Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011

Rita Repulsa posted:

I think it's good HORROR but not so much a good GAME. I don't really feel like I'm making any real progress or performing actions in an informed manner and I don't feel like subjecting myself to that to fail a bunch more times.

Has anyone here played Knock Knock, the most recent game by Ice Pick Lodge, creators of Pathologic? My thoughts on it are pretty much this. It's in a 'nights' sort of format like 5NAF, and basically the goal is to keep the monsters out of your house until morning.

It feels really similar in its gameplay and concepts, in the way that mostly nothing is explained as far as actual direct gameplay mechanics and your goal is to just manipulate the game into not killing you somehow with no real idea of what does what until you manage to survive into the next night by the seat of your pants, mostly on accident.

I enjoyed the atmosphere and I like Ice Pick Lodge in concept but I just didn't ENJOY playing Knock Knock at all because I hate not actually knowing which of my actions are affecting the game.

Also, I find that these games generally become really easy if you have some sort of guide or cheat sheet as to what the 'hook' or actual gameplay mechanic is. Once you realize I believe in the case of Knock Knock, that you're meant to flick all the lights in the entire house on, and then keep them on by turning back on lights that go out the goal, everything becomes trivial. I imagine a lot of people start to fall out of love with 5NAF when people start to realize how the underlying mechanics work and everyone goes "Oooh, that's DUUMB. He teleports! How are you supposed to know about Golden Freddy? So wait, that laugh is an audio cue?" etc.

I dunno if it's necessarily bad design, per se, but it definitely is a certain type of game and some people are going to love them and some will hate them. I feel like "Survival Horror" is a good term except what it ACTUALLY means is something totally different from the genre I described.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU