Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I started reading Umineko to get ready for Silent Hill f.

As a nonbiased observer I applaud this action

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Another silent hill question. Was there any non story point to using the VCR in the hospital? I didn't really understand what it was trying to tell me in that scene

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

First games pretty cool

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dahlia seems like a bad mom

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Took down the first of the Silent Hills. Pretty cool game as a whole. It's use of dynamism in the camera angles really set it apart from a lot of the other fixed camera angle games of back in those days, even if those also have their charm. The spiral staircase, the first alley, and the part in Nowhere where the camera is absolutely claustrophobic with how close it is to Harry. I've really come to appreciate media that has strong direction instead of the blandness that's so common in the medium. Gameplay wise the game is alright, most of the puzzles were pretty fun even if some were a bit simple. Zodiac puzzle took me awhile, I kept thinking it was some weird substitution cypher or something. Then I had to look up the drat puzzle with the paintings holding the patterns because I straight up forgot that Camera's have flash. I was sitting there looking for a light switch and trying to use the flash light. As a whole though they all seemed reasonable. The fighting is pretty bad. Either it's zero challenge with one dude or a nightmare with more than one. Melee feels bad even if it's pretty effective once you get the pipe and hammer. Gunplay just feels jank. Bosses are awful, The Moth and Final boss I couldn't even see them on the screen. Cybil was an interesting fight even if the audio cue didn't give you quite enough time to run before she gunned you. I listened to a WOFF a long time ago and knew you needed the red liquid, but not how to get it or where. Luckily I found the bottle and put the pieces together with the liquid in Kaufmann's office, but I would've never thought to USE it on her if not for pod. I'm guessing the intention was you'd play the game, see Kaufmann using it on Alessa and then connect the dots to save Cybil. Thematically the game is oozing with weirdness and tension, but a lot of it feels disjointed and not in a dream logic way. I watched a Polish movie recently called The Hourglass Sanitarium that really nailed it, in dream logic you kind of always just go with the flow right. It's like a film with pure nonsense but it's all done in one take so it has an implied cohesiveness. This game has a lot of Cuts between the scenes that make parts of it feel non cohesive.Waking up at the hospital over and over etc. As a whole though, i'd recommend it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

System shock 2 has the best sound design in gaming. It should be high

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not gonna have to drag Maria with me the whole rest the game am I.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I thought Silent Hill was in the Pacific Northwest, why would there be a civil war era prison.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I wish I had the passion for jumping in holes that James does.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Emulated on PCSX2 gotta get them cheevos

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I figured that's what was going on. People who like Silent Hill 2 will probably also like Je t'aime, je t'aime https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Je_t%27aime,_je_t%27aime

The song that plays when James is watching the tape and finding out the truth is also excellent, and I don't usually like Video Game music

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

And that's the second Silent Hill done. Just gonna put the whole of my thoughts in Spoilers instead of trying to sort 'em out, I assume most people in this thread have already played it.

I actually started out disliking the game a lot compared to the first, the controls took me a while to get used to and the hit response on enemies seemed far worse. The first dungeon as well was awful for me, I got so drat turned around and no joke the Three Coins puzzle was probably the one that had me at it the longest. Speaking of that I like the idea of riddles and action being separate, but I think at least on Normal/Normal it led to the balance being really odd. As I said the Coin puzzle took me a minute, but as I went through the game the puzzles became less and less challenging. The puzzle box, noose, and briefcase puzzle were trivial. And that head cube, I don't even know what I did to solve it, I just moved it around, walked through a door and watched the cheevo pop. Likewise the action quickly became tediously easy once I got over having to use melee weapons to save ammo, that is once I looked at my inventory and realized that I had hundreds of Shotgun and Pistol ammo and was still taking hits trying to use the iron bar. I had truck fulls of kits and drinks, and I never even popped an ampoule. The action didn't feel bad, barring the bosses, but It quickly became me opening a door, listening for the radio and then waiting to auto target something pop it and stomp it. Without the resource management of RE or any real enemy varitey, every monster is functionally the same with differing levels of speed, it feels more like a chore than a rewarding part of gameplay. Which is unfortunate because I do think It would be cool to play with the Hard riddles, but I don't want to go through the same gameplay loop of popping two zombies, checking six doors in a hallway, three of which open, and 1 of which that has anything more than a health kit or ammo. I wouldn't say I suffered through the gameplay but that is because the aesthetic and story are so interesting, at least after you meet Maria, but doing 80% the same thing so I can see one new ending and do five puzzles seems like a not great proposition to me.

