Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Dead Space 2 overplayed it's hand a bit. I remember reading an interview with one of the developers prior to the game coming out where he stated that DS1 was super-tense pretty much the whole time because of how small the Ishimura was, and that DS2 would have long 'down' sections, to further accentuate the suspense when it did occur. Of course, when it came out, DS2 ended up being like DS1 except on board a huge-rear end space station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Holy poo poo this looks awesome.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

From the gameplay footage it looks like ghostydude just teleports in and gooses you, which is a lot less tense than a trackable, towering dahaka or something.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

woodenchicken posted:

Haha I just remembered that AvP 2001 limited you to five saves per level.
That game was basically a perfect horror experience.

Didn't the aliens actually hunt you throughout the level? Like, they started in a random location and would then track you down?

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

A Jacob's Ladder remake with Steven Soderburgh directing and Cronenburg doing the practical effects is probs the closest any movie would come to being a "Silent Hill" movie.
But that's a pipe dream.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

adamantium|wang posted:

Considering we live in a world where the single best videogame movie in existence is Mortal Kombat, I have to agree with this post.

This is truth.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

So how long until it's shut down for infringement?

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Five nights at Freddies is a game a really respect, but I can't play it because it's just jump scares. I'm a huge pussy with jump scares which is why I much prefer the Silent Hill brand of horror. That being said, if Junji Ito is actually working on silent hills I'll be all over that poo poo.

Wait, what? Junji Ito and Silent Hills? Where did you hear that?

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

Siren's setting was fantastically creepy and awesome, and the basic mechanic of having to track enemies using their own sight while avoiding them was high tension personified. The lack of a centralized, continuous narrative/play through and the reliance on replaying the same episodes over and over again really hurt it, though.
It wasn't in this thread, but whoever said that Siren was SH's true successor was spot on.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

I never played The Dark Eye but I distinctly remember seeing ads for it in magazines back in the day, you don't forget visuals like that. I should watch an LP or something.

I also remember a first person shooter that was horror themed that used digitized graphics for its enemies but the name escapes me at the moment. I don't know if it was any good but once again the magazine ads were striking.

Was it an arcade shooter? Carnival comes to mind.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

dijon du jour posted:

Okay, I know this looks bad, and knowing Konami it probably is, but I just had a thought.

Maybe Konami is just removing it temporarily to change a few things? As it is right now P.T., while a darn good game on its own, is still an advertisement for a game that will never come out, and leaving it up as-is will just cause confusion among new people who find and download the game in the future. Maybe they're removing P.T. so they can edit out the "Silent Hills coming sooooonnn..." ending and then put it back up?

At this point Konami probably doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt in any capacity but it came to mind as a possible reason as to why not only are they removing it from the store they're also putting an expiration date on all digital copies of it.

No, Konami are vindictive shits and are pulling PT to spite Kojima.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

Viewtiful Jew posted:

About that...

Of course this is just that Superbunnyhop video that had an anonymous source which may or may not have been true and not an actual play-through but....

"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim made by Konami Digital Entertainment Co. Ltd."

Jesus Christ, this is surpassing Capcom levels of dickishness.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

This might be a weird thing to ask, but are there any good horror game lpers? Like, people who play or show off horror games without going into (fake) screaming fits when doing so. Getting scared is fine and all, and even having a facecam isn't the end of the world (for me anyway), but it seems like most videos showing off horror games go the markiplier route, which I don't like that much.

Check out HarshlyCritical on yt. Pretty much a normal dude playing games.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

Firstborn posted:

AH well. Worth a shot. I can always consume some media where someone is shooting a vampire in the face with a musket or machine gun or something.

I suppose The Witcher technically counts, right?

Nosferatu is on Steam, it's allegedly pretty spooky.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

Japans hatred of Europe, even in this digital age, is unacceptable and racist. Once the refugee crisis is done with their time is up.

