aim within a limited viewport. The Enhanced Edition added true mouse look and WADS control scheme and is the best way to play the original.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pseudohog posted:

About the System Shock remake - I see a lot of reviews are complaining that you get objectives via emails or audio logs which are never repeated again. From what I played of the beta and the first part of the actual released game, all emails and logs are stored in your multimedia reader and can be replayed at your leisure - they're quite often vague, but you always have them to refer back to if needed.

Yes all dialog is logged so you can go back to it. But like Wanderer said to a first time player you're receiving loads of information with zero context. Like an early audio log gives you a step by step process to shut off her laser and that task is like 5 steps on multiple floors you haven't even seen a map for. It's great!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Has anybody checked out Homebody yet?

June is very bad for the wallet.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wanderer posted:

I got randomly sent a Steam key and might take a look over the weekend.

There's also an LP on Game Grumps as of today, but they're pretty awful at showcasing games.

Key point it's one of their in-house games lol

It looks like a fairly competent horror themed adventure game but I'm waiting on a second opinion before dropping $20.

e: Alright so Homebody seems to be a Groundhog Day game so I'm pretty interested in it.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 1, 2023

al-azad
May 28, 2009

"True Detective... season 2" oh no!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

Who knows, maybe they'll go for season 1 vibes and have it be pretty great until the final act, which fails in a way that makes you retroactively like the whole story a lot less!

Or season 3 where they lure you into thinking it's a rehash of season 1 until the finale where it makes you feel shame for your words and deeds.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Epic paid for exclusivity but this seems like an actual Epic funded and published game so not likely.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bramble is definitely a better playing game than Little Nightmares which I feel loses itself when it tried to be explorative instead of Another World series of set pieces.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Impressions of it have been "short but sweet, really focused Alien Isolation on a budget."

al-azad
May 28, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Fwiw everything I have read said it's more like 7-10 hours, so maybe that person knew exactly what they were doing.

I played it for about 90 minutes and have barely accomplished anything lol. It's cool so far. Pretty drat scary. A little frustrating though.

I’ll tag this for whatever reason it really is a 3-4 hour game max. What you see on the map is what you get and it ends shortly after the main objective of blowing up the debris. Don’t be alarmed if you’re actually halfway through though I don’t know if there’s any post game content

The Bunker really is Frictional taking the best part of Isolation and condensing it into a really focused experience. In terms of gameplay this is survival horror gold, the kind of game you hope flips the script from what Amnesia established. And its scope is just small and tight enough that someone with a small team and budget can replicate this experience this would fit well with a Dread X or Puppet Combo if it was going for a crusty aesthetic.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It’s different when you can fight the stalker.

The Bunker puts the survival back in horror. Turns out the secret formula is a single area in the center of the map where you can save, a monster that can access every room, limited resources to activate lights which essentially act as monster locks, and the rest is filled out with environmental hazards. You feel like a scavenger in a controlled playground.

I don’t know how they’ll follow this up but imo it’s a wasted opportunity to not do DLC or an anthology series. This style would adapt very well to a Descent-like scenario or The Thing.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Whatever the original Yume Nikki clone is called is absolutely a horror game that’s a thinly veiled domestic abuse metaphor. The commercial game is sillier in tone.

Lisa the First

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I think we're going to see a burgeoning community of speedrunners for The Bunker, people who can play perfectly in the dark and just using grenades to blow open doors and stuff.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The monster also causes the lights to glitch which is a clear sign to run, hide, or square up. Unlike the other Amnesia's there's no sanity effect that attracts enemies to you, thematically speaking what's a flesh eating ghoul to someone in the trenches?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

DourCricket posted:

For the rats I just chucked the meat right on top of whatever it was they were snacking on - while they're distracted by the meat they aren't territorial for some reason, you don't need to lure them away with it.

Finished it this afternoon - solid 4/5

Didn't love The Final Encounter but I liked what they were going for. DID love the ending, though a bit obvious.

Still, kinda perfect for the story backdrop - is being trapped in an underground shanty bunker with a warped hellbeast really that much worse than being a soldier during WWI? Sure, but not as much as you'd think.

