Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I've zero sympathy for Bloober Team eating poo poo online when they release two games that literally says that mentally ill people are a lost cause and should die before they spread their trauma onto others.

Edit: in case people don't know

https://twitter.com/bobvids/status/1356295962524835840?t=7yLz1tvuH9cI3dwwSajELw&s=19

The Blair Witch game they did had a similar ending. gently caress Bloober Team.

Bloober Team games suck rear end but this dude has literally been crying about them for over a year now and has spent days recently putting out tweets multiple times a day about how much he hates them. Dude needs to get a grip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Silent Hill is about

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Are there any good PS3 horror games that aren't the obvious poo poo and yes that includes Siren

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The TEETH scene from the Berenice sequence of The Dark Eye owns

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Mr SeX

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Morpheus posted:

So I didn't realize a trailer for the System Shock remake came out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDAppJ8HuIM

As someone who loving loved SS2 (probably one of my fav games of all time tbh), but never played the original, I'm really interested in this. I hope it isn't just an FPS, and retains a bunch of the other elements that the original did.

Edit: 2022 the year of horror in space

OG SS was very much an FPS infested with hitscan enemies so if it's as blandly 1:1 as it's been looking thus far I'd set my expectations low.

SS1 was not much like modern immersive sims, you'd really have to look to Ultima Underworld for that. SS1 was non-linear and encouraged exploration but you spent a ton of time murking respawnig enemies.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Returnal, Tormentum, The Medium, some areas in Destiny 2 (mostly the moon), but tbh he was a very prolific painter and had a ton of different looking pieces of art but all the Beksinski inspired games virtually always just crib from his spindly looking architecture so it's another case of games being incredibly uncreative and turning something idiosyncratic into blandness. Tormentum and Returnal are the most directly inspired and I'd say Returnal does the best job of capturing the ambiance of his work and not just aesthetics.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

What are some period horror games like Vampyr, I've been playing Sherlock Holmes: Chapter One and I'm in the mood for that poo poo.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Oldstench posted:

Nightmare Creatures.

I've played that a ton of times already lol

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

That whole look peaked with the Hyperion boss fight in Returnal.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

One thing Returnal really did right with that look is that it didn't act like his paintings were all desaturated and dark and orangish. He had some really brilliant use of color in some of his pieces.

Too many games also rely on the "spindly structure with spindly creatures" thing and not enough on "impossible doorways and portals" or "big giant dude who is has a sunset horizon for a body under his cape."

I think inevitably any "weird" inspiration like him gets diluted when it ends up being cribbed.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

FirstAidKite posted:

Where're all the Magritte-inspired horror games?

Alien Isolation but the xenomorph is replaced by this

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

What are some horror games with good stories that aren't insanely obvious poo poo that everyone's already played? Something somewhat new with good graphics would be ideal.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

veni veni veni posted:

Soma

that might be too obvious though I dunno.

I've played Soma a lot lol.

What kicked this off was replaying Resident Evil 7 and just being stunned all over again at how much detail and effort is put into the environment. I guess what I'm really looking for is something along those lines.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

RE7 best RE game

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Is Devotion really that good? What's it play like? I haven't heard poo poo but the controversy

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Dead Rising rules so hard. Shame about the sequels after 2 lol

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Well he ain't my boy but the brother is heavy

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Yeah, the timer is really only scary if you're trying to do specific poo poo.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The SS1 remake is almost an exact recreation of the OG game's level design which is a pretty horrible idea considering SS1 had worse level design than UW by a good margin.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

What are some good horror point n clicks? I bought Stasis and I'm about to get into it but I've played very few adventures newer than the early 00s so I've missed out on a lot of good stuff it seems

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The Cat Lady has been a good vibe on recommendation from this thread

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Medullah posted:

Highly, highly, highly reccomend if you're going to play SH2 you play the Enhanced Edition fan project. It's insanely good with a ton of work put into it.

https://enhanced.townofsilenthill.com/SH2/

Really impressive project but I played this version and it's basically like removing a layer of grain and grime from the game that originally helped establish the game's atmosphere. It was really never meant to look that sharp or high resolution, despite how much they tried to maintain the aesthetic, I still think the best way to play this game is on a poo poo CRT with a PS2 copy. I also think the game's framing and camerawork was explicitly designed with 4:3 in mind, the composition of a lot of scenes suffered because of this while playing in wide-screen. These games relied a lot on manipulating the camera and showing you exactly what they wanted to be seen, and playing 16:9 undercuts that. Pretty sure you can just pillar box this enhanced version though.

