Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klaoth
Oct 21, 2010

Sleep, Nyan Cat, Lie in peace.
Lest the doors open wide,
And nyan unleashed on all.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Seems like a lot of people have strong opinions on Shattered Memories and Homecoming, but I never really see anyone talking about Downpour. I honestly thought it was pretty good. I guess maybe the fact that it wasn't really scary at all is why it seems to have left such a non-impression on people? Admittedly that's a pretty big problem in a horror game, but it had a lot of other elements that worked really well - it was very exploration focused, the combat was difficult and awkward but in a way that actually worked rather than being annoying and clunky, and the story... well the story was okay at best. The fact that what has already happened prior to the game starting changes depending on what ending you get is kind of dumb.

I know a few people who strongly dislike Downpour and in generally comes down to the introductory segment and combat. It takes a fair while for the game to get to the open Silent Hill and it involved what was probably the least interesting area in the game. The game also isn't exactly big for hand-holding so people tend to take a long time to get anywhere early on and a ridiculous amount of people never found a radio in the game despite there being at least 3 you walk right by. As for the combat it tends to involve a certain enemy that just takes too many hits on Normal difficulty and it is really hard to know if you're even hurting it when it constantly does a block animation. On easy pretty much everything goes down like in SH2, power attack it in the face till it stops twitching, but for some reason people tend to be unwilling to drop difficulty to make it more fun (or just run away from enemies). From me personally the only other big annoyance of the game is figuring out some of the sidequests got a little too obtuse for me, which was disappointing considering quite a few of them have very interesting little segments that I had to come back to later with a guide. On the other hand I found it quite interesting what they decided to do in regards to the town as a psychological construct as opposed to SH2 and Homecoming.

For me personally I would say Downpour is a good game in its own right judged harshly by people overly fond of 2 and 3. It is not quite as good as them, but is happy to do its own thing and I can appreciate that. Then again I don't know why people are so against Homecoming either beyond it being a pretty close copy of the SH2 story, while trying to incorporate a little of the old god/cult stuff from the first game. Was it mostly just people really hating the repeat story along with combat requiring a bit more timing/finesse/effort?

Keep fighting the good fight Jimbo! I also find that Shattered Memories tried to pretend it was a lot deeper than it ended up being and there was very little relation between anything in the main game and their super twist ending. Also the psychological profiling stuff and coming up with a final profile at end stops making sense to me once you have context that it isn't you and you've just basically been picking random answers to a few questions on someone else's psych evaluation.

Klaoth fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU