Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
A good fellow has made a detailed recreation of the P.T. hallway for PC. I believe its only the first run but its get the atmosphere right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It is weird to me to remember that Yahtzee actually makes games, and even decent horror games at that. For some reason u have an image of him being a hack at it, but all the games have been decently good IIRC

His Chzo Mythos adventure games were of wildly varying quality but Trilby's Notes is quite excellent.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Quovak did an LP of all the games a while back. Worth taking a read through if you don't want to download some free games yourself.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Frictional release soma early and save us from this gone hell

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Kortel posted:

I don't like Alien Isolation. The atmosphere is great but the teleporting alien is killing the game for me plus it's psychic ability to locate me. I'm also feeling like the game is waaay too long.

The alien neither teleports nor is it psychic. Its just way smarter than the monsters in a lot of other horror games.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Kortel posted:

Looking forward to SOMA though.

If the Alien in Isolation disappointed you and Frictional has done their encounter design the same way they did it in Amnesia, I have some bad news for you.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Evfedu posted:

What is PT?

What is paradise?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Pretty much the only monsters I found obnoxious were the disco balls in the Curie and the dive suit thing in Tau. Everything else was a joke, so perfunctory that I wonder why Frictional bothered with them at all.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Neo Rasa posted:

That reminds me, anyone designing a horror game of any kind ever should be required to watch this first:

http://teamcoco.com/video/clueless-gamer-horror-edition

It'd be better to watch this one.

The next Frictional game will feature players being stalked by their unpaid mortgage.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

quote:

which releases your fabulously-quaffed soul to roam

:eng101: Coiffed. Quaffed would be if your soul was drinking a bunch!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

chitoryu12 posted:

And yeah, the microtransactions and co-op were also problematic. Co-op wouldn't ordinarily be a problem, but they locked out missions and dialogue if you didn't have a second player so you got an incomplete experience if you tried to play by yourself.

To be fair, the stuff they locked out was stuff exclusively related to Carver and his issues. If you played solo, you still got the complete story of Isaac's Terrible Horrible No-Good Very Bad End of the World

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Macaluso posted:

I wish all the success in the world to the Five Nights at Freddy's Guy

http://www.destructoid.com/five-nights-at-freddy-s-world-looks-strange-318439.phtml

Part of me says this is some huge bait-and-switch and FNAF World will be another horror game.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Oxxidation posted:

From the Instagram of Norman Reedus:

Please stand still, and stay silent.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Basic Chunnel posted:

The problem with SOMA's VA isn't that he's present so much that he lacks affect. He's more Troll 2 than Alien. Speaking of which, A:I's VA wasn't awesome but it was a hell of a lot better than SOMA's

Whoever played Ripley was kind of flat when speaking normally, but when she needed to convey being scared out of her mind she nailed it perfectly.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

you should advise them to make a ghost reflecting the political dangers of snipping off foreskin

Just a big ol' severed foreskin that follows you around and whispers "did you know that male genital mutilation has been associated with mental illness later in life"

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Pyramid Head, but with a yarmulke and a pair of scissors.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I thought the thing people would actually get upset about in that trailer is that they're apparently forcing Cthulhu into a story that at no point involved Cthulhu.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Zombie Samurai posted:

On a totally unrelated note, if you are a smart and cool person who has Lakeview Cabin Collection, episode 6 was just added today on the beta branch. Very loosely based on Alien, this one has you on a space station of degenerate scientists with face-hugging parasites, robots, log entries, beer, ghosts, and all sorts of other weirdness. Steam is being a shithead and breaking my image links or otherwise I would post some.

Are the puzzles as obtuse as Episode 5?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Outlast 2 gameplay. IGN also has a brief article about the PAX East demo. Be warned that the page for the article is garbage.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 24, 2016

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

voltcatfish posted:

Hideo Kojima's Death Stranding? It looks like it might be a P.T reincarnation because it has Norman Reedus in it

e: but of course it might not even be horror who knows

Video of the announcement.

Could be a horror game. It could also be Kojima freed from the shackles of Metal Gear and achieving his true form as Auteur.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The car park boss was pretty bad. And the mansion where Ruvik randomly spawned and beelined for you was also real crap.

