Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I admit to being a spergy poo poo here but I just detest the idea of the Isolation protagonist being Ripley's daughter. I want us to get the gently caress away from Alien/s and do something different for once. This doesn't just go for Alien games but pretty loving much all of sci-fi.

On a more positive note if you have a Gamecube or Wii track down Eternal Darkness. It's easily one of the best horror games ever made and if by some chance you don't know the main gimmick to the game make sure to go in blind because the less you know the better it'll be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Hakkesshu posted:

I really don't think a single person would do this. Ripley's daughter is an almost apocryphal part of the Aliens canon (or lack thereof, as is the case), she's mentioned in a short scene from the director's cut of Aliens with like two or three lines devoted to her. No one would care if her story was never told, because the whole point of that scene was that she grew old and died, not that she became Ripley 2.0.

And those few minutes of mention are all you need for Aliens to give context for her being so strongly maternal to Newt. Ripley is still in the mindset of being a mother and of course blah blah blah, that's another subject. Again my original point is leave Alien and Aliens the gently caress alone for once for chrissakes. It has a million other problems but one issue with Colonial Marines is that it feels this need to reference every single thing ever from Aliens. In Isolation I have a feeling we're gonna have some nav computer called, I dunno, Father. We'll see a drinking bird on a table after we get out of cryosleep. There's gonna be an android somewhere who may or may not gently caress us over. Could even tie in Prometheus somehow somewhere. I know again I'm being all :spergin: and :goonsay: about this but I'm trying really, REALLY hard to be optimistic and it's hard.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Oh for fucks sake.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Mustang posted:

Yeah Eternal Darkness was awesome, definitely go in blind if you end up playing it. Would be cool if it was remade or rereleased on steam or something.

There was that kickstarter for a sequel that went pear shaped and apparently the guy who was going to be doing it was kind of lovely. I want to say they were planning on cutting it down a bit and releasing it episodically which usually turns me off but if any game could actually be really, really good with episodic content it's an Eternal Darkness sequel. With a bit of googling though it looks like that died back in 2013 :( Oh well.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Oh yeah, it's all coming back to me about Dyack and the dumb poo poo behind Silicon Knights. There's part of me that just wants Retro to do literally every Nintendo game ever now because they have never once broken my faith in making good, or at least solid, games.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The Dead Space series in general dropped the ball early by making you such a killing machine so quickly, which ruins most of the tension and turns it into an action game. Which is fine if it's an action game, but they tried to sell it as a horror game, which it is not in this reviewer's eyes.

All the Dead Space games are the best Resident Evil games since RE4. I have my issues with DS3 but 1 and 2 are fantastic all around if you take them as straight-up action titles. One thing that helps the DS games immensely is to play them on the hardest difficulty right out of the box since that definitely makes them immensely more about survival and resource management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

oriongates posted:

SH1 was definitely a terrific experience. Overall I liked silent hill 2 better but I actually consider silent hill 1 to be the superior game just because it took stuff that looked like this:

Part of the reason Silent Hill works is because the graphics are crap. Things are so vaguely defined that it makes your brain work overtime to fill in the blanks or imagine things which in turn makes them scarier.

Alien Isolation is up for Pre-order on Steam now if anyone is interested: http://store.steampowered.com/app/214490/