Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

FreudianSlippers posted:

A game that's hyper realistic Unreal Engine 6 type poo poo except the monsters are low-poly sprites.

Modern day graphics for the house haunted by the guys from the Money For Nothing music video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

I'm waiting until all the mysteries are complete as to not burn myself out on it again

The dev was making another game for one of those Dread X compilations, The Thing In The Lake. Did anybody play that?

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

They're very much all that style, yeah. I've only seen John Wolfe play it and he seems to love them but they all seem pretty similar overall

For indie horror, I would highly recommend imscared, the one on Steam. Fairly short, but very effective

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

I really did not like the story in 7. Ethan sucks, Mia sucks, Zoe is good but leads to the worse ending. Lucas could have been good but then they kill him off. Evaline really sucks and the grandma twist was really bad too.

Jack was great though, the worst thing about the game was that they pushed him out the way so fast.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

My friend bought Phasmophobia yesterday, so I jumped on to see how it is. It turns out it's exactly as it was before, which is disappointing. It only feels like half a game still, but built like it has a lot more to it - why does it have a levelling system? I know it was just one guy but still.

But still it's a good base line for a future Ghostbusters game, hopefully.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

That's Evil Within, isnt it

I want a Home Alone horror game. Horrors are coming to get your family and the only way to stop them is cans and strings at head height

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

I wish every horror game had a Shaggy mod

Scoob, she looks just like my d-d-duh-dead w-wife! But, like, I shot her 7 years ago! Jinkies!

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

Oh gently caress Scoob, I gotta get outta here!

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

I've just started Painscreek Killings. Good lord I am lost, wandering around, juggling all these codes and trying to discover people's birthdays and it is great. Just got access to the burnt house since I put off going to the hotel and now SHE IS COMING FOR ME

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

Re8 had the same problem Re7 did for me. They have real good villains set up with a bit of a dynamic but then you just go around and kill them one by one without them having any further interactions. Such wasted potential.

Also Ethan is boring as hell and I cannot care about his Mia problems because picking Zoe was the correct choice but no, she's just disappeared now

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

'They look list monsters to you' isn't a twist though, that's just lovable Vincent having a goof with his friend

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

White Day had scares included based on the difficulty level which I think is a bad idea because it was already too difficult and I want to be maximum scared without being smacked around even harder

Scariness should have been a selectable difficulty like the Puzzle/Combat divide in Silent Hill

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

I just played through Dread Eye, the VR game from the DreadOut devs.

Its really short and a fun little horror experience, you just summon a bunch of ghosts and then get transported to the spirit realm for fun little asides, such as losing in Russian roulette which then takes you to a room where you have a shootout with a bunch of ghosts with a pair of six shooters which don't seem to be calibrated to Quest 2 controllers so whenever you move them they start spinning around reloading constantly.

It did get a bit weird with some imagery. The last section has a lady dressed like a slutty nurse halloween costume for reasons not entirely evident past horror/sex juxtaposition. Is that something from the Dreadout series?

In short, it was ok, I liked it enough, but not a real horror vr experience I wanted.d

Its getting into spooky season so I also made my partner play Imscared and Dead Of Night, I forgot how spooky Imscared is. Definitely one of my favourites.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

Ease yourself in by going from RE5 to 4, which has a bit more horror trappings. From there you could continue into RE with the 2 remake or 1 if you're feeling brave, or pivot to other survival action like Evil Within.

You should savour these scares while you can though and just jump into some real experiences, I'd recommend:

Longer games:
Project Zero/Fatal Frame
RE1 Remake
RE4
Silent Hill 1-3

Shorter games:
Discover my Body
Cleansuit
Anatomy
Faith 1&2
Imscared

Once you get used to them scary games lose a lot of the effect. I can only get my thrills by watching other people play them now, and finding good people to watch on YouTube is a pain.

I've been seeing rumours that the new SH game is due in October, Faith Chapter 3 and a new iteration of Imscared (swear I'll stop going on about it now) is also due out. Busy month!

Fingerless Gloves fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Sep 29, 2022

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

Silent Hill 2 Part 1 is a retelling of SH2 but James is aware of the story and is speedrunning so he can kill himself faster

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

The more I hear from these directors the less I am excited for the movie. Stop repeating yourselves! Less words!

E: Casting is still ongoing, there's still time for Chris Pratt as James

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

Regardless of the list, that final conclusion is awful.

'These games have scored low but remember they are smaller games without triple A budgets' sounds like they're saying they're worse because less money was spent on them. More likely nobody played so they lost 'duels' by default. Slay the Princess isn't even out yet, what did they expect.

Also if people haven't, check out Uncanny Valley. It has one of those organic ways of branching stories which makes it adaptable. Are you going to do your job and patrol the office? Spend your time breaking into the CEO desk? Chat with the weird lady? Options!

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

My biggest problem with dbd is that it focused on 'Chase until you die or Killer gets bored'. There should be more options to hide. Ways to throw run tracks ahead of you, let the killer charge past while you sneak away.

Run around a corner and pretend you're a set of armour, and then when you check to see if the killer has passed, oh no, they too are in a suit of armour next to you!

You should also be able to eat a big sandwich to run faster.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

Busters posted:

Is WHO IS LILA a single run-through game with one narrative?

It's a single narrative but multiple runs - each path reveals another part of the story. Each path is relatively short, I think the longest I've found was about 20-30 minutes, but some of them are very hard to find.

It's extremely David Lynch and is one of the most unique games I've played.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

Bloober has no capacity for unique creative thoughts. Even if they were given Silent Hills it would just be a mash of every other Silent Hill game at the same time, killing even more women

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

The opening to Silent Hill 1 (everything before the scene in the diner) is the perfect horror experience

E: everything after is good too but oooo that bit so good