Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Wasn't the PC version hilariously atrocious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That's kind of a weird list. I don't really know how anyone would classify Velvet Assassin as being even remotely horror-related, and Scarygirl is just a lovely platformer with vaguely Invader Zim-like art. Shuggy's just kind of a generic looking puzzle game.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Roelosaurus posted:

I'm to scared to play horror games, how can I get rid of my "scaredness"?

Stop being babby

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It is so much dumber than that you won't even believe it. Watch the LP - it's great.

Seriously, I believe there's a case to be made for Illbleed legit being one of funniest games ever made.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

Is the FF2 remake really a "remake?" I thought they just went with it because it's universally praised and plays better than the first. Path of least resistence like most ports.

Yeah, it's just a port. There's no real reason why they didn't re-release all three as a trilogy. I personally don't find 2 to be massively superior.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Deadly Premonition wishes it was half as good/funny/weird as Illbleed.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Evil Within has been really good so far. Early goings and all, but it seems super ambitious and they really nailed that grungy 80s horror atmosphere - it's very Clive Barker, and it looks incredibly gorgeous. I can already tell the story is gonna go in some weeeeird directions.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I remember the Horror games thread complaining about the unkillable Baron von Blubba ghost in the trailers for The Evil Within. Is it as annoying a mechanic as it may seen?

The game is very rigidly divided into chapters so I'm thinking it's a specific mechanic for a section of the game, but I'm just assuming here, 'cause I haven't encountered it yet.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

They aren't. I don't know which version that is, but it's flat and drab as gently caress. The PC version actually looks incredible. Here's a random screenshot I took.

http://imgur.com/QYFswtE

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Well, it does look better in motion than whatever random screenshot I took without really thinking much.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Evil Within's biggest flaw is that they didn't use the Japanese title PSYCHO BREAK

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Daylight is one of the worst games I have ever played, definitely the worst horror game. It's so loving badly made in every respect, some of the worst procedural generation I have ever seen, the scares are entirely predictable and purely annoying, you literally spend the entire game just running forward and never stopping, the loving writing, ugh. gently caress that game.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Maybe portraying mental illness as a violent psychopathic nightmare scenario is played out as gently caress, but I don't think it's inherently destructive. It isn't an ignorance thing; most people know asylums aren't actually dilapidated horror mansions. I also know wars aren't actually cool buddy sweet headshots gently caress yeah situations, but I don't consider that portrayal in action games or movies necessarily problematic unless they're deliberately trying to mislead you, which most often is not the case.

Like, I'm pretty sick of it because it's SUCH a common trope, but I don't see it as being actively harmful. If you think the opposite is true, I'd like to know why that is. I can't deny that many of my favourite horror movies/games actively try to incorporate some form of insanity, mostly because not knowing what's real and what isn't is legitimately one of the most terrifying things imaginable.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Oct 19, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

Outlast doesn't avoid sexual violence and rape at all though? Sure, it's not against women but it uses the threat of homosexual rape and genital mutilation for cheap horror in the dlc.

That's actually kind of a subversion, though. I haven't played that DLC, but the fear of rape and murder of women is one of the most common tropes in horror in general, and I can't think of many examples where a male character is treated the same way.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Len posted:

So it really was people just hitting the panic button based on one contextless video.

Yeah, it turns out the game has a bunch of other flaws people are constantly harping on :v:

(I love this game)

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Clever Spambot posted:

Real talk: as someone who generally hates overly actiony AAA horror games will i enjoy evil within at all?

Maybe? It's actually kind of a deliberate departure from those types of games, RE4 especially. Although it has some sections where you're forced to fight, it's not really an action game, and you're pretty much always outnumbered and outgunned.

It's clunky for sure, but I love what it's trying to do, and assuming you can live with some of its weird quirks, you'll probably dig it. You will have to endure some inevitable frustration since the game does not hold your hand at all and isn't always super intuitive.

Edit: It hearkens back to the days when the fear of being stuck at a bad save with no ammo and low health was far worse than any actual enemy you would encounter.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Oct 20, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

woodenchicken posted:

I played it somewhere halfway between release and present day, so it kinda half-worked for me, but couldn't finish most chapters. There's a petition going on Gog for them to put it up in their store, but I suspect even their top wizards cannot get it to work reliably.

That game was just such a goddamn delight out of nowhere. There was something.. natural about its ugliness, it felt like you were actually there, axing zombies, poking giant crawling bats in the snout with a giant sharpened stick. A pulpy noir horror simulator, half-silly, half-creepy.
Considering how well-developed the whole "Spookhouse" setting was, I thought it was a part of some long-established franchise I hadn't heard anything about, but no, it's just this game. You're just dropped into it without much explanation. Nothing to see here, just a "supernatural cops" department where you bullshit casually with sgt. Haitian voodoo priest and lt. Romanian vampire.

Nocturne was loving unreal for its time. Not only was the atmosphere fantastic, the fact that each level was its own entire vignette dealing with a different setting with completely different themes, characters and enemies was super impressive. And then you went back to the spookhouse after each chapter and you could go around talking to people. Goddamn that was a cool game.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm a big SNES collector, and I'm super surprised I've never heard of Majyuuou. It looks awesome though, so I'm definitely going to import it, thanks a bunch!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't think Kuon is middling at all. Considering the time it came out, it's at least on the same level as the Fatal Frame games in my mind. It's way loving better than Rule of Rose either way.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

Theresia was a couple of horror survival exploration games subtitled Dear Martel and Dear Emile for certain phones as well as a DS port. You negotiated static scenes full of traps and puzzles while you re-examined your memories of the strange and consuming disease that shattered your life and surroundings. Grim, violent and miserable, Theresia's addictive throatcutter of a story and anxiously sympathetic characters went largely overlooked by pretty much everyone and so developer WorkJam died a quiet death before they could finish Theresia II: Dear Lizst.

