Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

RE4 moved into more goofy style of B-movie horror, it's more like Evil Dead 2 only slightly less obviously a comedy.
Dead Space took the gameplay and turned it back into more serious direction, then 2 went into full on action movie, then 3 into poo poo.

I'm actually perfectly fine with Dead Space 3 pushing into straight-up action, because there wasn't a lot left to be scared of. Isaac knows how Necromorphs work and how to stop them as much as the player does, so it just becomes contrived forcing him into another rapidly-infecting ship and expecting Isaac to be afraid of it all for a third time. Stomping in prepared with weapons he's crafted to murder the poo poo out of Necromorphs makes a whole lot more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I would argue a third repeat of that ordeal would have exacerbated the PTSD and made the experience even more terrifying for him. A maintenance dude doesnt work in a space marine game.

I wouldn't say space marine, so much as "gently caress this noise, gently caress those guys, gently caress the necromorphs, I'm gonna build something that'll gently caress them all right up if I have to deal with this goddamn poo poo a third time. :rolleyes:"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blockhouse posted:

I'm pretty sure Dr. Salvador isn't even a real doctor

He's a tree surgeon! :eng101:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

scuba school sucks posted:

Oh man, they got the actual real life Terri Brosius back for the voice? I'm there day 1.

Night Dive are also remaking the original System Shock as well. There is a demo on GoG.com and, I think, Steam.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Glagha posted:

I just finished Little Nightmares. The end of that game is weird and confusing to me. Consistently creepy the whole way through though so that's nice.

You ate The Lady and took her psychic powers. Then it was time for revenge...:unsmigghh:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

1stGear posted:

I don't think there's a lot of allegory or metaphor to be found in Little Nightmares. Pretty sure Tarsier just went with whatever they thought would be spooky and visually distinctive, and they did a pretty good job with that.

For the same reasons, don't think too hard about the ending.

Or just wait for the comic book series out on May 3rd :v:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Torquemadras posted:

I didn't really care about the specifics of the story - Little Nightmares had that whole dreamlike quality to its events anyhow. Pictures and mood informed the story, no specific story beats or anything. There's a LOT intentionally left open, after all.

That said, I think it's an absolute masterpiece in atmospheric storytelling, it looks incredible, and the actual game is, uuuuuh... servicable, I guess. Pity it's so short. I would've loved two or three more chapters with their own antagonists.
I totally expected long-arms dude to come back later on, armless and howling with rage and all :(

I expected that too. He really brought it on himself though, considering he felt that one of the box's struts had been pulled off.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

smuh posted:

Good to see Little Nightmares getting positive feedback, it led me into ordering a special edition with a neat little figure included. Also a horrific poster surely to be hung on top of my bed, so that I can stare at it every night and fall into peaceful slumber

I have the Six Edition and can confirm it's very nice. You also get the complete soundtrack on CD, a teaser comic book, and a sticker sheet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Carebearz posted:

Dang, for a former penal colony full of criminals and rapists, australia sure doesn't like Rape

They shouldn't have said 'Rape' twice.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

al-azad posted:

The final moments of Inside were great. There's little narrative structure to the game but as vignettes of individual moments it's perfect. And if Little Nightmares keeps upping the ante then I'm sure I'll enjoy it as well.

It does indeed, the last area is fantastic.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

discworld is all I read posted:

For those of you who don't own Alan Wake yet, it looks like it's being taken off of Steam soon and over the weekend it's going to be 90% off. So make sure to snatch it up if you get the chance (though it'll still be on GOG).

Is there any particular reason given as to why they're being removed?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FreudianSlippers posted:

I got Alan Wake but my ancient and weak graphics card doesn't work well with it. I can play but just barely. I ripped out and replaced everything else a couple of years ago but I think I should do the same with it because the game looks like it's extremely my poo poo.

You really want good graphics settings for Alan Wake, because lighting is a major part of the gameplay and story.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Yeah, I'm curious myself what the technicals of the license Nintendo has. If it's full IP, then yeah we arent ever seeing Fatal Frame have a shot :(

Kinda lovely them and Silent Hill had to suffer the fates they did.

It's probably more that Nintendo was the only company that'd fund a new Fatal Frame, like with Bayonetta 2. You have to remember that mainstream PC Gaming is still a very new thing in Japan.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jukebox Hero posted:

Everyone with any interest in horror games needs to play Parasite Eve. Probably the sequel too but I don't remember it as well. The 3rd Birthday not so much.