Between a ghoul and chlorine trusting that my mask doesn't have a pin-sized hole or faulty seal I'll take the ghoul any day of the week.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cowards.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tormented Souls was a pretty solid 7/10. At times it was as frustrating as RE0 but it knew when to pull back unlike that pos which can just be unrelenting. Stop throwing these leech zombies in shoulder width hallways one after the other when you’re this stingy with resources jfc!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Finally getting to Dead Space 2 and 12 years later this game still slaps. Nobody except Capcom spends this much money on horror anymore so it’s real neat to play a game that feels timeless through good scene dressing and gross monster design.

The fact that EA’s servers aren’t even active anymore added to the blasted human dystopian future tbh

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't dislike narrative horror but I really think someone should take away The Chinese Room's metaphor privileges. Give me a spooky walking sim, leave out the "this is the story of Mary Nurr who doomed her shipmates when she downed the weather balloon LB-TRSS trapping everyone on board in a blinding storm with the mysterious gambler Lyfen Deth."

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I want to meet the Umbrella employee charged with tailoring his coat and hat. "Order just came in for a 7' tall duster and trilby. For the new inconspicuous stealth search and retrieval unit."

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I like his visible frustrated sigh like "I asked for a loving hat strap but nooo, that would detract from Nemesis' budget they said."

e: I think I confused his stun animation with a cute little sigh of frustration but he does do a more aggressive stride animation when you shoot his hat even though I don't think he actually moves faster.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 28, 2023

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Remake SH2 in the style of The Twin Snakes, slightly improved gameplay, cutscenes directed by Ryuhei Kitamura

James grabs Eddie’s pizza, swings off the noose, and slams the pizza into Pyramid Head’s face before pole vaulting off the spear while complimenting Laura on her “great butt” as Angela douses abstract daddy with gasoline.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I like that Silent Hill’s cult is based around appropriating indigenous magic which is then appropriated by Kaufman to sell drugs to tourists.

Dead Space 2 is real good but the moment I opened the shop and was treated with literal 2 dozen “free” DLC late game equipment I was reminded just how loving exhausting EA was a decade ago.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Buck Wildman posted:

GoG is doing a big retro games sale rn which, among other things, features Clive Barker's Undying at $1.50. it's p good and the price is a steal

if you get it, make sure to read the little lore book it comes with that has all the family members' diaries. one of the best lore supplements in any game I've played

Blood Omen is 96 cents, the best Zelda game starring a vampire that vortexes blood in his mouth and has a putrefying flesh spell. VAE VICTIS!!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

For potential discussion, given the ongoing SOMA divide, here's a multipart article with creative director Thomas Grip where he goes into his intentions for the game.

Part 1

Part 2

There's a lot to chew through here.

edit: from the second half, a particularly telling response (emphases mine):

Soma was some good eating for me as a fan of existential horror and it’s alarming rich people are still going on about downloading your brain to cheat death as if that means you’ll retain your consciousness and not just create a copy at best. I do think they flubbed the order of endings, they should’ve given the uplifting vision first then go back to underwater. They undercut the poignancy probably because they were afraid of letting down the audience from feeling rewarded.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

I must be editing the footage in my mind for the better version because I thought that was how the game ended, with the beautiful scene being shown and then cutting back to the underwater one then the game ending in darkness.

Other way around. Rewatching it yeah I’m just as disappointed with how it just fades to black abruptly to credits and that would’ve been more powerful if the order was reversed as an after credits scene that boots you back to the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

In the spirit of the season I played Lamentum and Stasis.

Stasis is kind of prime eurojank. They’re a South African studio but it has the civvie approved model of too ambitious for its budget and philosophical discussions but it doesn’t really do much with its premise. Amazing atmosphere and some really intense scenes (that surgery scene god drat) but I could’ve used clearer hotspots and far fewer text logs. Good, 7/10 experience recommended for intense body horror.

Lamentum I feel people slept on this one. 2D 18th century Silent Hill with all the gross meat world imagery you would expect. I can’t talk it up too much because it follows the formula of exploring a haunted mansion, but it’s a game that doesn’t really hold your hand and that level of letting the player explore its world space kept me glued to the screen. A perfect Steam deck game.