Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Boy does the last area in Gorky 17 become a bastard of a place. You find crazy powerful energy weaponry, except most of the mutants are immune to it. And they're often immune to the taser or tranq gun. You have to rely on an LN2 sprayer to stun them temporarily, and if you set them on fire after using it they automatically unstun immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Re-finished Gorky 17. The last area is kind of a bastard of weird exposition and mandatory betrayal, all your stun equipment stops working, and the actual ending is kind of nonsense to set up a sequel that never happened.

But still, the game itself is really fun. Fighting weird cyber-horrors in turn based resource conservation combat is an approach you just don't see often in survival horror, and I like all the battles being scripted. You have X problems, you need to solve them using Y resources is a good formula for survival horror.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It would still be nonsense no matter what. Like, the sequel hook is 'by the way, none of what happened here mattered and my final speech is about something completely nonsense that had nothing to do with the plot we've built up'. It's real terrible.

Which is a shame because the atmosphere is pretty good and watching the polish guy try to psyche himself up as doomslayer, the canadian try to stay professional, and the french military scientist start to lose it completely was fun.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I tried World of Horror as the occultist girl and managed to steak knife, memory suppress, and regenerate my way to victory my first try playing the game. At 98% Doom. Would Arkham Junji Ito again, very fun.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Having both Extract Memories and Regeneration from like, case 1 was an absolute godsend. Sure, I missed out on gaining at least one level, but I also didn't die.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There's something totally hilarious about how pistol-whipping things without ever finding a bullet carried the Yakuza through his entire quest vs. the Ancient One.

I have gotten so many Japanese investigators killed, but I've won twice now!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's kinda hilarious that while Call of Cthulhu has all this 'guns are useless' stuff the guns in World of Horror are both extremely hard to get bullets for but once you do they're basically rocket launchers. I unlocked the hunter girl and introducing Aka Manto to both barrels of the boomstick and the blessed shell was cathartic.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You can't have a nun blow away Yig with holy water and a 12 gauge, because if the Ancient One awakes you lose, but you can absolutely (if you somehow get a gun and ammo, this is Japan so it's not easy) gun down vengeful demon samurai or coma demons or the early internet.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Honestly spells are the biggest thing I find kinda useless in battle, because getting killed by Reason loss is my single most common loss so something that trades 3 Reason for 6 damage to the enemy is usually not worth it. Other kinds of spells can be great, but magic in general doesn't feel that essential.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The real secret is to realize checks are basically d12 vs. skill, sometimes d12+1 if they're hard, and plan accordingly.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Haru is also very strong, you just have to keep up his extreme smoking habit. Put on Kiryu's jacket (it's one of his outfit options) and then proceed to beat the hell out of monsters.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Sounds like perhaps I ought to try Signalis, now.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hogama posted:

Like this game I would have failed if I had done a single visit to the Shop (would have been nice to have been able to buy a real weapon, though), had some real unluck with Doom generators early on and I had to visit the Hospital more than usual because of the background I was playing.

The feeling you get when you win at 99% Doom and realize if you had done literally anything differently all playthrough you'd have been screwed is quite appropriate to the genre.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I've been playing on Cultist mostly since the start; it gets easier as you get used to managing things and guessing when to push and when not to. I got lucky as hell my first run and won, died fifteen times straight, and now I win more often than I lose.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yashiro's 'I need 120 EXP to level' thing is bizarre. He'd be a really interesting variant character without it but it feels like it makes him notably weaker. I still like him though! Faith is a fun unique mechanic.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Disposable Scud posted:

Alone in the Dark: New Nightmare and Parasite Eve 2.

Galerians and Martain Gothic are my troll answers. I like both but lmao.

Galerians is a really fascinating utter mess. Both of them.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

They're right, the vast majority of AVP stuff is awful. AVP 1 and 2 and the arcade beat 'em up are good, but it's also no accident that the only good AVP stuff is videogames and the movies have consistently sucked.

And the stuff that's good in AVP2 has nothing to do with the Predator, who is just kind of there, and more to do with 'play the person showing up after the disaster, then go play the One Thing That Went Wrong and caused it all as the Alien', which is a fun way to do the multiple campaign thing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah it's a game where you get to the end of a level and it goes "cool, want to play it again?" just for you to ask "why".

It is the worst offender for dumb aliens though, while it's true that the movie aliens took a serious hit in the brain department between 1 and 2 that still doesn't excuse them running at soldiers like they are zerglings on attack move. Aliens: Dark Descent was a lot better about that just because the aliens were so much more lethal and hard to deal with.

One of the things I like in Fireteam is it going 'These things are such a problem because the corps don't let people in colonies have firearms or militia or whatever because then they'd use them on Burke.'

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also there's always an undercurrent of 'the cultists don't know much about what's going down either and are just hoping it all works how they want it to'. Like Heather mentioning it's not much of a God if a middle aged writer with a hunting rifle kicked its rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think it's pretty reasonable to look at someone's past body of work and conclude they aren't up to a difficult adaptation.