Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Sanitarium is what I'd call "Adventure Horror." There are few, if any, jump scares which distinguishes it from some other games in that genre, but I think it's way better at putting you in creepy and unsettling environments than poo poo like Phantasmagoria. I also like how the environment and the rules that the setting obeys changes very often so you never quite get a handle on or get comfortable with where you are and what's going on.

I consider it one of the best adventure games ever and definitely a good horror game to look into if you're tired of jump scares and repetitive plots/premises.

Are there any other games where the horror comes from simulating the helplessness of being an actual mental ward patient like that? I'm kind of glad its a little too much work to program several games at once just to keep it from being as repetitive as jump scares or run away from the boogeyman, but unfortunately that leaves Sanitarium all on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

al-azad posted:

Not really. There's some super old games in the vein of Mystery House called The Institute which are about living in an asylum. For the more recent stuff there's The Cat Lady. Phantasmagoria 2 also deals with a mental patient.

It's a setting that's woefully underused in video games but that may be a good thing. Mental illness is often vilified in videogames or seen as something to be feared rather than empathized. There's a few people using adventure games to try and convey the feelings of mental illness like Depression Quest and I hope more of them get made. I don't want to belittle these efforts by labeling them as "horror video games" but they are very much horrifying for the kinds of lives real people have to live each day.

Oh I doubt they can ever handle actual illnesses well, I meant like being trapped in an old style asylum where no matter how much you try to prove you're not a danger to anyone or capable of taking care of yourself, everyone from the state to a shifting line of doctors with their own ideas of treatment and diagnosis of your problem get in the way.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Is a horror game good if you're terrified of the concept, yet when you actually play or watch the game it completely kills any dread you have about it? Because that's where I am at with Five Nights at Freddy's. I'm unfortunately having no trouble in scaring myself silly when I think about this game at night, yet when I watch one of the many jump-on-the-fad videos or steams about Freddy, I'm just laughing at every stupid jump scare or doofy plot reveal.

Has this game succeeded in a sense if I'm still scared by the concept, or am I giving this game too much credit if my imagination's doing all the work that the dev possibly should have done?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

al-azad posted:

Are you actually playing the game or just watching it? Because games are best experienced, not filtered through someone's reactions on a face cam.

But I've experienced what you're feeling before. I never found Alien scary, even as a kid. Beyond the slow pacing and brooding atmosphere of the first half, the movie devolves into predictable slasher tropes. But it's still a thrilling and beautifully shot movie and I appreciate that much more than its attempts at being a scary film.

I've tasted the demo but it didn't give me any intention to buy the whole thing. But its become the next Amnesia and is so popular that its inescapable. So sometimes I think about it too much and I slowly freak myself out over a very good concept. :v:

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, the reason the scares are so effective is because the game is making you spin so many plates that you can't help but let your guard down, so when the eventual scare comes, you're not expecting it. It's like a magic trick, obviously if you sit down and pay attention, the guy is just moving the ball from one hand to the other, but by throwing in all this misdirection and pulling your focus away from what's actually going on, you can get a really good reaction.

I get how that can work, but I can only laugh at the scare-me when it arrives. It just looks so goofy when they run through the door and come at you. Everything up to that is fine and maybe its just the limitations of trying to work with a good foundation and little else. The lack of sound and the idea of something unseen coming for you works well even outside the game, but I almost expect a squeaky toy sound to play when they grab you.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 29, 2014

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
The Brothers of the Void are beautiful in an intellectual "someone actually payed attention to how horrifying angels actually looked in the bible" sense. The way they're just these living grotesque collections of objects that may occasionally have functioning hands or a torso or a growth of faces just makes it all the more terrifying to behold. I'll always love when someone knows how to craft abstract creatures correctly.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
It's also prefect ground to even dig a little into the fanbase seeing as this is apparently a horror attraction trying to milk a nostalgic urban legend and a few murdered kids. Such a respectful and intelligent way to seek your thrills by making the robot as realistic to the legend as possible. :stonk:

It'd be great if he actually tried to make a more direct narrative with this one, but he knows how big of a cash cow this game still is.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Oxxidation posted:

The pizza chain has finally died for good but some enterprising dipshits have scavenged the old animatronics and gotten them all in one building to create a haunted-house attraction, with the player character now doubling as the security guard "character" and an actual security guard. The entire first day seems to be nothing but a tutorial to acclimate yourself to the place's layout, but on Day 2 your dipshit boss manages to hunt down and install one of the original remnant animatronics, which is presumably Bonnie/Spring Trap. Spring Trap then spends the rest of the game busily trying to murder you, as is its wont.