But back to the aesthetic, that's one area I felt that 1 really missed on for me. It started alright but it felt a little generic creepy at times, y'know. Like blood on the ceilings, all dark, weird scraping noises. 2 does a lot to ameliorate that with how obvious it becomes that Jame's psyche is distorting the world. The weird hallways and holes he keeps flinging himself down to avoid confronting the truth, the weird pulsating holes in Angela's room, the Angel embedded in the door that supposed to forgive his sins, his own psyche stealing the nature of Silent Hills prison and Old Prison Camp and fusing it with his own feelings of being trapped in his guilt while casting himself as an executioner. All exquisite, it's a game that you can talk about on a higher level than the base plot. I can't tell you what Harry pouring acid over a hand clutching a key is, but I can talk about what it means that James continually finds himself imprisoned, as executioner, or executee. The game is suffused with metaphor that begs for interpretation even if I believe some of the character work is a bit weak. Specifically with Eddie, early on I'd had a theory that all the Male characters were outgrowths of James' own view of himself, so Pyramid Head is an awful monster that exists to murder the woman he loves and Eddie is his inherent sloth and unwillingness to do anything actionable and the self loathing that resulted, and that the Female characters were his different interpretations of Mary. Angela was the one in the depths of despair and is used to show Jame's self righteousness that he can tell her not to die when he's not suffered at all, but then when she's an inconvenience to him he murders her. Laura is her childish side that he could never get a grasp on and despite wanting to protect, also felt disgust towards. And Maria was his quote unquote ideal partner, not sick or dead, but supportive and flirtatious and yet the sickness of Mary still came out in her sickness and temperamental behavior when she's left alone.

Of course that Falls apart when you realize that James Angela and Eddie are all real people, and it works fine with Angela. You can feel her suffering unravel and hope that she manages to come out it the other side just like James did, in my ending at least. Eddie however felt more like a Dead Rising Psychopath than a real human. Partially his mannerism and his voice acting, but when you put a rape survivor and man who murdered his wife into the game, you'd think the third side of that triangle would be more interesting than a man sad he's fat, that strikes back with a gat. Like dude, just call yourself a powerlifter, jesus.

I was legit confused about Laura though, she must be a shade of some type if she met Mary last year. But unless I missed something it seems like she just disappears from the narrative after James watches the Tape.

Looking at the other endings, I do think there's an pretty interesting ethical dilemma that could really lead to some interesting discussion. I got the "Leave" ending where he fully embraces his grief, role in the death of Mary, and allows himself to move past it. But looking at the Maria ending, is it really so wrong for him to move on with another woman after three years? Obviously it's hosed up with her being a ghost who represents an idealized form of Mary, but from her perspective she's been nothing but supportive and encouraging towards James, only to get pumped full of lead because he can't get over a woman long dead. She's a real tragic character, born for one purpose that cannot ever be fulfilled if you believe that she would also come down with the same cancer that Mary did. And the Rebirth ending is just bewildering to me, you need to have already beat the game, collect a bunch of things and then your reward is James going so insane that he believes he can harness the delusional nature of Silent Hill to live with Mary again?

I can see why this game appeals to so many people and on such a deep level, certainly it's got it's share of problems. But almost every large game that does a deep dive on a person's psychology does e.g. Persona 1, Umineko EP7. But given how few games even attempt to do anything more than have boring stock characters say boring things at each other 2 really stands out as an exemplar of a game that tries and mostly succeeds at being intellectually and psychologically stimulating. That said, I don't think I'll ever play it again, or at least not for a long while. And it doesn't really feel much like the first game at all. The first game dealt with Alessa's mind state, but it was pretty clear that there was actual magic going on in the town. This game it seems takes place almost entirely inside Jame's head. It's as if the whole nature of Silent Hill has changed already.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

AngryRobotsInc posted:

On your timeline issue with one character.

Mary died a looooot less long ago than James thinks in the beginning of the game. Like, a lot less. A couple days before the game.

