Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

The second phone call says if you don't check on the Pirate Cove puppet he's gonna getcha. Your fault for not paying attention.

Correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't looking at pirates cove before you are supposed to auto trigger it, then it switches to keep an eye on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Theres a difference between the nature of a video game and dead space's "These are spooky things, they are spooky but you can shoot them to make them less spooky". I don't play many horro games and am a coward when it comes to them but in dead space everything is a logistical "How can I kill these guys" problem, I feel powerful.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

Takes place in a strip club version of Freddy's, sold exclusively through furaffinity

That certainly would be a step up in horror.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

AGirlWonder posted:

So if Five Nights at Freddy's 2 takes place both before and in a different location from the first game, then why is it even haunted? Because it looks like the murders took place at the smaller location. I'm assuming it's really simple and I'm just not getting it.

I've read the thread, but I don't remember if there's an issue with spoiling year-old games, so I'll play it safe.

black text about FNAF 2 Spoilers

The original event that caused possessed Animatronics was way back when the place was just a single location, they then upbranded to the FNAF2 place when they went franchise then downgraded after bad stuff happened and re opened at the smaller place for the first game (old place, different from the "Original" location). There are alot of murders in the backstory of the games.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

This is what happens when you mix a very minimalist (some might say sparse) setting with the internet, people fill in the blanks and get attached to what they fill in as it becomes the talking point of the work for them. Like what is there to talk about in FNAF apart from weird theories based upon each game's small hints and clues?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

al-azad posted:

The wiki is probably the best resource, I don't know if anyone has written a comprehensive guide. I've only played the first game but spoiler if there's actually someone out there who gives a poo poo:

Bonnie is always on the left. His goal is to stand by the door long enough to disable it and which point you'll lose the next time you check the camera. He disables the camera when he leaves a room and commonly appears outside the office. Chica is the exact same as Bonnie except she's on the right and can only move to adjacent rooms. Her goal is the same as Bonnie but she lingers by the door while Bonnie splits within a couple seconds.

Freddy will only attack from the right and moves when you're not looking at him. Foxy has 4 phases: curtains, curtains parted, fully visible, gone. If Foxy isn't at Pirate's Cove then you must immediately shut the left door. If you look at the hallway Foxy will run and you'll probably lose, otherwise he'll walk up to the office and bang on the door then reset to curtains/curtains parted. Foxy is seemingly arbitrary but is on a hidden timer. Watching him too often speeds up the timer but it'll also speed up if the interval between your last view was too long.

So the "strategy" to FNAF is that Bonnie and Chica are there to waste your energy. Because Chica and Bonnie won't attack until you look at the camera, Foxy and Freddy are there to trigger that state. Freddy will go through the right door but is invisible if Chica is in the room with him. He doesn't appear in the blind spot so if Freddy isn't on camera then he's in whatever room Chica is currently in. Foxy is the easiest to deal with since there are only two states you really need to care about : docile or attacking. Foxy will drain a ton of energy if he bangs on the door so you have to get into a rhythm of checking his room while you keep tabs on Freddy.

Following on from this the optimal set of actions to beat FNAF1 is

Check right, close if animatronic there, shut left door, open camera to check on foxy, repeat

Or at least that is how I remember you beat 20/20/20/20

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Ekster posted:

I understand the complaint that Alien: Isolation dragged on for too long towards the end but I have no idea what people are talking about when they complain about the Alien's AI.

git gud scrubs?

The problem with Alien Isolation's AI is most people tend to play games where you are facing an nigh unstoppable threat as carefully as possible, taking their time and waiting. Alien isolation punishes that without explicitly telling you, the AI hovering and returning if you stand still for too long isn't well explained from what I remember of the game .

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Jsor posted:

To some degree this is true of a lot of modern horror games, though. Hell, in Amnesia the game gets surprisingly easy just by running around like a coked up monkey. There's not too much wrong with programming horror AI assuming the player is playing like it's a horror game.

Well the problem is the feedback mechanism, most people will see the Alien hovering around and getting closer and decide to double down on being Super slow and careful, which obviously makes it worse.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

unpacked robinhood posted:

What's the health fisting thing in soma, is it their weird structure gel ? Why does the hand goes deeper as the game progresses ?

Slight spoilers about a hidden "Puzzle" (non story) it is necessary to avoid all of them except the first to get the last piece of the code to unlock the archive with concept art etc

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Speedball posted:

You're joking.

If that was me, this is according to The reddit guy who found the code by unpacking the game files

You can just copy the code from reddit if you don't want to go through the hassle.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Bogart posted:

I'm never going to play these games. Just tell me what the crazy endings are.

Every challenge except last Ennard is walking about in the skin suit, having a fun time, everyone loves him... and then things start rotting and people are less and less happy as he grows purple, more scared even. Then he breaks down... but he can't die

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

Dead Space was never really scary to me so I never got the huge gripe of them getting progressively less so myself :v:

Dead space to me had good scary atmosphere.. outside of combat, I remember being really creeper out by the medical wing before enemies showed up and my brain kicked into shooting mode.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Half of the reason I have any interest in that game is that I want to see if it's as offensive as people make it out be or if it's just goons being goons and missing the point so they can be mad about things*

*Not saying that is the case. I haven't played it! so Y'all may very well be right. Although in my experience Bloober's games aren't brilliant or anything but they aren't particularly badly written, so I am curious to see how this subject matter was actually handled and forming my own opinion on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ske2ddvQqbg
Chip and voidburger did a stream of it if you want to watch

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Finished as much as I can find in Signalis. Game good, IMO. I am very glad I played it :3:

Endgame question: I noticed that there's four achievements left, and there's at least one other ending besides Promise. As spoiler-free as possible, what do I need to do to see the other endings and get the other achievements? Just a tiny hint to push me in the right direction now that I'm staring at the post-credits title screen.

for endings, play differently or do a scavenger hunt with an arg (you are not finding this one without a guide?.

play on the harder difficulty for at least one achievement

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

"Play differently"? What, like go really fast or something? Hmm...I wonder how fast I can complete this game now, actually.

It's very hard to go into more detail without just explaining how the systems work. 3 endings are playstyle related and 1 are related to the previous spoiler.

I believe there are no ending specific achievements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

drat, okay. Is this all something I’d be expected to figure out on my own?

Not really

Play Style endings are basicslly 3 scores which each have a variety of ways to make them go up.

The arg ending is decoding sounds into images to find items that have no prompt to pick them up.