Beyond that it looks like the sheer psychic anguish of all the animatronic parts stockpiled in the place causes routine hallucinations and interface fuckups if you don't keep your eyes on the cameras and the ventilation running. The ghosts distract you while Spring Trap closes in for the kill.

There also seems to be multiple endings? I really hope Scott ends it here as this is probably as far as you can go now unless he makes another prequel.The entire game just seems to be busy work until you don't get the jump scares even more than the first two.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I would honestly laugh if the Bad End is the only end in the game. It would be fitting, not just for the series, but also for the fans, tearing their hair out over something that doesn't actually exist.

And to be honest I don't really see how that can be called that when all you learn is why the one animatronic is called Spring Trap. It's really loving weird to have that be presented as a downer.

Hell, this poo poo is practically spoiled to you sometimes when there's a SCARY 90s 3D image that shows up before you get to the menu.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 3, 2015

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

MinibarMatchman posted:

the fact that people have already beaten the entire loving thing and are feverishly posting a zillion vids on stupid lore theories is hilarious. I mean is it really that loving deep, it's a jumpscare night trap game with a barely coherent ghost story thread

You'd be surprised how easy it is to earn YouTube Subscriber money making a hundred Top Ten FNaF theory videos every few days.

Oh and I guess there is a better ending. Burn this poo poo to the ground.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I think I finally found something to scratch that Social Horror game itch in We Happy Few. In practice, it probably won't be anything more than Dishonored/Bioshock but with constant sim restraints of The Ship, but maybe it could work?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
It's going to lose the point so badly, but we need another terrible video game movie to laugh at.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Yodzilla posted:

Why the gently caress would you remove PT, even without a later game it's a fantastic standalone experience.

Because hatred is more important than profit or professionalism to Konami.

Regarde Aduck posted:

So instead of making cheap casual phone games AND triple A game blockbusters like MGS which bring prestige to your company they are going to just have the cheap casual phone games?

I don't get it. They were making profit off both types of game. Now they only have the profit of one type. This isn't progress even in a purely capitalistic view.

Japan loves phone games! Mobile is the future and will never fail!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
The biggest problem with another Manhunt is Rockstar mostly seems to want to re/make elaborate sandboxes these days, outside of Max Payne 3. I don't think there's anywhere for a sequel to go at that point unless they want to make American Psycho the video game where you're a serial killer hiding in plain sight or something - and even then, that's mostly every GTA clone anyway.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 1, 2015

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
If I believed that Konami had some business sense, I could at least see them just renting the Fox Engine out like Unreal for other devs to use. But with the P.T. purge, I'm not sure if even that is also going to be locked on a server and buried in the earth because gently caress having anything to do with video games anymore that aren't on mobiles/pachinko.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Oh he's probably already been courted by any big developer that can reach him, the question is if Kojima wants to do anything involving video games now or in the foreseeable future. I'd like to see him come up with something in a few months, but I don't know if he's going to take this departure from Konami as a vacation for a little while or not.

But the video game industry being his oyster is the silver lining to this debacle as he could probably convince any major producer to fund some sort of P.T./Metal Gear Like game just by paying EA or whoever a visit. He may be a bit of a creative Diva, but his name means something in the industry and he has the track record to back up the costs of signing him on.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 9, 2015

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It seems like with Kojima having severed his ties with Konami, they could still do some kind of collaboration. Kojima almost certainly has enough pull in the industry that if he wanted to start his own studio he'd be able to find investors and employees pretty easily. Sure they wouldn't have the rights to Silent Hill, specifically, but given that it was going to be kind of a departure anyway, it seems like they could just start a new IP, like the original Team Silent devs did with the Siren series.