I actually bought Theresia at the time because it looked and sounded really cool, but for some reason I never actually played it. Is it good?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I love how the developer is named "Pure FPS" and their first game is a third-person shooter.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

That was The New Nightmare. I think it's supposed to be a reboot of the franchise and I remember it receiving middling reviews when it was new http://store.steampowered.com/app/259190/

Yeah, at the time it was alright, but nothing special. It falls squarely into that middling survival horror game category that plagued the late 90s/early 2000s, e.g. Galerians, Countdown Vampires.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Nintendo have done stranger things than digging up an old IP. If they can get a competent developer to make it I don't see why it couldn't theoretically happen some day.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I remember being so psyched about Homecoming 'cause there was so much cool stuff they could do with a war veteran in that setting outside of Jacob's Ladder, but of course they just aped the movie and SH2 a bunch and called it a day. The main problem with Silent Hill post-4 is just creative bankruptcy.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Silent Hill is kind of like Sonic at this point. Those first three games were incredible, but ever since then everyone has just been constantly stumbling over their own feet trying to recapture that magic, but no one has any loving idea how to do so, and fans are equally divided over what even made those original games so good in the first place.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Well yeah, but let's pretend they are generally well-liked.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

Everyone always forgets that the vast vast majority of Sonic games are very bad.

No, no I don't think so. But then I'd argue the vast majority of Silent Hill games are very bad. Book of Memories or the dumb arcade game are pretty apt equivalents to Shadow.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't come to Silent Hill to hear dramatic performances. Complaining about the performances in original SH 2 is missing the whole point. They fit the tone of that game perfectly.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Basically I loving hated every moment of playing SH4, but I still look back upon it fondly because it did so many cool things with its atmosphere and setting. It's a failure as a game, but there's something really compelling about it in spite of this. I would probably still take it over better playing, but far more generic games like Homecoming,

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

Random question, but does anyone know who sang the version of Amazing Grace used in Deadly Premonition? That was purdy. Plus the scene that accompanied it was loving amazing.

Looking it up it seems to be a Japanese singer named REMI. I can't really find much info about her though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Clever Spambot posted:

The remake doesnt have the same lovely b-movie feel, but its quite good.

Oh yeah it loving does. The dialogue isn't like "created by non-English speakers" bad, but it's still plenty b-movie.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

al-azad posted:

Combat is the worst feature of any horror game.

I can't think of a single one where the combat is more than okay at best.

Condemned :getin:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think the early Silent Hills did combat pretty well. Like it wasn't good combat, but because the monsters were so prevalent and legit frightening to run into, you wanted to kill them whenever you got the chance (plus the radio as mentioned above), and doing so wasn't so hard it became annoying and it didn't take very long either. Like you don't need the best melee combat in the world as long as it isn't disruptive and it serves a purpose. And in a world as horrifying as Silent Hill, you needed those moments of levity and satisfaction from killing everything in a room.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I liked that Condemned 2 went batshit, because, for a large part of the game, I was convinced my character was too. Only thing I didn't like was at the end, when it turned into Dragonball Z and I screamed at a man until he fell off a hobo tower.

Condemned 1 is a tighter game, but I like how balls-out 2 went in pretty much every direction. There were a lot of things that didn't work but then there are things like the loving bear segment. It's awesome.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'll argue Demon's Souls is straight up a survival horror game with RPG elements.

But yeah I really want From to make a new first person game. Is the first Shadow Tower worth playing? Everyone talks about Abyss and never the original. For the record I love the original King's Field so low fidelity graphics/controls aren't an issue.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Wow, REMake is old school hard. I had some idea going in, but this is pretty unforgiving. I should probably go Easy (Nature Walk or whatever) instead of Medium (Hiking) but I'm stubborn.

I'm just worried I'm going to gently caress myself over for the later game by using stuff up too early, is that a concern? Like I already started over a couple times because I realized I didn't need to waste ammo on the first zombie (playing as Jill). Now I've got some kerosene and I don't know if I should use it right away. Figuring it out as you go along is part of the fun, but not if it makes the later game even more brutally difficult.

If all you're playing on is medium don't worry TOO much about it. Just don't be frivolous, you will get more stuff as you go on. It is better to avoid zombies altogether when possible since leaving them dead just leaves open the possibility for crimson heads.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I kind of gave up during the chapter where you turn into that Goro thing and you have to solve all sorts of abstract puzzles without really knowing why. I'm sure I could've figured it out, but it still went really off the rails at that point.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Niggurath posted:

It's wonderful, albeit a bit short. It's a super atmospheric game and teaches you about Nordic folklore, and it's just a lovely tablet port.

How does the PC version handle the companion app stuff? Because that's almost the coolest part.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The sequel totally improves everything but gets silly, so people are down on it.

Yeah in terms of just gameplay systems it's definitely much better. It has some gunplay in it that isn't very good, but otherwise yeah I think Condemned 2 gets a lot more poo poo than it deserves just because the story is total loving nonsense. I definitely like 1 more too, but 2 is absolutely an awesome game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

An ACE Team Condemend would be magical. Just make it even weirder I don't care.