Whatever you do, whatever you might be curious about, do not play The 3rd Birthday. Don't even go look it up to spoil yourself because you don't ever intend to play the game. You will be happier this way. Much, much happier.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Morpheus posted:

Talking about fault in Fatal Frame games, what about FF5. So much of the tension in that game is hosed when the protagonists can walk out of the spooky place (in this case, a mountain) as they please, and then for some loving reason they keep going back.

"Hm. I should return to the mountain to find this out."

How about you loving stay away from ghost-rear end mountain or at the very least come back when it's the middle of the goddamn day you inebriate

You mean aside from The shop being no safer than the mountain? Also you can kinda infer that going up during the day means they won't get any answers if there's no ghosts.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Morpheus posted:

That's only true much later in the game though. At the beginning, it's not the case - and it's not really implied that it follows them around or something (though honestly I might've just forgotten if it did), they might've been able to just go elsewhere.

They all have reasons for wanting to go to the mountain, and they're all supernatural ones so going in the day gets them nothing. Nevermind that it's made clear later on that various ghosts are influencing at least two of the three to get them up there each night.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Crabtree posted:

I'm still wondering if you can make a game about intentionally pushing Uncanny Valley with I guess really too real graphics or channeling early Pixar/ Spirits Within to make an engine that is scary even without the setting.

Happened ten years ago with LA Noire. Also the reason the mannerisms of Stormare are captured so well is because they're fully mo-capped :shrug:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

King Vidiot posted:

Animatronic humans would be perfect to try that with though. Like fully 3D-modeled in a fully-rendered world with full freedom of movement. And make them animated the way animatronics are now, with little wire rods underneath rubber skin that contort the faces in weird and creepy ways. But the rubber skin has a ton of ultra-realistic detail like individual hairs and "pores" and all that.

Or have them animated like normal mocapped faces but then something "breaks" and you get weird unnatural facial tics when they go hostile.

FNaF works because it's pre-rendered, I think. You can't get a feel for how they're behaving or what they might suddenly do, and it's frankly unsettling when you catch a glimpse of them coming after you (eg; catching the fox just booking it down the hall to the security room on camera). If you use full 3D models the mystery goes right out the window once you can identify Animations #1-10.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Untrustable posted:

Any thoughts on Detention? A friend gifted it to me on steam but I read "point and click horror" and my eyes kinda rolled back in my head. As far as I'm concerned there's only been one good horror point and click. I'm eventually gonna have to try it because I'm a polite boy but I want some opinions on it.

Seconding what al-azad said, Detention is well worth your time. The mood through the entire game is very unsettling, and it gets loving dark at times. Not for brief shock value either, just genuinely terrible actions and events made in service of the story.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Untrustable posted:

Whiplash The Hedgehog (OC do not steal) lumbers out of the darkness and lets out a low growl. His arms and legs are different lengths and he's dark red and neon blue. In your head all you can think as you turn to run is, gotta go fast.

Truly the scariest game.

Someone's preparing for Sonic Forces, I see.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Night10194 posted:

Second Sight had an amazingly excellent twist, though.

The right kind, where it's foreshadowed just enough that after it happens you wonder why you didn't catch it before it did.

I love the poo poo out of Second Sight, and highly recommend playing it if you can snag a copy on PS2/GCN.

If you aren't able to play it, then watch My Name is Kaz's excellent Let's Play of it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ran into a fun bug in the Dead Space remake that caused the Necromorphs to vanish in Medical, save for their belt. Also caused the babies to lose their tentacles and be essentially neutered, so that made for a nice peaceful sprint for a spell to knock out a sidequest :allears:.

Specifically the jog to knock out the DNA sample of the Hunter. What looked to have triggered it was a Necromorph somehow being in the Security station and getting disabled as I physically entered the room taking out EVERY Necromorph instead.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well I'd be enjoying Dead Space Remake more if it wasn't straight-up broken. There's a loading bug that can cause enemies to disappear and items to fall through the floor. Reloading a save usually fixes it, unless you're in Chapter 10 where it triggers regularly, and reloading saves in certain places gets you a black screen.

And apparently this bug has existed since it released.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dregan posted:

I started playing it yesterday since it was on gamepass and I haven't had that particular bug, but I've twice had a cutscene fail to trigger and thus completely lock me out of the game. I read somewhere else that there's a bug that completely disables the enemy AI for a given section, which sounds great for ammo conservation but not so much for gameplay.

Also been playing 𝚆𝙾𝚁𝙻𝙳 𝙾𝙵 𝙷𝙾𝚁𝚁𝙾𝚁, it's good but the default Skeptic playthrough absolutely does not prepare you for the real thing. I breezed through a couple of playthroughs on it then hit quick play on Cultist, and was dead before I reached the end of the first mystery. Still a fun game, looking forward to dying in new and inventive ways!