At this point its just a game of waiting to see which one of them gets drunk enough to say gently caress it, call the other up and make Not Silent Hill anyway.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I can't wait for Freddy X to be a space pizzaria.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Tired Moritz posted:

LPs in youtube is seriously business. Gonna be the first if you wanna get the views.

Or release smite like lore videos questioning about what new canon this brings about in several hundred top ten farts vids. If there will be one thing that will feed this fandom for probably 10 years worth of games is that there continues to be no real story about Freddy and people instinctively buy the game to try to fill in the lines.

EDIT: Also gently caress being first now, Markiplier is always going to steal the spotlight whenever his videos are released and he'll take the top listing whenever his content comes out because he was first to scream at a facecam when the franchise began. This gold rush to try and out-compete the established names is never going to get old.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Additionally he's known to donate sizable amounts of money during YouTube/Twitch charity streams for things like children's hospitals, clean water, etc - like in the thousands and tens of thousands at a time, including a collective quarter-million to St. Jude's. I'm sure he's making more than just "enough to keep the lights on" nowadays but he's definitely sharing the wealth. I think you could say that for his fame as well since several YouTube personalities have flourished thanks to FNaF whereas Cawthon is content to be the man behind the curtain. I can empathize with the feeling the fanbase and/or LPers are obnoxious or the gameplay is simplistic, but at the end of the day FNaF has done a lot of good.

I'll never hate scott, but I'll always laugh at the fandom that gives him all of his charity money.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jul 24, 2015

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I am sure TV tropes is going to explode again but the ending was pretty explicit in its resolution of one of the few remaining questions of the series: you are the victim of the bite of 87, which happened not because of malicious robots but because your shithead brother shoved you in Freddie's mouth

Yep, Game Theory and the like are already seemingly steamed that no matter how they keep reworking their little canon, more games keep getting made that ruin the intricacy of their lore that move this from some allegory of The Aurora Chuck E. Cheese shooting of 93 to the story of vengeful dead kids trying to protect children and stop purple whoever to just scary poo poo keeps happening. But this is what it ends with. Several teenagers shoving a small child into a robot's mouth for shits and giggles until it closes down on his little brother's skull.

Xenomrph posted:

I tried to watch his videos for Spooky's House of Jumpscares, and his inability to shut the gently caress up and let the game just breathe completely ruined the experience for me. Jumpscares generally work because tension builds and then the jumpscare is the "release" - the tension never builds if you're constantly talking and trying to be "quippy" with your verbal diarrhea.

It's aggravating because I generally find Markiplier's voice not-annoying, so if he did LPs of non horror games it could potentially be good/entertaining. But goddamn were his Spooky videos terrible.

Isn't inane gibberish between screams the entire entertainment value of all scare cams?

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jul 24, 2015

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Xenomrph posted:

Perhaps, but I was just trying to get a feel for the game itself since I'd never heard of it. Maybe it's my fault for looking to Markiplier to deliver that.

Well you're not alone or wrong for not enjoying them, I just thought this was the formula for all of these videos now. Markiplier and PewDiePie got a lot of views for showing their stupid faces so now everyone needs to show their marshmallow head making every stupid word and covering their eyes as they bleat out how scared they are. That there are some people who aren't as annoying as others, or if it wasn't Freddy they wouldn't be as obnoxious. But its FNAF, everyone seemingly expects scare cam 101 and these as the basics of YouTube Revenue.

There are ambient no commentary playthroughs that will come up, but its scarecam season at the moment.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 24, 2015

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Ofaloaf posted:

I don't even know what fanon is being nullified. Is it the nature of the Bite of '87?. I'm still not sure what actually is happening in that game, much less whatever headcanon's being destroyed.

