Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

poptart_fairy posted:

I think I've seen FNAF fan art like that.

Stay off the Tumblrs, kid, that stuff'll rot your brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Azran posted:

Blood Curse has that level where the girl hides inside a Shibito house. :gonk: One of the best levels in a horror game.

Which reminds me, I'm always on the lookout for ~ that level ~ in horror games, the one that just sticks with you after you finish your playthrough. If only, because I like finding them on Youtube and watching them because I'm a wuss :v: I dunno, the Plaster Splicer Basement in Bioshock, the Shibito House in Siren: BC, the Mall in Condemned (which I haven't been able to find a video on just yet, was it in 1 or 2?)

The Mall was in the first Condemned. Chip Cheezum did a subtitled LP of it that flew under just about everyone's radar that's worth watching. I don't think he ever planned to do the second game, but that's not surprising, really.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I think of the Saw movies as thrillers with a gimmick. Especially the first one, it has a lot more in common with Seven and other psychological thrillers than an outright horror film. Its just that as the series blew up, the focus started to be more on the traps and finding new ways to kill or almost kill people.

The first Saw is absolutely a psychological thriller. I've shown it to people who only knew of the series via the sequels, and they've been surprised at how taught and engaging it is. I honestly wish they'd focussed on that side of things, rather than going down the 'Rube Goldberg meets Hellraiser' route they eventually went.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Xenomrph posted:

I liked the Saw series a lot, the Hello Zepp motif is one of the best "OH gently caress TWIST ENDING" motifs in movie soundtrack history, and seeing the first one in the theatre was a huge crowd of people was amazing when the twist at the end happened - the entire theatre LOST THEIR GODDAMN MINDS and it was unforgettable.

The first 3 are pretty legit great and then the series kinda nosedives pretty hard, but Saw 6 is also great (partly because it's the only one in the series where you get the sense that the protagonist learned an important lesson by the end). They did squander the opportunity for a really shocking ending, though.

I liked the games, mostly because they were legit interesting puzzle games that happened to have fatal, gory consequences if you hosed up. The combat mechanics in the first game were broken and borderline un-fun, but the environments really nailed the "derelict, abandoned structures" aesthetic. The games' "setpiece" traps were a bit of a letdown - they're pretty much just scaled-up versions of the basic puzzles that litter the entire rest of the games, which is kind of unfortunate.

the original plan was to have Saw 7-9 be a final trilogy, showing how the Jigsaw concept has invaded the public consciousness at large and become a social movement - Jigsaw becoming a kind of 'societal cancer', if you will. But Saw 6 I think had some of the lowest takings at the box office of the series, and the premise was basically a joke by that point, so they decided to end the series with the 7th. It's a shame really, I always wanted to see a film set in the near-future where 'Jigsawing' people is commonplace, to the point where it's basically accepted by the powers that be.

The first Saw game wasn't bad - it's an easy 1000 gamer points/Platinum trophy - and I genuinely liked the idea of 'boss puzzles', but gently caress doing randomized switchboard puzzles under a time limit. That killed my enthusiasm for the game faster than anything.

Do you have to replay the game twice to get the achievements for the two different endings, or is there a chapter select like in the first game?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Relin posted:

That Tormentum game came out on Steam a few days ago. Probably poo poo (all adventure games are poo poo) but I'll watch an LP of it I guess http://store.steampowered.com/app/335000/

It's short, but good fun. No moon logic puzzles that I could see, but if you don't get everything right, bad end for you. I'd get it when it inevitably goes on sale at Halloween.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

This is about the point where we find out they'd barely done any work on the game, isn't it.

