Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

If we're discussing RPG maker horror games, I highly recommend Ib. You can't really make a game scary with something like RPG maker, but Ib does the next best thing by making it sad and melancholic (and a tad disturbing at parts). Also has an excellent soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

al-azad posted:

The Souls games never got to me but I played King's Field (From Software's first game and the precursor to Souls)

Second game. The first was the JP only King's Field (US King's field is actually King's Field II) which is even shittier looking.

If you liked KF2 I high suggest checking out KF3 and even moreso KF4: The Ancient City and Shadow Tower Abyss (both of which are ps2 games). KF4 plays just as clunky but actually looks pretty good, and is just as atmospheric. Shadow Tower Abyss only has a fan translation so you'd need to emulate it, but it's even more atmospheric and has a much greater survival bent, since you have more limited supplied and your weapons can break (at least until you get to the point where you're mowing everything down with a grenade launcher).

IShallRiseAgain posted:

If they are selling it, its early enough to judge it.

To judge it as the extremely early alpha it is, yes. You can't judge it like it's a finished product tho.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah real horrific...

that's a texture mod for those who don't know

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

drat it, I wish Kings Field Ancient City was a PS2 classic. I own it on PS2 and lost the ability to play it once my BC PS3 broke.

If you have a remotely decent computer you can emulate it with PCSX2.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Can any of you name a horror game I remember seeing a trailer for? All I remember is it featured a guy (in first person view) running away from some sort of humanoid monster thing (kinda reminded me of the monsters from The Descent i think?) through a wooden structure of some sort, and it had him turn around and look at the creating chasing you in the distance which looked kinda silly (the turning around animation, since it was in first person and the guy continued running while doing it).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

BlueDestiny posted:

Sounds like Outlast, since that's the only horror game I know that lets you look behind you while running.

Yup, that was it. Thanks :)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ammo was never scarce, neither were ink ribbons if you were a bit frugal. I played the classic Re games for the first time a few years ago, and the only time there was ever any suspense for me was in 3 due to Nemesis, and even then not much.

I felt Re4 was a great step for the franchise to take, going from unintentionally hilarious to intentionally hilarious a la cheesy action horror movies, but then they kinda dropped the ball from that point on, making them waaaay too serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

I honestly don't know how you can describe anything that goes on at the end of RE5 as being too serious. I don't particularly care for that game either, but that's not a complaint I would levy against it.

Oh no, the end of Re5 is fantastic. But a lot of stuff before that is nowhere near the level of charming goofiness that Re4 has.