They're throwing poo poo fits over how this takes place during 1983 instead of 1987 because the coding on the teaser sight changed to 83 from 87. No really, that's their stupid argument.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Can weird coexist under horror or is it too different of a creature to be in the genre?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Ineffiable posted:

I think if it's surreal enough to be chilling, it can also be considered horror.

I guess anything that is so odd that it can make you uncomfortable is a kind of horror. It just has to strike a tone from regular Earthbound like goofiness, even though that particular series can get dark very quickly just because it starts so sickeningly sweet.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
So, did anyone take a plunge into Albino Lullaby to see if it delivers on its goal of wanting to make a horror game without any gore?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The Park: A Single-Player, Psychological Horror Experience Set in The Secret World Universe - this comes out Oct. 27th. Not much info on what it actually is, but the strongest part of The Secret World was its locations and the atmosphere and lore attached to them. That Halloween-town place you start out in was almost worth the price of admission.

So this may be that, but without the bland, stilted MMO components?

Its certainly something slightly different in that you're a mother looking for her kid. And its kind of interesting that they outright tell you that this game should take an hour or two at most so maybe they're very confident in delivering their "experience". But the Secret World in general would be better as single player horror ventures or RPGs so hopefully the Park lets the franchise grow into something better than a wasted MMO idea.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 14, 2015

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

1stGear posted:

Part of me says this is some huge bait-and-switch and FNAF World will be another horror game.

I think the real horror is for all the streamers who flood to this game hoping that happens. And the fandom splits in half warring over whether or not this canon.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

oldpainless posted:

Seriously though the only things Simon says (heh) are GEEZ LOUISE and that yell Goofy does

Finally, a horror game that doesn't take itself seriously.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Any games with good synth soundtracks ala Halloween or Phantasm? With all the emphasis on nostalgia in games I find it odd that seemingly no one takes that approach in emulating 60s-80s horror music, so I'm hoping someone can prove me wrong in assuming it hasn't been done much if at all.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Odd that most of games that utilize that sort of music are the ones where you're the crazed murderer and not the one being chased by one.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Speedball posted:

Dying Light has a pretty drat good synth soundtrack, actually!

And a lot of its systems (a nighttime which is more dangerous but more rewarding, parkour, zombie judo where you throw them aside by waiting until after they attack etc) make the over-tired zombie setting pretty fresh. GORGEOUS environments too.

SHIIIT. I guess I never noticed between all the zombie groans, drop kicks and me swearing at the game for loving up full screen.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Rockstar had to have went to the lengths it did with The Warriors game as they wouldn't be true boppers if they didn't match the same sort of soundtrack to it. It'd be like making a Suspiria game but not taking any inspiration to blend horror with ballet. I'm glad they put as much effort as they did in it; however, I unfortunately cannot even imagine what garbage they could have made if they didn't go all out exactly like they did.

MockingQuantum posted:

Also, I would like to recruit the horror game thread brain-trust here: I'm starting down the (very very) long road of developing a game, and while I don't think it'll be a strictly-speaking horror game, it's definitely going to pull a lot of inspiration and tropes from horror. So what are everybody's favorite games that lean more heavily on the creepy/unsettling side of the horror spectrum than the out-and-out scary? I've been thinking through recent games I've played and I honestly haven't come up with good examples, beyond some of the quieter moments in the Silent Hill games and that sort of thing.

Edit: maybe a better way to put it, for my purposes, is I'm looking for games with very creepy atmospheres/environments, but less reliance on monsters & scary situations, if that helps.

I don't know if I'm anywhere near an expert but what exactly are you implying by no "monsters & scary situations"? I remember a friend telling me how they got uncomfortable at Moonside and the Happy Happy Cult in Earthbound when he was young, but I'm not sure how you can create horror without some sort of agitator or situation that is threatening to some extent. Are you talking about the beginning of Patholgic where the horror comes from a very real but not fantastical terror of a great plague? The aforementioned Rule of Rose where the more scary thing was trying to mingle in an oppressive society of rear end in a top hat children? Sanitarium where the monsters were part of a dream that held your memory? Theresia where most of the dangers are old adventure game styled traps you have to find through trial ans error as you try to discover memories that probably are better to never know?

