Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ineffiable posted:

If I remember right none of the environments are inspired. And there's some annoying parts. It's fun to fight your way through but that's about it.
Hell Descent and the Shepard house were good, but yeah its mostly forgettable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Bogart posted:

My personal white whale is that one Agni: Queen of Darkness / Lost / Inferno: Where Death Is Your Ally game. I found a :files: version of it that's totally untranslated so it just sits there, staring at me, begging me to download it. I know it's not particularly well-regarded among the Eurofolks who played it (this is an old game, like, Unreal 1 engine) but I gots to know. Even got folks in the IPL fan discord to look through it since they might've legally bought it and it looks like poo poo so I KNOW it's not good but.
It sucks the original version of the game made by Irrational got canceled, it sounded cool.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

FreudianSlippers posted:

Giallo is usually non-supernatural* whodunit stuff though. Like one of the reasons Argento made Suspiria was to distance himself from giallo by making supernatural.

I would love to see a game that takes its look, feel, and sound design from giallo. Saturated reds and blues, gaudy modernist interior design, groovy soundtrack, and a overly complicated plot that doesn't quite work if you actually stop to think about it.

*Not counting stuff like psychic powers which were generally accepted to be totally legit in the 70s.
Hotline Miami is probably the closest I can think of to a gialli game. Original Clock Tower cribbed a lot from Phenomena but I think horror movie fans might get into a disagreement if you considered Phenomena gialli.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 12, 2018

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Crabtree posted:

Is there any other game that tries to do Argento/Carpenter/80s Rick Wakeman synth as that was able to convey a kind of music that goes hand in hand with video games.
Sylvio had a good Carpenter-esque soundtrack.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Cardiovorax posted:

Might just be because it's a licensed game and no true "hardcore gamer" takes those seriously, so the player base kind of self-selects for people who don't have their heads quite that far up their asses.
Another part I think is an elaboration on that first point in that it attracted fans of the movies so they were just content to experiencing the movies in game form instead of playing to win.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Thomas' portrayal isn't perfect but the game is entirely sympathetic to him and it really doesn't treat that he is mostly likely a trans-woman as anything wrong, the game makes it rather clear that it was George's horrible abuse that broke Thomas and drove him do George's bidding.

I'm playing The Missing right now and its real nice so far. The IM emotes are hilarious.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 17, 2018

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Crabtree posted:

Sorry if this is more of a general does this happen in video games at all question, but has puppetry ever been a thing in horror games like claymation? Stuff like The Dark Eye or Dream Machine, but with puppetry, real or digital, straight outta Thunderbirds.
Closest I can think of is a 90's Danish adventure game, Blackout. All the characters are puppets and I'd say it counts horror as you delve deeper into the game.

There's an LP of it in the archive and it was where I first learned of it

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

exquisite tea posted:

If he’s so so great then why does he have to pay Norman Reedus 100 million dollars to be his friend.
That 100 million is for Norman Reedus, Mads Mikkelsen, and Guillermo Del Toro to all be his friends.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

WaltherFeng posted:

I mistook a lady with a knife for a common enemy and it took me a while to figure how can I kill it with just a pistol and a crossbow. Turns out shock bolt stuns it just long enough to empty a mag on its head.
You also can two shot those enemies with a stealth attack.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

WaltherFeng posted:

In a perfect situation we would get a sequel that sees him return as the primary antagonist since he is most likely the only person who has any knowledge on STEM and motive to use it.
They set that up at the end of 2, because I think he'd be the only one able to reactive STEM what with every Moebius member dead. I only played 2 so I may be wrong.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Nov 9, 2018

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Can anyone recommend more stuff like The Painscreek Killing to me? I'm looking for stuff with realistic graphics, clue and puzzle solving with little hand holding.
The graphics are old school computer monochrome but Return of the Obra Dinn otherwise fits the bill.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

al-azad posted:

Wasn’t the last Blair Witch game the sequel to Nocturne? I liked that game.
That was only the first episode of the first Blair Witch game, the other two episodes of the game weren't made by Terminal Reality so they dropped the ties to Nocturne.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Squiddycat posted:

I'm playing Rule of Rose and while I think I like it the combat is particularly bad. I have a big pipe but I'm pretty sure half of my attacks are just outright missing enemies even when the pipe connects directly with their bodies

It doesn't help that there's always like 10 enemies clustered together and healing items are very, very limited.
Don't fight, run; its super easy to do so because imps don't actually block your way and will straight up sidestep out of your way if you're running past them. The only imps that you should actually fight are the fish imps because they're much easier to kill with the pipe than to try and rush past because they'll punish you for doing that.

There are some fights you can't avoid and my advice to you is that the third hit of the pipe is a guaranteed knockdown, that trick helped out a lot in one of the boss fights.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 28, 2019

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Squiddycat posted:

Yeah I was in one of the forced combat sequences in a small room against big scissor wielding kids when I got tore apart

I may just cheat invincibility before continuing because some random internet guy said it increased his enjoyment by 100% and I of course trust him
The Goat Sisters can be rather annoying (I died several times to them, the most in my playthrough), that strategy I mentioned applies to the fight though and makes it manageable. Just hit one of the sisters with the third hit of the pipe and do the same to the other with the first is still getting up. That way they can't double-team you.

Cheating is fine though if it lets you experience the rest of the game, which is fantastic.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 29, 2019

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Didn't the guy in Silent Hill 4 just make the mistake of moving into the wrong apartment?
Yup.

Origins also technically counts, because the default ending that you get for beating the game once is more about Travis confronting his abuse from his parents but he did nothing wrong. The Butcher ending hints that he's a serial killer, but the main game doesn't really build that up enough.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 1, 2019

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, DP2 is Switch exclusive.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
One of my favorite things about Nosferatu is your basic fists can stunlock non-vampire enemies quite well so the game ends up being a far better Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood game than the actual one.

Its definitely one of those games that desperately deserves a remaster but will never get one.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Sep 14, 2019

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The SH2 copycats also tend to fail to capture the murkiness of what James did too. Copycats just have your protag just be a unambiguous piece of poo poo and don't have something as complex where James murdered Mary out of a mix of the selfish desire of finally being free of her and his love for her because he didn't want her to suffer from a disease that was going to kill her no matter what.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's also implied that the Missionary/Scrapers are actual cultists, so Vincent may have been somewhat had a point aside from trolling Heather.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, the nurses/doctors are controlled by parasites, the same ones take over Cybil.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Crazy pills because REmake exists.

Unless he means the best version of original RE1, then can't really say.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Bogart posted:

I’m several years late on doki doki literature club but I started playing today. Are there any gotchas I should know about? I know it does some weird file stuff.
The gotcha is that its bad.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 2, 2019