If it's like what happened to me, it'll start occurring around the time you have to re-visit Medical.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mycot posted:

There's that Garten of Baban game that became a huge viral meme from the zoomer horror people making fun of it. But that's like one lucky case.

The most horrifying thing about Garten of Banban is how badly made the models are. :yikes:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Been playing Lethal Company with friends and randoms, and it's been fantastic fun. It's all fun and games until your torch runs out and you don't know where the gently caress you are in the dark.

And there's something making noises down the hallway... :ohdear:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CullenDaGaDee posted:

Finally got a chance to play Lethal Company with a friend and we had a pretty great time with it, wonderful game to play blind and bounce ideas with a friend on what the heck you should be doing. Notable moments were when we got really paranoid about the giant pumpkins on Assurance, since they move when you enter and exit the building and we didn't check the patch notes to see that they were seasonal decorations, and a moment where we got cornered by a giant spider and both elected to just jump to our deaths rather than be eaten by it. The progression in the game is wildly different from what I was expecting, I didn't think the game would have a failure state that essentially sends you to a fresh start. It'll be cool to play around with it more once our other friends pick it up and we can tackle it with a full team.

A good starting loadout is to blow your initial cash on two walkie-talkies and two flashlights. Also as an FYI, you can order multiples of something by putting a number in to the computer. (eg; walkie-talkie 2)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oxxidation posted:

if nothing else lethal company's clips make for some peerless viral marketing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Riha-5HjQ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at6NB_a0Flo

It's a twitter clip, but I always liked this one that's basically a short-form horror film all on its own.

https://twitter.com/ShitpostRock/status/1726213733503132109

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fil5000 posted:

oh no, now I don't want to play

There are only a few threats that can actually get inside the ship. So long as it's not dark, you're safe.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Had a Lethal Company round where I left my guys alone for TWO SECONDS while I was watching from the ship, and they managed to walk through steam and step on a mine :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

I have read some stuff about Wake 2 underperforming Control but it feels like there is a good chance all the praise will give it a longer tail.

Being digital-exclusive is probably hurting it too, compared to a combination of physical and digital salea.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I love how it comes out backwards, so he gets the slow-turn and reveal of it not being their friend.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

man nurse posted:

Fatal Frame was the most under appreciated horror series of its day and 2 scared me as a young’n to the point where I could barely play it alone.

3 is prettt cool, it’s got that Silent Hill 4 thing going on with a safe space that gradually becomes encroached on and eventually hostile.

I think the series has kinda dipped in quality with 5 in particular, but I appreciate that they’re being represented at all in the modern era.

Is the Wii version a good way to experience Fatal Frame 2?

I quite enjoyed Maiden of Black Water on the WiiU myself, though admittedly it's the only one I've played so I can't compare to the rest of the series. I'm glad someone cared enough to "rescue" it onto the Switch though :unsmith:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Miiight've splurged on a copy of Fatal Frame 3, as there was a $100AUD listing vs all the other $150AUD listings. :shepspends:

Gonna get 1 and 2 eventually as well, as Fatal Frame's a series I've wanted to explore more, but 2 is gonna be a bit of a splurge at an average list price of $200AUD. :retrogames:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Meowywitch posted:

Why is Konami doing this

Because pachinko revenue's been in the toilet, so Konami have to sigh, roll their eyes, and actually take people off the janitorial staff of their health spas to put them to work making videogames again.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

What I'd like to see do is them take what the learned from the Dark Pictures Anthology and add a formalized group-play setup.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blankspace posted:

Apparently Konami cut the trailer together using an old build from early 2023.

If true, very Konami of them tbh. Not sure what else anyone would expect when partnering w/ them.

Gonna laugh if it's another case of DOOM 2016.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Colonel posted:

i dont think bloober team silent hill 2 is going to turn out to be an extremely gratifying action game

More in the sense that the publisher cut a trailer with all the least-interesting aspects of the game.

I doubt it'd be the case here too, just it'd be real funny if they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

pedrovay2003 posted:

Yeah, I'm wondering if this is the permanent direction they're going with the IP, or if they're just testing the waters to see if people are still interested in the setting and characters at all.

The answer is always both, and if it fails the market data will say Nobody Likes [Franchise] rather than Nobody Liked [Tangent Spinoff], Make New Mainstream Entry Instead.

It's why people get upset when companies do this (:goonsay: petulant whining not included), because it's often hard to get across that you DO want more, just more like the original.