Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
The FEAR 2 SMG is probably my favorite gun in an fps, other than that I cannot remember a drat thing about it.

I actually just played Fear 1 a few weeks ago after snagging it on sale, it's still a solid and fun shooter, though the "scares" didn't really do a whole lot for me. Fear 1 seems to be a lot more sparing with Alma which works in it's favor, she starts getting old when they bring her out every level, which is what Fear 2 and 3 basically do.

folgore posted:

Monolith's other good game, Condemned, should be mentioned while we're on the subject. Like FEAR, it's action-horror with cheap scares and a poorly written story. I would say it has a much more consistent atmosphere compared to FEAR, though--if only because of who your enemies are. Bashing in the brains of psychotic homeless men with pipes and sledgehammers while exploring derelict buildings goes a long way towards enforcing a creepy atmosphere. Can't really say that super clone soldiers and evil corporate security guards with high tech weaponry have the same effect.

The first half of condemned 2 is totally amazing, I really wish they kept it as good for the entire game. I can't even remember where it all falls apart but by the time your shouting so loud hobos heads explode it feels like the dev team just said gently caress it. A shame.

Mr. Sunabouzu fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jul 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
So I played Echo Night and the ps2 Echo Night: Beyond. Fantastic games. FROM SOFTWARE is very good at building an atmosphere, haven't been that engaged in a horror game in a while. Anyone know if Echo Night 2 has any sort of fan translation or at least a guide somewhere? Tried looking around but i'm not having a lot of luck, would really like to play it though.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.

Niggurath posted:

Hahahahaha, did you just say Clock Tower 2? Cause holy poo poo....the only good Clock Tower game was the first one or the PSX one. Or if you don't mind lots of skeeziness, there's also Haunting Ground. But please never get near Clock Tower 2.

Clock Tower 2 is a unfun hot mess but everyone should play Clock Tower 3 because goddamn does that series get loving stupid. I kind of hope someone makes a new game inspired by clock tower, the snes/psx ones are the only horror games where I didn't get annoyed with a 'cannot fight monster, need to hide' mechanic.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
Yeah it actually does help a bit which i'm not sure I like since this game actually seems to expect you to be careful with using ammo. Feels like I paid money to make the game pull its punches.

Also goddamn this game looks great with GeDoSaTo

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
The kickstarter for Night Cry is up: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playism/project-scissors-nightcry

I'm so unreasonably pumped for another clock tower.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

How does RE6 compare to RE4 and 5 if I liked both of them? I remember hearing a lot of bad things about it when it came out but it seems like that view has softened a lot since then and at least a few times people have said the mercenaries mode is quite good. I'm not expecting it to be SCARY, since Resident Evil hasn't been scary since... well ever really, but how does it fare as a horror-themed shooter a-la Dead Space and such?

You have to understand that Resident Evil 6 is secretly a game entirely about wrestling monsters. Stagger enemies and use quick shot a lot because that lets you easily suplex zombies which saves on ammo, which there is surprisingly little of.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
I don't think there is even a possible timeline where Alone in the Dark: Illumination is good so this doesn't surprise me. I did actually play a bit of The New Nightmare fairly recently and boy has that aged terribly.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
Some gameplay footage of NightCry went up.

Looks kinda rough around the edges visually, still pretty excited though. Loved Clock Tower.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
Probably not. Keep in mind the Kickstarter is for the pc version. It's still gonna get released on the Vita even if it fails to get funding. Though that basically ensures that it'll never see any success since the vita is deader than elvis.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
The Siren games are very very hard to play honestly. I love em but would not recommend them. Fatal Frame 3 is excellent though, i'd point you towards that.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
I remember getting super upset at Claire because it's hard to keep track of where you are since the environments are laid out like a 3d game but the game is entirely 2d. I got turned around a lot and gave up because it was boring and frustrating. Didn't happen to me in Lone Survivor or even Clock Tower.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.

Tired Moritz posted:

I feel bad for laughing at rape hallway.

Also, anyone tried the boogeyman, from the person who made the mermaid swamp?

Yeah, it's alright. Honestly it's not super spooky but Uri does good rpg maker horror games. I enjoyed it.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
I absolutely hated The Evil Within when I first played it since I had preconceptions about what it was. It's really sloppy in parts and the combat is kind of bad at the start before you get enough upgrades to really hold your own. The trick is realizing that being spotted if you are stealthing is completely fine, you just have new parameters to deal with and need to react accordingly, kind of like the last of us. A lot of stealth horror games paint being found as like a fail state and in evil within it just adds a layer to your problems (which is weird since the intro focuses SO HEAVILY on stealth that it sets you up pretty hard for the rest of the game to be that). I think around chapter 4 the game was starting to click and by whatever chapter the mansion was in I was having a good time.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
Just got a backer email saying Nightcry comes out on the 29th. Christ that was a fast turnaround, I thought it wouldn't be out until late spring. It's pretty weird and looks kinda jank but the alpha I played had a cool charm to it that you don't get anymore. Like a j-horror b movie trying to be an american b-movie.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
I have an unreasonable love for Clock Tower and it's weird barely-coherent nature.

Related note anyone give Dead Secret a try? Gonna dive into it tonight.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
Yeah i'm getting that same vibe. It's everything i've ever wanted in another clock tower :allears:

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
Has anyone playing NightCry run into a situation where there's just straight up nothing left to shake the scissorman with? I think if you press the skip cutscene button when the game plays an animation of Monica hiding it auto fails you and he destroys that hiding spot. Literally the only option left to me was the washing machine and that's a trap.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
I did some science and yeah every hiding spot works Once. This includes reusing the same idea like hiding in a closet in two different rooms. I'm not sure if I prefer that to Clock Tower's dice roll with diminishing returns each time you reuse a hiding spot but at least it's clearer I guess.

Oh also turns out you can duck behind the counter in the store and that doesn't have a minigame, it just always works. I think it's this games toilet broom? That bucket should fuckin work though with how prominently they display it. What is and what is not an escape point could really benefit from being highlighted during a chase or something.

5 hours in and i'm still completely unclear how the point and click movement actually works. Sometimes the character will go in that direction forever and other times they will stop on the spot you clicked on. It's kinda bad.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
So Back In 1995 might be the worst horror game I've ever played? I beat it in 70 minutes without ever getting hit once because the enemies are incapable of hitting you. I had to intentionally stand in their way for anything to be a threat. It was probably the most boring videogame I've played this year. There's just nothing there except for some mild nostalgia for the ps1 even though this game looks way worse than even Clock Tower did on the ps1. Thank god for refunds.

Mr. Sunabouzu fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 28, 2016

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

You guys know of any pixelated horror games that are as good as Lone Survivor? I really like that one and I need something to freak me out this summer.

Stray Cat Crossing was pretty solid, it's not very long though. The Count Lucanor is sorta horror, I haven't played it myself but a lot of people have recommended it to me.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
The further you go into Corpse Party sequels the longer and more frequent Piss Quest™ happens in them. The pc version that just got released on GoG and Steam is pretty much fine though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.

Drunken Baker posted:

All of EgoManiac's Siren 2 videos were hosted on now defunct sites. I wonder if he still has them on an old hard drive somewhere. I'll have to send a PM inquiring about it.

Yeah but thankfully most of the old SA lp's were put up on archive.org. That one is over at https://archive.org/details/LP_Siren_2