So when He's talking of Killing her he mean's purely metaphorically. I thought that what had happened is that he murdered her when she came back home for her last visit that she says she was going to get. Then James spent the last three years getting wasted and feeling sad before he got the letter, which I assumed was actually the one that Laura was talking about but his grief instead drove him to Silent Hill and the last place her and he were happy under the delusion that she might still be alive.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Iirc the three worlds concept is word of god, there being normal world, "misty" inbetween world and Ye RustBlode Towne.

I like SH3 more than 2, but the reality is significant portions of all three games were so impressive/good/impactful as a function of luck and aesthetic novelty.

Should not there be 5 worlds than? If it's Normal, Misty, and then one nightmare for each prisoner

Argue posted:

I had been under the impression that the Silent Hill of this game was a functioning town, and that only "chosen" people were in ghost town/hell mode--so Laura was presumably there with adults doing her own stuff and occasionally slipping into James' dimension. Like how SH 3 starts with Heather in a perfectly normal mall with customers before it goes Silent Hill on her.

Yeah this and what Robot are saying track, I think I just got so hungup on her being a Shade that I didn't take her words seriously.

Also starting 3, this game is absolutely gorgeous. Better than most PS3 games, you can really tell the time that went into the lighting and model work. I think I've already seen more unique modeling just in the mall than in all of 2. I'm on the fence about the action so far, it seems to be going in a RE3 direction emphasizing the action with being able to move while aiming and having already a large amount of differing enemy types.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 5, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

You have to reach out to the truth instead of accepting life in the fog. Huh, that wannabe pithy P4 reference is actually very fitting here, isn't it.

There are so many stories where the big moral is "Pursue Truth No Matter What" even when everybody, including our heroes, would be happier without it. The Truth is said to heal in our fiction, which is probably the biggest fiction of them all.

Nonsense, James is obviously happier knowing the truth than he is living how he was before his soujourn into the silent hills.

TGLT posted:

I think the point of the Maria ending is that James doesn't move on. (edit: Like he's basically just pointing at a woman and saying "you're Mary now," and trying to relive that relationship through Maria)
Quite, but think of it from Maria's view. She is not some woman who looks like Mary, she is Mary made remanifest. She's someone with actual emotions and behaviours whose only goal in life was to be a partner to James, but can only truly make him happy by letting herself be sacrificed to the memory of mary. A truly pitiable creature

TGLT posted:

Silent Hill is a cruel place that hates people. It's not trying to punish people for their sins, it just wants to hurt people and seeks out the most vulnerable people to hurt. Making life just so that it can suffer is well within its wheelhouse - that's basically Lisa in SH1.

This is clearly not true in either one or two. One it was a reflection of the inner pain and turmoil of Alessa brought into the "real" world. It does not torture Lisa because it wants to hurt her, but because of what she did to Alessa by helping to keep her alive. Her own guilt keeps her tied to the hospital just like the classical ghost.

For 2 it's clear that Silent Hill is almost a Shutter Island style extreme therapy session. Of the three who were drawn to it, each is allowed to find their own solace in confronting their demons. Eddie runs from his and jumps down Jame's hole, because his unwillingness to reckon with what he has done he is eventually killed.

The town doesn't torture people or drat them. It always offers you a path even if it's occluded, consider no matter how far James falls into the holes he always manages to find a way forward, or more obviously the well where he must physically chip away at the stone just as he has to mentally chip away at the guilt that's keeping him trapped.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Castor Poe posted:

I'm about to play Silent Hill 2 for the first time. Anything I should know before I start?

Run from everything outside. If you're alert enough to see the ammo containers on the ground you'll have enough to kill everything in the dungeons. I had hundreds of pistol rounds and hundreds of shotgun shells at the end of Normal/Normal.

Write all the puzzles in a notebook, navigating to the memos section is a pain in the rear end

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lmao i guess the trains are still running

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I can only assume that whomever decided to allow Heather to fall down holes in the third Silent Hill did so with the intent to mock me personally. I've already died more times in 3 than I have in the previous adventures combined. Psychologically speaking I must be under the impression that jumping down holes will lead to eventual personal growth in Heather, but in fact it leads only to "Game Over".