The Kidman DLCs were goddamm exquisite though.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I don't really know how Ice Pick functions because their whole business plan appears to be "Release one niche-as-gently caress game every five years."

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

VoidBurger posted:

Year of the Ladybug has a pitch trailer which includes some new, intensely stupid monster concepts drawn gorgeously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdSjAwlf0Qo

A punchline for me is: "We wanted to bring something positive to the horror game industry," followed by this image.

quote:

A full story that was completed before anything else.

How many idea guys are working on this game

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The powerful symbolism of a man with a bonsai tree for a head.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
What killed Oxenfree for me was there's waaaaaay too much backtracking with nothing happening towards the end of the game, especially if you want to get all the collectibles.

Also the coda on the original ending was pretty stupid, but I haven't played the new ending they released yet.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Yardbomb posted:

Went through Outlast 2 demo, devs still want their crotch gore.

I'll give Red Barrels credit for being one of the only developers to go full bore into male fears of emasculation.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

joylessdivision posted:

Sure, possessed Chuck E Cheese animatroncis doesn't sound that scary on the surface but I'll be honest I was at a CEC about a year ago for a friend's daughters party and those things are actually loving unnerving, especially after spending about an hour playing FNAF many months previous.

I honestly wonder if Chuck E. Cheese has experienced loss of revenue due to FNAF or if they've approached Scott for a licensing deal over Halloween.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I wasn't wholly sold on Zombi till (very early spoilers) having to frantically race from the grocery store after the alarm went off and hearing the chasing zombies panting behind me as I scrambled to the safety of the fast travel. And then having to desperately fend off a goddamn horde of the fuckers with each individual zombie posing a very real threat and at least one more always clambering over the barricades as I struggled to deal with the first.

Its an exhausting game, but in a good way.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
They look like animatronics to you?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Kilano posted:

vr horror is actually so terrifying they need to find a way to vet out people with heart conditions

Its pretty entertaining watching HarshlyCritical play a VR game and admitting that its a mediocre game while leaping out of his goddamn skin at every jump scare.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
HarshlyCritical did a Tattletail playthrough. Looks like a solid game, the Furby knock-off is authentic as gently caress, but it is kind of a one and done.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Pretty sure that woman is slightly insane because she also did this video which is horrifying in its own way.

Watch to the very end.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Jukebox Hero posted:

I really hope Outlast 2 knocks it out of the park; They've got a lot of good ideas when they don't go for just mutilation.

And hopefully less penile focus, that got weird.

The demo ended with a dude getting his junk pick-axed off so I wouldn't put your hopes too high.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah considering that kind of stuff is a main plot point everywhere else I thought there would be a reason behind it for Ethan but nope!

I mean, its pretty heavily implied that he's infected by Eveline. Remarkable regeneration abilities aside, he also sees hallucinations and instructions from her. I forget if it was in the mine or on the ship, but there's a file that mentions an early stage of infection is seeing Eveline speaking to you.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

exploded mummy posted:

You should have gone with the guy who decided to make a chess themed lock for literally no reason to open the sewage plant in RE2 instead :v

The Raccoon City Manager did not take his forced retirement well at all.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

GlyphGryph posted:

I accidentally played bay of pigs instead of real amnesia. There were a few good moments and themes, and I finished it, but it was overall... kind of disappointing

In retrospect, expecting The Chinese Room to deliver anything other than a walking simulator with interesting, if not necessarily competent writing was foolish of everybody.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Has anyone tried Detention? It got pretty good reviews and looks pretty good in the trailers but not sure if I want to plop down $10 without any first-hand thoughts.

HarshlyCritical did a playthrough. Solid game with a lot of Silent Hill influences, got a little abstract for me by the end.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

chitoryu12 posted:

It reminds me the most of System Shock 2 with the grid inventory system. Either way, it's definitely taking cues from the Shock games and that's a good thing in my book.

I hear if you scrape the image off the front of the box, it just says System Shock 2 underneath.

Regardless, it looks amazing but I don't really want to support Bethesda's lovely business practices. :negative:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

woodenchicken posted:

Pathologic demo up now for non-backers.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/505230

*grabs the nearest person and shakes them by the shoulders while screaming this in their face*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I want a game that accurately reflect mental illness so half your enemies will be too depressed to get out of bed and the other half will be really enthusiastic and get in your personal space a bit too much.