I don't know how any one company can shoot themselves in the foot this badly. They gave Kojima carte blanche to screw with the player, an activity he loves only slightly less than elaborate plots and movie references. Hell, they could've called the new game Hideo Kojima Fucks With Your Head and it would've sold millions. This must've been beyond ugly for a split like this to happen.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I have a similar problem (well, the first part at least) with The Evil Within. There's some great moments in the game, which is good, because you'll probably wind up replaying them again and again due to the game being so stingy with its checkpoints. I tend to play til I die, then back on the shelf it goes for another while.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

A.o.D. posted:

Doom 3 didn't have enough HUGE GUTS for me. That, and the shotgun is incredibly anemic in that game.

Doom Guy doesn't reload. Whoever decided reloading should be A Thing in Doom 3, I hope they were paid in unsold copies of the Doom novels.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Then let's just hope they sell the ip, and to someone who will use it.

Good news: Konami puts their ips up for sale.

Bad news: they're snapped up by Capcom and Square Enix.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Industrial posted:

I haven't seen The Collection so maybe it changes but he sure as hell seemed supernatural in The Collector when he elaborately trapped the entire house in like 5 minutes.

I ducked out of the first one about 20 minutes in for some reason (can't remember a thing about the movie, so I may be wrong about it) but I hear the second is a vast improvement and actually a solid film.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

khy posted:

Are there any other good horror games akin to Dead Space 1? Sort of a mixture between horror and action?

Resident Evil never really managed to draw me in, and Silent Hill was never action I thought.

The Evil Within hit all my needs. It starts off like RE4, to the point where it feels like a retread at times, then goes off on its own course into the Batshit Nebula. Definitely the most fun I've had with an action/horror game in a while.

Oh, and one of your primary weapons is a crossbow that can shoot flaming harpoons.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Crabtree posted:

At this point its just a game of waiting to see which one of them gets drunk enough to say gently caress it, call the other up and make Not Silent Hill anyway.

Kojima, Del Toro and Junji Ito walk into a bar and all your most hideous nightmares come true.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Kokoro Wish posted:

On the other hand,

I'm not even a fan of the series and I have to admit that some of the merch is cute as hell.

FirstAidKite posted:

I just wanted to know what the deal with the chest was. The fact that he originally intended to end the series there without showing wtf was with the chest is some dumb bullshit

What was the reasoning for that again? Didn't he say something like 'no, you've all failed to work out what the story was all about, so I'm keeping it locked forever' and pulled the plug on the patch that was supposed to answer everything forever?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Kokoro Wish posted:

On the other hand, Anatomy.

The 'gradual breakdown/degradation of reality' trope is one I will never get tired of.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Xenomrph posted:

I impulse-bought a copy of The Evil Within for like $10 for Scary Games Month, did I gently caress up and buy a bad game by mistake?

I absolutely loved it, barring chapter 3, which is annoyingly hard for how early it is. That said, it's a hugely divisive game, so you'll either enjoy the hell out of it or regret being born with working thumbs. There's very little middle ground.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

unpacked robinhood posted:

For a minute I thought the game had an obnoxious youtuber voiceover with the shittiest gimmick providing commentary and I'm still not sure if I'm wrong because I can't stand it.

Did anyone make that already ? You could have a nasal nerd whining over your in game decision and doing fake rear end rage segments

The Deadly Tower of Monsters has its own faux DVD commentary, but that's decently funny at times. I don't see how a Youtube/scarecam gimmick could be funny without making me actively hate the game and everything about it.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

His playthrough of Anatomy is worth a watch. It's all fun and games until reality decides it hates you.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

^^^ I got the impression the FNaF 4 rooms were being observed for some reason but the ill child was still there. That's a hell of a theory!

At the very least the Henson Creature Shop animatronics will be amazing. I'm hoping the FNaF film has a lot of cheesy humor like Sister Location (I'm still tying to parse what the point of the animated cutscenes are, but hell if I didn't laugh at every one of them).

It's weird how much it wants to be Portal 2. The computer voice even sounds like the original test chamber voice before Wheatley and GLaDOS get involved.