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm finding it hard to take SH3 as a horror game when the enemy design is such a step back and I have a katana

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's called Pyramid Thing

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Vermain posted:

i think part of the reason people remember SH2 so much as the silent hill game is because it managed to hit the nail on the head of deeply personal, introspective horror with its singular focus on james and his guilt, which was then reflected strongly in the aesthetics and mood of the setting: everything is this quiet, brooding nightmare that really hammers home the idea of james being trapped in some kind of obtuse hell of his own making, and all of the monsters are the twisted mirror reflections of his anxieties and fears. it's a perfect self-consistent package with nothing extraneous that all ties together into a neat little bow

SH1 and SH3 aren't terrible games or anything, but they are definitely on the resident evil side of the survival horror fence, where there's this extensive metaplot about shadowy supernatural forces that the game's visual design and overall vibe must contort to meet. i think SH3 is maybe better about this than SH1 in parts, but that comes more from it aping the wildly successful design of SH2 than with any particularly unique flourishes, and the far more bildungsroman-esque plot of heather's growth as a young woman doesn't add to the tension in the same way that james' personal journey of self-resolution does. SH2 really was bottled lightning that the devs could never quite get the cork back on

Honestly I didn't find 1 to be bad. The vibe was different from 2, but the way it tangled the esoteric and the mundane worked well. Not just in terms of the real world and the nightmare world, but as a whole for the game. Dahlia runs a cult that controls the town, but they make money by selling drugs. The Head doctor helps to keep the cults demon child under his control, but does it by exploiting a woman's dependence on drugs.
Even down to Alessa splitting her soul with one side kept in the esoteric part of reality and one growing up normally. Harry ends up running through the various areas of Alessa/Cheryl's young life from Elementary school, the hospital, church, and an amusement park. And sees how her other forms torture and outlook have warped them from the purer soul previously under his charge. To the point that the final dungeon is all the areas enmeshed together.

Silent Hill seems to be attempting another such thing like that, but it feels reduced. Partially because there really was no impetus to set off. You have a dream and then the mall turns spooky without you having a goal besides going home. Silent hill 1 meanwhile immediately had you setting out to find Shaun Cheryl. Add to that that there really hasn't been a single normal area, person or event in 3 yet besides the detective and you get a game that feels aimless

Back to 3 and I'm way more onboard now after the apartment cutscenes. Finally we have a real narrative direction. Its bizarre that we explore the 2 hospital instead of Alchemia tho

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 11, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The mole men from 3 have taken the most annoying enemy trophy from the jumping bondage dogs in 1. There's always a million of them and they constantly know me down trying to run past.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

al-azad posted:

SH3 also had rooms that were literal monster closets with no key items in them, something idk if I liked while playing the game but I appreciate in hindsight as contributing to its violent atmosphere compared to SH2 where James is the deadliest monster.

Fighting three nurses one with a revolver and realizing there was nothing in the room really ground my gears.

For the mole men, at least the other little guys don't also make that horrible slurping noise. Its not even scary, just hideously annoying.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Silent Hill 3
Man, I cannot say how much of a dissapointment the whole game ended up being in spite of the graphics and how cool some of the effects were, shout out to the weird room with the blood mirror invading the other side.

The game feels totally aimless for the first half, then you actually kick it into high gear with Harry's death and returning to silent hill. But the structure is such that it's deliberately trying to make you reminscen over areas in one and relate that to how Claudia feels about the ritual never being completed. But by reusing so many of the assets as 2 it doesn't hit the right tone for most of it. Alessa sat in a hospital for seven years covered in burns and then you go to a different hospital, it's nutso. Going back to the themepark was a nice touch, especially finding the Memopads that Harry had used in the first game, but like most of the other areas of the game the puzzles were just fetch quests, using the chain on the carousel to rip open the gate was cool at least, and at least somewhat logical instead of weird poo poo like the hairdryer sitting in the middle of a construction site.
But then you get "Puzzles" like the snow white/ Cinderella one where they just give you the answers and the items are right outside the door. Why even waste my time with that. The Normal puzzle level in general felt like a step down from Normal in 2 as well. Nothing gave me any real trouble right up until the final actual puzzle where it just gives you the placement of all the tarots barely disguised. You'd think they'd at least do a little obstufication or leave one out.
There's also just way too many enemies, and worse than that they're all really annoying. In manner and in speech. The Molemen constantly bite your ankles, the Big guys block your path, the slashers in the last dungeon are super fast and track your movement on attacks, and the roller demons are hard to even tell where they are spatially with the camera angles. Then you get the problem that all of them make the most godawful noises, not scary noises but incredibly annoying scratching and snuffling that makes me turn my volume down so my neighbors don't have to listen to that poo poo. It got to the point that I was just popping open my map soon as I hit the door, checking all the new doors, and then bee-lining for them in hopes of getting to the next progression point. Vinny went off on his little rant implying the Monsters are people, and I just lol'd I hadn't killed a single enemy since the Hospital at least.