I don't want to make you share information you'd rather keep close to your chest for now but what exactly are you looking for?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

MockingQuantum posted:

Accordion Man kind of put it better than I did. Basically the concept I'm researching right now is a game with a heavy reliance on atmosphere and environments as the source of what makes the game unsettling, rather than tense action or horrific creatures. I'd even like to stray away from the sense of being pursued since I think it almost without fail leads to more jump-scare situations than anything. FWIW a lot of the stuff I'm reading up on for inspiration are on failed expeditions with mysterious outcomes, like the Franklin northwest passage expedition or the Dyatlov Pass incident. Whoever said Fran Bow earlier pointed to a good example of a game that's unsettling and "scary" without really ever forcing you to take action in response to a threat.

I wish I could give a better answer than that, but at the same time I kind of don't. I'm so early in this process that I'm kind of trying to be receptive to any inspirations that I might stumble on, so I really don't know exactly what I'm looking for. I'd say the environment/setting is extremely important, though.

So a better Kholat? Do you just want expeditions or do you also wanting lost cities or disappearing colonies like Roanoke Island?

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 23, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Well its goal was to be a game with absolutely no gore or jump scares so its seems to have done such in all the parts that have been released. Can't say I appreciate a game cut up into chunks like that, but Albino Lullaby is okay for an attempt to be something different.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Is there anyway to utilize 5th generation polygons for stylistic horror? Like could it be unnerving to take a character that started in modern 3d rendering and have monsters or the transition from normal to the strange be from degenerating or simpler graphics?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I know silent hill loved its dirty hospitals, but has there ever been any horror games involving dentists? They sort of share the same sort of fears of putting your life potentially in some stranger's hands, but I was only wondering if I missed the one game that had like drill protrusions and scalpels coming out of someone like spider legs or a camera from the perspective of watching something get really close and operate - but you don't know exactly what they're doing and where.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

King Vidiot posted:

Maybe it's just me and my childhood fear of dolls, but I really think horror games need to use more dolls in creepy scenes like that. Or more to the point, living dolls as enemies. They had something like that in that super-early scrapped version of Resident Evil 4 and I'm kind of disappointed they didn't keep it in.

I think there were at least porcelain faced enemies in Alice: Madness Returns, but I don't think many games use dolls as enemies or as the results of what something does to its victims if you are looking for something to really play with an uncanny valley reaction or outright fear of dolls.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Chev posted:

And here's the first trailer for the new FNAF:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw4-bZkxyKQ

Maybe it'd be interesting to see their weird Bayformer face sections to sort of move as they look in cameras or open up as some kind of set of teeth, but this doesn't look like much unless you can actually try to move and hide around the lab. Is this a animatronic plant or something?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I just noticed the soft "You don't know what we've been through" at the end so I guess its possible the robots will actually talk now. But if I hear children trying to be creepy by saying nursery rhymes than there will go my last shred of patience for this franchise.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Spite posted:

seems more likely it would open up a gate and let hellish and/or lovecraftian horrors into our world.

That's only if you go about ritualistically murdering Konami executives in order to merge our world with the world where that Silent Hill was made. There needs to be more games where designers or game companies themselves are killed like that one Japanese DS game that was like The Ring but for gameboys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I don't know, it kind of skirts the line of it, but the Souls games aren't Berserk enough to really dive headfirst in the horror roots its tapping throughout its franchise. Demon/Darksouls and Bloodborne are weird in that its a horror game where you are one of the monsters. You don't start out as King Horrifying of Fear Mountain, but you're encouraged to become the most dangerous monster of them all by the game constantly beating you down until you figure it out. It has the same right as Resident Evil does in claiming to be survival horror, but the only thing you're managing is your souls/blood AKA power, you're being hunted by other players and as either a cursed undead or a member of the hunt you're in arguably a worse place than any human becoming a zombie could be.

Its an aberrant mutant of the genre that you can make cases that it is and isn't horror that are all true depending on who is playing it and what you consider horror to be.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 23, 2016