Damned if 'Exotic Butters' doesn't make me laugh every time though.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Terrible Opinions posted:

The bottom left monster in the third image appears to be blatantly stolen art from D&D 4th edition. The rest of the art might be stolen too.

Much of it is, or at least was. I counted art assets from Warhammer 40k and the Splatterhouse remake, as well as bits and pieces taken from the internet at large.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Just going back to Alan Wake quickly, one thing I really loved only occurred to me after the fact: after you realise he's basically been rewriting reality to ensure the Dark Presence will fail, you realise it's entirely likely he set things up for Barry to be the Eye of Sauron. He not only put everything in place to keep his best friend safe, he made sure that he'd be able to save the day if he was up to it. It's a stupid thing, but even though I've forgotten about 90% of the stuff that happens in the game, that's the one thing that sticks with me.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

There's some kind of reality-warping monster in town, responsible for countless deaths. Only one man understands the truth, but no one believes him.

Did I just describe Agent Nightingale or R.L. Stein Alan Wake?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Survivor's Notes - a game where you leave notes about traps, supplies and useful info after The Event to guide an AI player through a lab, facility or whatever. Like the Soulsborne message system, except you probably don't want to be a dick all the time.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah, people seem to run into that roadblock in CV frequently about not having enough ammo. The trick is that you should be using the knife against zombies almost all the time up to that point, since the Code Veronica incarnation of the knife is one of the few times the knife isn't a useless waste of inventory space in a RE game because it hits multiple times per swing and is easy to stagger zombies with.

I had that problem back when I had it on the Dreamcast. I got CVX on the PS2 some years later, but remembering the Tyrant fight put me off playing it. To date, it's still the only (arguable) mainline title I've never finished.

Night10194 posted:

I guess Rev2 revealed Barry should've been made Main Cast sooner?

The bit where Moira talks about Barry and his 'granny swears' cracked me up. I can easily picture him as the kind of man who hasn't said anything stronger than 'fudge' in 12 years.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Just because it's not going to be an explicit horror game, doesn't mean it won't be creepy. Junji Ito's still involved, right? And the two trailers thus far have heavily suggested that it'll have some weird and unsettling content at the very least.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

"Not going anywhere for a while?"

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Having seen Prey in action now, I'm fully on-board with it. I especially love the way the enemies look, they manage to look wrong on both an overt and subconscious level. It reminds me of a surreal CGI short I saw on Youtube ages ago (that I can't find, sadly, but trust me when I say it was great).

Any word on whether the rumoured body horror elements are going to make it in with the upgrade system? There was word a while back that you would be able to mutate yourself with your upgrades a la the original proposed system for Bioshock.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Not so much 'pity ammo', but there's often weapons available in the boss arenas that are meant to be used in that fight. There's usually some supplies in the area anyway, you'll only find yourself low on ammo and the like between boss encounters.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Has Agony been confirmed as another run-and-hideathon? I saw some preview footage a month or two back and it was starting to look more like Bioshock, letting you possess demons and toss around firebombs.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Whoever wrote the notes for Outlast 2, I'm pretty sure they wrote them one-handed because holy poo poo.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

DeathChicken posted:

The Darkness was shockingly great in general. Did the sequel remotely live up to it? Never played

I enjoyed it more. The combat in the first game always felt a little anemic. It's a bit punchier in the second game. The art style looks a lot better too. Mike Patton's just as good in each game though, not that they could replace him after the first game.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I played Inner Chains. I picked up a lightning gun and gave a zombie a seizure. Then I found an upset head nailed to a wall, so I gave it a soothing pat.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Is there not a thread up for The Evil Within 2, or have I just managed to miss it? It's probably the game I'm most looking forward to this season, since I absolutely adored the first game.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

GlyphGryph posted:

I started playing Darkwood this week and some parts of it are good but I am not sure if I am feeling it to be honest, don't know how much longer I will be sticking with it. A lot of the mechanical bits, specifically the ones related to inventory management, are obscure in tedious ways, and the game never actually mentions that you have a journal and can access it so I am glad I spoiled myself looking poo poo up in regards to how see the drat invitation again to figure that out.