The story as well is rough, Claudia feels like a dime store Dahlia for most the run, and by the time they start actually setting her up as something different it's almost over. Vincent is interesting conceptually as a sort of corrupt clergy using the congregation as a cult of coin. But his voice acting and direction are straight garbage, and he really doesn't fit in for most the story. Why the hell was he in Heather's town in the start, why didn't Claudia just rid herself of him sooner if he was her only threat. Sure she doesn't like killing, but she did away with Harry, and got Leonard locked up somehow. The Detective is fine, I even like that he realizes he's a fuckup and still just tries to help earnestly, after 2 especially with so many people all wrapped up in their own trauma it's nice to see a dude just realize he hosed up and try and ameliorate the situation.

I liked the Cult stuff in 1 about as much as the psychological stuff in 2, but the way it was done here just doesn't feel all that interesting, not the least because you don't even spend half the game in their territory. The use the money for personal enrichment or use it to summon a demon god has all the intensity and interest as your local meeting of the chamber of commerce. Claudia bringing the nightmare world to Heather's town raises severe questions about the metaphysics of Silent Hill (series) and Silent Hill (town) that I don't think Silent Hill ( game) is prepared to answer. Heather slowly becoming more aware and attune to her old Alessa form was interesting, but happened so quickly that I got taken out of it for a second when she started talking to Claudia like she knew her, also Claudia the secret almost sister to Alessa is such a weird retcon. Making her the architect of all of Heather's misery as well, bad writing in Bond and in here.

As a whole the game just feels ungainly, the graphics and gameplay feel best in the opening acts, but during those the story is barely existent. Then the gameplay becomes a tedious mess when the story starts showing signs of life, but the whole thing speeds up so much that there's no time for things to breathe and the whole thing becomes unsatisfying. It's still a good game, but it hardly lives up to it's predecessors. The only unqualified plus I'll give it is Heather, I love her moxie and how nonplussed she is. It's a shame the game didn't serve her as well as 2 did to James.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

al-azad posted:

I’m sure someone has written a deeper dive into how SH3 is about the commodification of women’s bodies and in the same way James the ultimate toxic man’s Silent Hill is a world of weak, whimpering monsters Heather has to deal with aggressive ankle biters and creeps over the phone and just accepts it all with aplomb because this is life for a young adult woman in idk where the game is set let’s say Ohio which is truly hell on earth.

That's the intended read I believe, there's a ton of yonic imagery all over the place right up to the hole you jump in to fight the final boss. There's the forced pregnancy. And the complete impotence of all the male characters, including the Detective who comes off as a creeper at first even if he's well meaning and then in his second to last conversation with him Heather points out that old men are useless. Vincent is only interested in exploiting the cult for status and money. And Claudia keeps books on human trafficking in her dorm because she want's to make a difference. But her hosed up childhood growing up under Leonard means she feels that she feels that suffering is a necessary component to get there rather than an unfortunate side effect that you deal with.

al-azad posted:

It is a weaker overall game by design, I’m surprised you didn’t bring up the instant deaths.

Are they exclusive to hard or something? I died a bunch of times getting used to the faster enemies and falling in pits early on, and then after the Office building I don't think I died once.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah the Silent Hill town concept was interesting in the earlier games. The monsters for James fed on his fear of being a big old sad boy pervert, while Cheryl's are her fear of being sexually assaulted and unwanted pregnancy. It's an interesting choice they made because the same was true in the first game, but it was *Alessa's* fears driving the monster design, not Harry, who was just a stand up dad who really wants his daughter back. It took it from "girl controls evil town" to "town tests those who enter it Jigsaw style". It just doesn't really work as well in 3 because Cheryl didn't even do anything wrong, it's all this cult poo poo that was forced onto her, much like the pregnancy.

