Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dead Aim's plot was fantastic. :colbert:

Absolutely the stupidest possible thing, as is proper for RE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kokoro Wish posted:

4 had the best plot because I got chased by a giant robot statue of Spanish midget-Napoleon. Also terrible, terrible one liners and comebacks.

Leon did manage one legit comeback, though.

The time he didn't bother trying to banter and just knifed the midget.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

1stGear posted:

The Raccoon City Manager did not take his forced retirement well at all.

You joke but it was actually a big plot point that the police chief was a batshit insane murderer and rapist with a weird art fetish, and that was how Umbrella was blackmailing/rewarding him.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Raxivace posted:

I'd like to think this kind of nonsense is the actual reason that Raccoon City was nuked.

exploded mummy posted:

There are no bathrooms in the RPD.

Whole city was just filthy with brain diseases.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

God 1,2,3, and cv are so good. I need a series replay.

RE3 is the best 'old style' game in the series.

The thing is I really enjoyed RE4 and 5! RE4 is one of my all time favorite games ever.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

al-azad posted:

IIRC it's worse than that. You spend quite a bit of time navigating a series of nonsense to get fake lugers to replace the real ones because they're on a pressure pad that will lock the door or something. So when you do this Steve just takes the real lugers and breaks out of the room. A little bit later he runs out of ammo then demands your submachine guns in exchange for the empty lugers.

He got what he deserved. Don't upstage the hero, Capcom.

Steve existed solely to get Claire in poo poo and be an annoying little prick.

gently caress Steve. Claire's sidekick on her second Insane Corporate Prison Island was way better. (Rev2 was a good game)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Thundercracker posted:

I love that the intentional moral of Rev2 is that guns are great.

And also that Barry Burton is one of the smartest characters in Resident Evil, for being the only one to ever bring a full combat load to a mission.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

woodenchicken posted:

Revelations 2 is the last major RE i have yet to play and it makes me hype when people say it's a good'un.

Do you like RE4 while also liking older REs? Do you enjoy likeable characters stuck in an incredibly dumb situation? Do you like Dad Jokes? If so, RE Rev2 is going to be a good time for you.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

do either of the Revelations games have any revelations in them

I guess Rev2 revealed Barry should've been made Main Cast sooner?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

GlyphGryph posted:

I'm gonna be honest I thought SH3 was pretty mediocre when I played it and remember almost nothing from it beyond the plot being really bad and the new game plus stuff like allowing me to shoot sexy beams in the mall which was fun for a little while.

I agree, honestly. SH3 going right back to the cult stuff was such a disappointment after 2.

Also, I don't remember any situations in 3 where I ever felt I didn't have sufficient ammo or melee weapons. There was a fair bit of combat, sure, but I remember killing just about everything I came across.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

al-azad posted:

Dino Crisis 2 owns bones and I'm also the weirdo that really liked Parasite Eve 2 for going full blown anime. I still prefer the urban horror elements of the first one but the second ain't bad.

Both Parasite Eves were very good games.

I really liked how 2 gave Aya a really solid inner monologue. All the flavor text helps a lot with a game where you're shooting monsters by yourself for 90% of it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The old Alien versus Predator games were another that did horrific combat pretty well. Sure, you had a gun. It worked pretty great. Everything was dark, your motion sensor was full of false positives, and the enemy was really fast and really strong. So good luck spotting and shooting them first.

Combat works when it's trying to keep you in a state of constant wariness and heightened vigilance.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DeathChicken posted:

Also Rule of Rose is drat good in spite of its gameplay flaws and everyone should find some way to play it. One of the rare games too where I don't think watching a Let's Play or whatever would have the same effect, it's all about the immersion.

Rule of Rose is a tremendously upsetting game, and very beautiful. It is really worth experiencing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

FirstAidKite posted:

What if instead someone made a video game version of The Faculty

Though I guess ObsCure gets kinda close to that but its sequel is so bad it's not worth even thinking about where that series could go now unless they rebooted it

The first ObsCure was a legit good RE clone, though.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

They made a second one of sorts that was a tie in to Blair Witch, at least?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

hostess with the Moltres posted:

I'm playing the enhanced version of system shock that was put out for a buck fifty during the summer sale and I'm impressed at how clever it is for a DOOM-era shooter. Your main character isn't some badass, he's just some hacker dude who helped start this mess, and that's represented by how if you go guns blazing the cyborgs and mutants tear you up. You have to peek around corners and pick them off. The sound changing in regard to the situation you're in is cool too.

One of my favorite bits of System Shock 1 is how some dipshit suit grabbed a hacker who'd been arrested and said 'Hey I dunno what this Ethics.dat file on the AI does but it's stopping me from erasing my embezzling records, give me a hand erasing it or I'll have you shot.' It feels like how an insane AI would get created despite reasonable safeguards in a corporate dystopia.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Part of why it worked in Silent Hill was that you went back to a rundown but 'normal'-ish world that was just foggy and spooky in between the rusty chainlink blood soaked industrial hellscapes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

al-azad posted:

Play Parasite Eve.

This is just good advice in general.

Both of the PE games on PS1 are great.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The sequel is a different sort of game (more an RE game with way better combat and wizard powers) but still pretty goddamn cool since it does a lot with Aya's character and sweet flavor text.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also Parasite Eve is near and dear to me because both games have perfectly reasonable reasons why the protagonist is alone all game and most of the supporting cast is reasonable, competent, and helpful to the degree that they can help.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Note that the original Aya Brea was an enormous badass. Introverted and thoughtful, but her response to something insane setting Carnegie Hall on fire while attending an opera was to charge it and try to arrest it.