Also I'm not sure if this version has surround sound, one of the most annoying things about SH2 is that the Xbox version had full 5.1 support which was absolutely incredible, but was a very rear end version in many other respects.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

It's going to be incredible. I will be playing Alan Wake 2 day one on the Epic Store. In fact, I will preorder it.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Also The Cat Lady was fire, I can't remember if it was recommended to me here or in the Adventure game thread but it was a good rec.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Sakurazuka posted:

I'll play it on my PS5

I call it the PS Quint, short for quintuple

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Professor Wayne posted:

I played a few hours of Demonologist this week. Pretty decent Phasmophobia type game. I like the addition of actual exorcisms and more creative scares than a cup flying across a room or a ghost awkwardly standing around for a bit. And unlike Phasmo, it has character customization. Cool in theory, but in practice this meant that half the people I saw in public lobbies were shirtless with leather pants or in some kind of weird swimsuit number. It gave the whole thing heavy Second Life vibes.

I also played Who's Lila last night. It had some really cool ideas. The face mechanic led to some hilarious and genuinely unnerving results. I feel like you get the gist of the story after a few of a the endings, and there's not really much of a mystery or reason to fully complete the game.

Never played the genre that Demonologist is part of but it's been a blast for a few hours thus far. Some clues are hard as gently caress to find though, we can't find the handprints worth a poo poo and the ectoplasm we've literally only found once lol.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

No music in a Remedy game will ever be as corny and stupid as that psycho song from American Nightmare, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CxpkBlNqtA

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The Chad Jihad posted:

People will scoff at the psycho song but then clap and hoot at the ashtray maze. It's the same picture !

The songs are really wack outside of their context ngl

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

weekly font posted:

“What if the powerhouse of the cell goes Chernobyl?” is an inspired question and I’m glad someone attempted to answer it even if that answer is a bit too anime for me.

If you read the book it's based on; it's way less anime and way more biology textbook.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

mutantIke posted:

Bad news. Alan Wake is in Fortnite.

I want to see Alan Wake hit the griddy and do orange justice.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The later SH games aren't scary because the audio design sucks. I mean, just think about it, it's near impossible to make completely lifelike graphics even now, but we've been able to make audio that sounds literally like the real thing ever since the advent of DVD storage let games utilize significantly less compressed audio. If you've got even semi-decent speakers or headphones the reproduction will be really lifelike. A game can't make you think a gross hunchback nurse is actually next to you, but it can very, very easily make it SOUND like she is.

The instant I got a surround sound setup my previous stance of "videogames don't scare me" went out the window lol, hearing every little creak of the house in RE7 had me making GBS threads my pants over basically nothing other than a tiny audio file. It's amazing how much good sound design can imbue what is obviously a videogame with a sense of reality. It's the bridge that connects the unreality of a game on a screen with our reality. I think it's far easier to make a game frightening with good audio design versus good visual design.

People used to get scared playing Doom because they heard monsters growling in another room, audio really is one of the biggest sellers when it comes to unnerving atmosphere. David Lynch is out there making lamps terrifying by putting crazy rear end audio over them.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Sakurazuka posted:

The western games having more combat wasn't really the problem, they just kept trying to 'fix' SH combat and somehow make it even worse than the first 3 games. Excluding 4 because that also managed to make combat worse than a PS1 title.

I think a big problem is also that tank controls sort of obliquely slow down the pacing of a game, if you make the combat fast and responsive, it sort of naturally does the opposite, and if something feels too fast pacing-wise, you're going to completely ruin any attempt at building up dread.

Not really the mechanics themselves, but rather the combat system not really selling what's supposed to be slower paced, psychological horror. You can 100% find a way to do that without making the combat a nightmare to control. RE7 did just fine by using a basic first person framework and just adjusting motion/weapon behavior. Very easy to immediately, intuitively learn to control the game, but the particulars of it add the necessary friction.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

WaltherFeng posted:

This is a hot take but SH combat would be greatly improved if melee was either removed completely or it was just expendable self defence items like in RE games. Trying to design meaningful melee combat around James the ordinary average man seems futile when you could just solve the issue with ammo and item management instead.

Yeah its easy asf to just beat most enemies in SH2 into the dirt with melee lol

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Well the first game too. Hammer

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I bought this bundle basically for Bone Totem, but I already own two of the games.

Here's the keys for anyone who wants to grab them:

Alan Wake - 0GN29-8IYC7-YNQR4
Pathologic 2 - RY65B-MJ2L3-Q8ZDH

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

ALAN WAKE 2!!!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

RE7 is the best RE

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

RE7 is imo the best because it's actually scary (none of the other RE games save REmake are actually scary to me), emotionally resonated with me (the Baker family is sad, and so is Jack's plea to you during the flashback), stunned me with its attention to environmental detail (the Baker house feels like the most fully realized location in the entire series), and just generally has a brilliant ambiance to it that the rest of the series just doesn't. The sound design is just absolutely top notch for the series as well, it's an incredible game to listen to.

4 may be a better game to play, same with the remake of 2, but they didn't leave a fraction of the impression 7 did, when it comes down to it, also the save theme is unforgettable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

World of Horror is really good