I agree, Japanese developers need to stop making reverse control schemes that can't be changed by the (Western) player.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

DS3 spoilers - I'm confused on where all that biomass came from for those necromorph moons around Earth in the ending

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

DS3 - the more I think about it the lazier that ending gets. Poof, all life ends right now, by these ravenous living moons that somehow live for millions of years without any sustenance? And they haven't ended all life before but now they defs are? I get that the series ended and they wanted to really end it but like, killing all life via deus ex machina seems extreme.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

Bert of the Forest posted:

But seriously, what are some other good kid friendly horror stuff?

Maximo: Ghosts to Glory for PS2 is basically a 3d Ghosts and Goblins that has some genuinely creepy/scary moments, but is mostly light-hearted fun.
Jersey Devil for PS1 also comes to mind.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

Was anyone else dissatisfied with the last part of Inside? By the time I was the Blob I just wanted to eat those fuckers and metastasize into something even more horrifying and go on a good old rampage, but nooo, gotta die like a beached whale for ~Art~. At least let me kill the loving dogs, you smug Danish pricks

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Days Gone. I think that game actually looks kind of cool if it delivers on the idea of being chased through an open world by hordes of infected like the trailer. It at least looks like a different take on a zombie game.

That gameplay trailer made me irrationally angry. Why are you turning around randomly and wasting ammo and running in circles arrgghh

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

The very first time the hands jump out in Eversion was great. Really, Eversion is pretty much entirely built on what you're talking about.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

Does Scorn have a plot out yet? Weirdly I'm getting strong Soul Reaver vibes out of it.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

Crabtree posted:

Or something that would attack the mold itself. Like padded locks would be used against you, but if there was some anti-fungal chemical that would keep the molded and their spores away, that would actually be shelter.

Sort of like the UV lamps in Dying Light?

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

Jukebox Hero posted:

Gone Home really stuck in my craw because it was always sold to me as a horror game about a stormy night and an abandoned, ransacked house

When the game came out and it was absolutely not that(because it's actually a story about one of your family members coming out of the closet) I was a little pissed; I'm not sure what its marketing campaign was originally, how forward were they with "this is not a scary game, this is a game about sad people you never meet"?

Not to mention that it released at a twenty dollar price point for a 1-2 hour game.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

There was a rather infamous gif of a MLB game glitch where your custom dude got turned into an indescribable mass of tubes and holes that resembled flesh, smoke, and hair. And the animations still worked, so it blinked, somehow.
I figure that's what HPL was going for.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

Bloodborne's true ending is a pretty brilliant inversion of lovecraftianism.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

Do game IPs run on the same copyright rules as movies, ie if you don't use the IP within a certain amount of time it reverts back to the original holder/ becomes public use?

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

The best part of Dying Light is sitting in a safehouse at night and realising that only a dinky UV light stood between you and death

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

al-azad posted:

I'd say any time there's silenced followed by a loud noise. And I mean ear piercingly loud, like it registers in the red if you were measuring it. I haven't played imscared but watching streams there's a moment where you turn around and a dude is behind you but the audio cue indicating it's a scare isn't that loud. Sudden images or whatever isn't enough for a jump scare, what actually makes you jump is our natural instinct to be alerted to loud noises. It's a cheap trick in the same way raising your fist and hitting someone for flinching.

Any sudden scare that makes you feel dumb and embarrassed, like, drat, that made me jump? is a jumpscare/catscare. Any sudden scare that resonates and stays with you is a terror proper.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

The only fertilizer for your crops... is the blood of your neighbors!!1!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

Monoclinic posted:

I finally played through Dead Space, after years of having it sit in my Steam library. It looks pretty good at high res + high fps, for a 2008 game.

Overall I thought it was pretty good. I liked that all the UI displays and such are "in-world" and the zero G stuff was cool. The plot was sorta generic sci-fi spooks but not bad, and the devs did a good job with putting lots of details + lore into the world.

I played through only using the plasma cutter, which got a bit dull but it's just so good I never really felt the need to explore other weapons.

The gameplay also got repetitive, like it was padded out with various macguffins needing to be fixed to extend playtime.

I enjoyed my playthrough, but I figure I can probably skip the sequels of they are more of the same.

Someone (Mandalore?) made the comparison to the Alien movies and its spot-on: DS2 is DS1 but bigger and better (and louder), DS3 is a studio-muddled mess with some good bits in it.