Also, weirdly, everyone in PE is like, a sane age. The main character is 25, having been in the NYPD for a couple years out of college and just made Detective, etc. The main plot is bonkers but a lot of the stuff surrounding it is surprisingly sane.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 12, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Jukebox Hero posted:

Parasite Eve will forever have a place in my heart for the scene where a bunch of mutated freaks with sword arms walk out of their sci fi bunker to kill Aya and her military support arrives just in time to show how scary the monsters are by getting killed murder the gently caress out of the sword wielding monsters by just shooting the holy hell out of them with M16s and grenade launchers, just like you would if your super bio weapons were slow and didn't have a ranged attack and weren't bulletproof

In general the people supporting Aya are intelligent and competent at their jobs, they just don't have super powers and some of the biggest threats are creatures humans just can't get close to without bursting into flames. And in those cases, people are pretty willing to accept that yes, the tiny Japanese American supercop is the only one who can handle this, we should give her an M249, and AS12, and point her towards the problem.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Oxxidation posted:

"Hello Ms. Brea. Oh, you need ammo? We have boxes of the stuff. Literal truckloads of it. No, you don't have to pay, that's ridiculous."

Or the time the cops are like 'Well, this is insane, but it looks like you could be right about the crazy monster lady and we need to take your word seriously since you're a competent detective, plus this could kill an awful lot of people if you're right.' rather than immediately doubting everything.

I love both PE games for being games with a ridiculous premise played completely straight, where most of the characters are taking the situation totally seriously and giving it their all in surprisingly believable ways.

Except Madigan, he's a doofus.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

One thing PE 2 did really well for an RE esque tank control game was give you solid ways to switch targets and a clear indication of who you're aiming at. Older REs could've really used that.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also it's really funny to imagine a police detective quietly building a shotgun into a repeating incendiary corrosive grenade cannon so she can fight a reanimated t-rex.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Second Sight had an amazingly excellent twist, though.

The right kind, where it's foreshadowed just enough that after it happens you wonder why you didn't catch it before it did.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Indigo Prophecy gently caress sucks in every way while Deadly Premonition is janky but utterly charming and enjpyable.

Deadly Premonition's plot is legitimately great and imaginative. Francis York Morgan is worth playing the entire game for.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Vakal posted:

It's a good game, but I'll always be a bit bummed that it doesn't live up to level of creepiness in its own trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwBXIBXPWQA

Room of Angel is still one of my favorite songs from the whole series.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I also like that Henry is completely uncomplicated. He's just a decent, cripplingly shy guy who wants to save his neighbor.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

el oso posted:

The SH2 soundtrack is truly incredible. It's a huge part of what makes SH2 a transcendental game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WShknpNpHbY

Room of Angel might be the best SH song and that first SH4 trailer with it is amazing.

I know a person who still reflexively cringes whenever she hears Betrayal.

That song left a mark.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah, it was pretty great. I liked that roughly two thirds of the characters you controlled either died or went mad.

I also liked how even when that happened, they usually accomplished something, first. It felt like you were slowly building knowledge and small victories so that if/when you actually won it felt like it had been really hard-fought and earned.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I really wish Inquisitor didn't have such grognardy bullshit combat mechanics and 'old-school' grinding because the portions of that RPG where you're just going around town trying to figure out who to trust and solving mysteries loving rule, and everything to do with the dungeons and combat sucks.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Lovecraft was afraid of regular penguins

I completely believe it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

1stGear posted:

Its why Bloodborne is the best Lovecraft game. It took influence from Lovecraft rather than just using the Mythos, so its monsters and Old Ones are actually strange and unknowable rather than the precisely categorized hierarchy that's been done to death for over a century. Why do you kill an invisible baby? Who knows, the Old Ones work in mysterious ways.

Needed an umbillical cord, duh.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Blockhouse posted:

It's either that or, to continue the Hellraiser comparison, sirens and wire mesh and quivering flesh is actually what they want.

Yeah, that was how I always took it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hell, the drugs were even important to the plot. They were how they were coercing Lisa into taking care of Alessa, and they were how the cult was funding itself.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's also Kaufmann's whole connection to things. He's their drug guy. He's a cultist, sure, but he doesn't believe in poo poo and was just trying to get rich/powerful and is pissed as all hell that he's stuck in a snowy hellscape full of monsters.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I just love how annoyed Kaufman is at all times. "NO-ONE FOOLS lovely DRUG DOCTOR, EVIL WIZARD!"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Its funny, even as a kid I went with In Water as my headcanon. It seemed the most poignant. But like you said, in 2 the town has a sort of neutrality to it, if you can face your trauma you get out. We don't see that in any other game really, it's more of a complete darkness kind of thing, but that's usually from a cult plot.

It's really, really interesting to compare Siren and Silent Hill and their respective dark cults that lead to bloody hells that they think are 'paradise', given they're by the same director.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DeathChicken posted:

There is still very little I love more in videogames than the enemies in FEAR going from smug jerks to *freaking the hell out* as they realize just what they've gotten into picking a fight with you and your bullet time spamming maniac

"HE'S TOO FAST!"

"I CAN'T SEE, WHERE IS HE!?"

It was helped along a lot by the fact that they're actually really dangerous and the AI is very effective, so when you take those fuckers apart you *really* feel like a badass.