Given how the mechanics of the town work in other circumstances it makes you wonder if the God they are trying to birth and the town are really in synch with one another. The Town seems to be doing everything it can to drive her away and kill her, which is the absolute opposite of the God's goal. Yes, it's to bring her pain to birth the Pain God, but killing Harry could have been enough. Maybe the Ancient Indian Burial Ground town is antagonistic with the cult in the same way that it was in (I know, I know) the movie.

There's a book in the library that mentions the town's God being named after a demon. I think on the lowest level we can at least say that they're tampering with powers way out of their control. The God might not be hostile to them, or humanity, but their continual loving with it is causing it to go haywire every time that they get down to doing rituals. If we take 2 as the God in it's purest form, perhaps it as an entity exists mostly to let one tap into their own subconcious, and it's the Cult's obsession with suffering that's causing it to manifest that out into the world.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jesus the first person controls in Silent Hill 4 are absolute rear end

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No game, not Pathologic, not System Shock, not even it's preceding games has managed to generate the sheer horror and dread that Silent Hill 4: The Room has. Whenever I finish a realm and see the cheevo pop up that says "complete your first trip to X realm" I feel a scream let loose in the back of my skull at the implied "second".

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Anywhere is a bathroom with enough courage

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

loving what, game devs need to get their poo poo sorted before ballooning budgets crater the industry

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Glad that now the Game stores can also be clogged with boring by the numbers horror chaff just like my local theatre.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

Its been a bit since I replayed RE4 but I'm 95% sure it doesn't if you just stand around because I remember specifically avoiding picking up the shotgun til after the bell so that a chainsaw wouldn't spawn.

He spawns down at the end of one of the paths out of the village after a minute or something

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Just what Kojima would say.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wanderer posted:

My review on the SS remake's going up at some point in the next day or so.

It's pretty good, and very tense, although Nightdive self-consciously kept in a lot of '90s PC-gaming stuff like non-standardized controls, or how the critical path still involves a lot of backtracking and unlabeled points. I was half-expecting the final version of the game to have Rebecca Lansing constantly in your ear like Atlas in BioShock, just in case you were at all confused about what to do, but instead she's barely in it.

I don't think "remake's" even the right word for this, though. The comparison I wanted to make was to particularly thorough Shakespeare modernizations, like Baz Luhrman's Romeo & Juliet or 10 Things I Hate About You. It's the same story with a few adjustments.

And a more divergent adaption would be like Clueless? Good to see they kept the soul as intact as they did, seemingly.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I still can't believe a mere two years after he was the legendary voice of Ghostface in Scream, one of the biggest Horror movies of all time, Roger Jackson was the voice of Bates in the no budget, no good Clock Tower 2. What happened?

I don't think VA work for a horror franchise is quite the prestige project you think it is

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Too bad there's a lot of people out there that don't have an original copy and also don't have any way to legally play the original

Only dorks care about legality

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dead Rising and 2 getting good ports to PC would be cool. If there's any franchise Capcom could salvage it's that one, they just need to make better decisions next time

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's insane homie

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Is the princess evil

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That part was so cool to see after a lifetime of RE static camera. I'm not sure which series I like more, but the highs of Silent Hill are definitely higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Pretty much every writer on the planet inwardly cringes at their earlier work no matter how popular it is. I think you'd probably get looked at weirdly if you were like "Aw yeah my first book is awesome, haha."

Kind of depends on how much you write. Gene Wolfe disowned his first novel, but then you get Harper Lee never publishing again until an old woman because she didn't think she could live up to To Kill a Mockingbird.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

King's mused on more than one occasion how people always tell him that The Stand is his best book*, and how it occurs to him that telling him in the 2000s/2010s/2020s that the best work he's done over his entire career was something that was published in 1978 is both a sort of backhanded compliment, and a not-so-subtle critique of his later works.
(*It's not his best work, though. That's 'salem's Lot. :drac:)
He should be honored by backhanded compliments given how poo poo his writing is