Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
What does this thread think of the F.E.A.R. series? Do they even merit being brought up in a horror games thread? There is definitely some creepy stuff in them, and creative jump scares. But I personally find them to be the most tonally bizarre games around as they feel like a cross between Silent Hill and Half-life. One minute your supposed to be creeped out by ghosts and scary little girls, and then the next your getting into a full blown firefight right out of an 80s action movie. I never played 3 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I do agree that Half-life 2 has an awesome vibe. Nothing is overly explained but you sort of fill things in for yourself as you explore and observe the environment. Left 4 Dead series is very similar. Valve is so good with storytelling I wish they could spend a little less time on Dota.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Ok yeah, that's more what I meant. I guess it is hard to call it a story when your main character is a mute who doesn't say a word to any of the other characters, or even really acknowledge them.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
All this HL talk is really making me want to play through the whole series again. HL: Source, Opposing force, Blue shift, HL2 and the episodes. Been a long time since I have played them all.

I just started amnesia last night partly because of this thread. I went in totally blind with basically no idea what the game is about. Pretty fun so far. Surprised that it seems to be a period piece. Don't really understand the sainty effects too much other than I guess I am supposed to stay in the light to stay sane? I am hearing a lot of strange things that I am never a hundred percent sure are supposed to be ambient sound or my sanity draining. Haven't run into any monsters yet but caught a glimpse of one. Just got the key to the wine cellar.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah it's an awesome slow burn sense of dread and decay. The Combine are strip mining the Earth, and slowly herding the human race into various ghettos, and fundamentally changing the eco system of earth (actually this might be an unintentional side effect of the resonance cascade).

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Is it an upcoming game? Dying light popped into my mind just from your description.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I am totally ok with Capcom re-releasing the best classic RE game. I also think it would be awesome if they made a completely new classic RE style game and released as a download only title. Feels like a new one of those games would be awesome for 20 bucks or so.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Man, I am so hyped for Silent Hills. I really do think Kojima is the perfect guy to bring back the franchise, since he is really great at finding unique ways to mess with the player through game play mechanics and 4th wall breaking tricks.

I fully expect we will get horror equivalents of Psycho Mantis reading your memory card and having to look at the back of the box to find the right codec frequency.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I just heard about this game called The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. It looks like some sort of spooky adventure game where you play a detective who can talk to the dead trying to find some kid who went missing.

It might not be jump scare type horror but judging by the gameplay video I have seen it definitely looks like just the thing I have been looking for after playing P.T. Just an atmospheric first person puzzle/exploration game with some occult H.P. Lovecraft stuff thrown in. Looks pretty awesome and comes out in September.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q_aNw4pTqc

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I would like to see five nights at freddys expanded into an entire theme park setting, and be a fully 3D game with you exploring and avoiding the robots. That would be cool.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I am playing through Outlast and really loving it. It is a bit of a one trick pony and could have used a few more stealth mechanics because if you are ever spotted and can't break line of sight you are pretty much done for, but it really nails the atmosphere and scariness for me. There is some really gruesome messed up stuff in that game.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

A. Beaverhausen posted:

God loving DAMNIT, I at least wanted to play PT whenever I got a Ps4. Horror is dead.

I bet someone makes a Half-life mod or something trying to recreate PT. Heck it probably already exists. Actually a mod that takes inspiration or concepts from PT would be pretty kick rear end.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Basticle posted:

So whats stoping Kojima & co from just making a horror game elsewhere without the Silent Hill name tacked on?

Pretty much nothing and I think it would be great to see Kojima go "indie" whether it is horror or not.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Pretty sure somewhere in the fine print for both Xbox Live and PSN there is a clause that allows them to take stuff down for whatever reason they want. Not sure about the refund issue but in the case of P.T. it doesn't really apply since it is totally free.

I have no idea if they are actually removing the files or just making it unavailable to purchase.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So it is probably way too early to know if it is horror or not, but I think Firewatch is looking pretty spooky. It could go in a Gone Home sorta direction though.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
P.T. will be talked about around the campfire by our grandchildren in hushed whispers at this rate.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
My pipe dream outcome of the success of RE and RE 0 HD would be Capcom making a completely original classic RE style game with those graphics. Would be perfect as a download only game for 30 bucks.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

frank.club posted:

What's a good horror game on ps4 that's not Isolation or Outlast? I've played both of those already.

You've got just a bit of time to wait but SOMA is going to be out Sept. 22nd from the people who did Amnesia.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Thinking about playing through all five nights at freddies games. Do they hold up if you marathon them. I can imagine they are all fairly short right?

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Anyone just feeling kinda iffy about Until Dawn? It's a cool idea but I feel like it will basically be a more horror version of Heavy Rain and the stuff Telltale has been doing.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Accordion Man posted:

The first three are classics, its goes all downhill after 3.

This thread prefers things go silent hill rather than downhill.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
RE7 and Outlast 2 will be the horror games of 2017

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Yardbomb posted:

Outlast 2 meh, RE7 absolutely looks neat though.

I feel like I am the only one who really liked outlast. I know it is very repetitive, but I actually loved the jump scares and it was really like running around a haunted house with some pretty messed up imagery. I think it could have used some more mechanics to it's stealth. Like maybe some way to stun an enemy when you get spotted so you can run, because it was extremely frustrating that almost any time you spotted it equaled instant death.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Wow I did not know they were making another Call of Chthulu game. I definitely hope that turns out good. There is a lot of potential in that setting.

Not really a high grade horror game but State of Decay 2 is set for 2017.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Days Gone. I think that game actually looks kind of cool if it delivers on the idea of being chased through an open world by hordes of infected like the trailer. It at least looks like a different take on a zombie game.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Doesn't that friday the 13th game have singleplayer now or did I imagine that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Well I bought Outlast 2 for 9 bucks. I was seemingly one of the few who enjoyed the first game so I hope this one is worth it.