Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

You can't really recreate the twist in SH2 because if you've played any indie horror game that followed in its wake + paid any attention to how a lot of modern prestige TV twists are set up, you'll figure out what's going on instantly. It's played out by this point and most people are way more genre-savvy than they were in 2001.

It also begs the question of why even do an SH2 remake in the first place, but they probably just looked at the success of the RE2 remake and went :eyepop:

And I get it, because it's the most iconic one, but also they should've just started with 1 because that game needs it more. At the very least just put out the original games on modern systems in non-poo poo remaster form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm not a huge fan of going back to 1, honestly. It has cool bits (the intro, I love the puzzles), but most of that game is completely bland identical looking corridors with very boring enemy designs, and a lot of the creepiness completely disappears after the school. The whole sewer section is atrocious. I definitely think you could make an interesting new spin on it that isn't Shattered Memories.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

roomtwofifteen posted:

I'm no fan of Bloober and the thumbnail for the trailer makes James look ridiculous, but the actual trailer was....pretty okay? Am I crazy?

They're good at graphics and I doubt they're gonna mess with the story too much. The character designs are a bit uninspired, but it looks better than most remakes that don't come out of Capcom. That said I have zero interest in a Silent Hill 2 remake, regardless of who's making it. Just put out the original version again.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Diabetic posted:

I'm looking at Silent Hill optimistically, but right now I feel loving awful for the former Team Silent guys. They're on board to prevent Bloober from screwing up but they're still hearing about it, I think they regret it but I will say, I know all these new silent hill games will sell better than the previous entries, because if lords of shadow 2 out sold every other Castlevania, there's no way the SH2 remake will do worse than the original.

I'm sure these guys don't hate Bloober as much as the rest of the twittersphere does considering they've had a working relationship for a while now.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, I liked Scorn a lot too, but I can see why people find it frustrating. Act 3 could definitely cut down a bit on the monster closets, but otherwise I didn't have major issues with it. The last act is amazing.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Noob Saibot posted:

what happens when the execs get frustrated that REverse isn’t catching on and try to green light a 4 player squad based military shooter resident evil next?

I don't think this is going to happen because they already did it twice and it failed miserably both times. Now Re:Verse is probably going to fail yet again. If anything it just means they're gonna keep remaking poo poo until that stops being successful.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

whaley posted:

i feel like i remember dino crisis having some really obnoxious key stuff

Yeah Dino Crisis Kinda loving Sucks, actually. It's a gigantic key hunt, every area looks the same, there are only like 3 enemy types and they are all raptor variations, and there's a T-Rex that chases you like two times for 30 seconds. Absolute trash game. Would be a good candidate for a remake, I suppose, but they'd have to basically make a new game.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Morpheus posted:

How's that Yomawari: Midnight Shadows (on sale on PS4 for 55% off)? I assume there's no need to play the first? And how does the game hold up - I've seen someone play the first hour of the first game, seems like some spooky stuff, how does the game hold up through the experience?

Yomawari's great. The sequel is standalone, yeah, but those games are one of the few examples of something that genuinely captures the vibes of Silent Hill. You're walking around a big, dreamlike city, you can't see that far ahead of you and the creepiness is like dread crawling under your skin rather than just spooky monsters (though there are plenty of those too).

There are certain parts that can be a bit frustrating, but the sequel is a big improvement in terms of game design, so I definitely recommend it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I wouldn't say Case of the Golden Idol is much of a horror game, but it IS very, very good, so get it anyway.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I've only played a little bit of Alien Isolation, but I keep hearing it's frustrating because there's no real logic to the way the alien works and it will always catch you if you hide? So you just gotta run whenever it's not close, and also crouching is completely useless? I don't know, I should get around to playing it, but that sort of stuff just scares me away.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I really love the original RE. There's something to the almost Kubrickian atmosphere of the mansion with its stark colours and bizarre logic that none of the following games really capture. There's some of it in the police station in 2 but it's a much more polished product and feels less strange and alien. I still find the voice acting hilarious and I LOVE the soundtrack - just a shame that most modern ports are going to be the stupid dualshock edition that butchered it.

The REmake is fantastic of course, but I'll still go back to the original on occasion. It's also really short, which helps.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Just live in Europe, we never get the DualShock version because it never came out here originally

I do live in Europe. I still think the DualShock edition is the only one available on PSN. Or at least it used to be, unless something changed recently. I know because I bought it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Maybe I need to double check I guess. Wouldn't it run at 50hz though?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I have a feeling the DS remake will change quite a bit of things regarding the story, if not the gameplay. For one they're making Isaac talk and I wouldn't be surprised if they did something entirely different from the tired rear end dead wife thing at the end of the game. We'll see! Dead Space was always good, but the actual story part of those games definitely needs a full loving do-over.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Chuck Beaver, I'm sorry, but the Dead Space lore sucks poo poo

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dead Space 1 still looks great, but plenty of parts in it have aged poorly. The atrocious asteroid shooting bit, some of the boss fights are very annoying, the space-walking, the (IMO) pretty wretched story (it's extremely surprising to me that people even remember a character like Hammond, let alone would care about his voice actor).

It remains to be seen how different the new game will be overall, but from what we've seen I can't imagine it making many choices that wouldn't be a direct improvement over the first game. It looks mostly the same, but prettier. My hope is that they change more than expected, especially WRT the story/ending, but they probably won't. Wait and see, I guess!

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Dec 6, 2022

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, for anyone who hasn't seen it, the original concept for Alan Wake was pretty wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrGOtrrfMuk

It basically looked like a more systemically driven version of Deadly Premonition.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

They should maybe consider putting it on Steam if they want it to sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Outlast 2 is one of the most blatantly transphobic games ever made, gently caress that game and gently caress that stupid series. Those devs should be getting twice the hate that Bloober is getting.