Anyway about to leave the first area and hope it picks up after this because so far its been disappointing. Hope my playing on finite lives mode doesnt screw me over but I havent died yet so we will see.

Atmosphere and world is great dont get me wrong, its just everything about the actual gameplay I am not enjoying.

As an aside, if anyone out there has played Darkwood and wants something similar, give The Sick Land a read. I don't know if it was an influence on Darkwood, but the idea of a remote area that warps and hates everyone within it runs deep.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

ChickenHeart posted:

My biggest gripe with Machine For Pigs that no-one ever talks about is the fact that when you finally reach 'The Aforementioned Machine That Gets The Meat And Juice Out Of People,' it turns out to be a huge letdown; instead of a hellish, labyrinthine network of conveyors and chutes sending hordes of screaming Londoners into blood-drenched processors and pig-monster-manned killing floors, you get...some torsos on meathooks traveling through a fire with some spooky industrial sounds in the background. For all the text logs and recordings hyping up this massive industrial-era sacrifice machine, and going there directly from the "oh poo poo pigs are wrecking up London" moment of the game, having the actual, titular "Machine" be nothing more than some rusty grating and oinking noises leading into a blood-river just killed all my excitement for the game.

Seriously, you look at the concept art and the initial trailer and you can't help but think 'holy poo poo, this is going to be brutal'. You're going to be wandering around inside a machine that's as much a living being, fuelled by horror and hate. Dante's Mechanized Inferno, a literal nightmare machine, vicious fleshy abominations that would make Clive Barker poo poo himself blind, sign me the gently caress up! I was lukewarm at best on the original game, but this, this is going places!

Then you play it, and the entire game may as well be a hallway filled with cabinets and pig noises that leads to a sign that says 'LOOK UPON MY PORK YE MIGHTY AND DESPAIR'. There's no payoff to the setup, but the setup goes on about three hours too long anyway. And the one point where I thought it may pick up, the one moment where I thought they may throw me a bone and give me something actually scary (the pig attack on London) basically happens off-screen. It's like reading a transcript of a director's commentary for a movie where they talk about how amazing this scene is, but since you can't see it, what's the point? I think TCR took the maxim that 'what you don't see is more terrifying' too far, but forgot to show you anything to even kickstart your imagination. They have an idea of what horror is, but it's not a very good one.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Black August posted:

Harvest Moon.

Your neighbors are the Colour Out Of Space.

I haven't played any games in the series since about the DS generation, what am I missing here?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

WombatCyborg posted:

The H.P. Lovecraft short story The Colour Out Of Space? And how it would be a good place to draw inspiration for farm based horror. Unless I'm misinterpreting what you are saying.

I meant more in case there was any Lovecraft references in Harvest Moon I'd missed.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Tired Moritz posted:

are the people who keep asking for a dark version of stardew valley like goths?

No, most of the goths are happy with Don't Starve because it looks like a Tim Burton movie.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Shadowlyger posted:

So you didn't think 4/20 mode was hard enough...

Are ya ready for 40/20 mode?!

At least the fan isn't there.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

For the first ten seconds or so, I thought it was going to be a game in the style of Lone Survivor. Now, it's my most anticipated game of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

B, b, but MUH LORE! Won't someone think of the Youtubers?!

Give the game its due, the first two parts were cool and had an excellent premise. I always felt there was something weirdly sinister about those old Fleischer cartoons so yeah, I'm on board immediately. Part 3, however, was atrocious It was busywork in and out of the game, since it added little to the plot and felt like padding on the dev's part. Which, given the chapter took, what, five, six months to release? Nah. And then after another 7 month wait, we get a chapter that felt more like a chunk of Bioshock 1&2, but boring.