Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

You can tell who liked the first game, because all you need to do is say the word 'ladder' and they instinctively wince and call you a motherfucker.

The third game... honestly, I'm not sure about it. I mean, the environments are arguably a step up from the other games, and co-op adds an interesting dynamic, but I have a hard time remembering anything about it. I can remember bits and pieces, like at the start when you kick open a door and can slow-mo headshot five guys in a row (and get an achievement for it) and I can tell you one or two things that happen, but I'll be damned if I can tell you what they actually look like. It's like the game automatically erased itself from my brain after I finished it. I assume I had fun, since I played it to the end, but other than that, I don't remember a thing.

The Paxton Fettel gameplay mechanics were actually pretty cool, and in my opinion the best part of the third game. Essentially by default you are in ghost form, which means that you have very little health and shoot plinky little fireballs. The gimmick is that you can possess nearly every enemy in the map, which has two benefits: their body acts as armor and you get instant access to their weapons. But as you possess them, they begin to "burn out," eventually disintegrating and leaving you out in the cold (getting damaged increases the rate of the burn out). Killing enemies while possessing a body generates little orbs that refill your burnout rate. The result is a surprisingly fun, timer-driven action game that forces you to constantly be active and aware of your surroundings.

I honestly believe that those mechanics could sustain an entire game. However, F.E.A.R. 3 drops the ball by throwing you into levels that don't take advantage of that unique skill set, and forcing you to complete missions as Point Man before you can play through them as Fettel (if you are doing it single player, anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU