Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

Mr. Fortitude posted:

There's nowhere in the game that's damp enough for the characters to get wet. Anyway I'm glad there's an official remaster with localization, the old fan translation actually got a lot of little things wrong in translation which I think gave some who played it misconceptions about the story.

Oh, no, I guess I'm going to have to play this again, woe is me.

(I love Mask of the Lunar Eclipse, and I'm incredibly happy that it's finally getting an official release outside of Japan.)

CuddleCryptid posted:

"Alongside graphical and costume improvements we have added the wetness feature from Black Maiden by popular demand"

I think my heart stopped for a minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

man nurse posted:

I forgot about Shatmemz, I did get a kick out of that one. It was at least trying to do something original instead of aping all the popular elements of past games. The psychiatrist stuff is funny as hell but I do like that the game will change poo poo based on “you zoomed in on this booby calendar” or some such. It was a novel idea. I think having it separated into either chase sequences or absolutely no threats at all probably harmed it.

I thought the idea of what they were trying to do was interesting, but for me, it was kind of ruined once I realized that there was absolutely no threat whatsoever when the world wasn't frozen. The not-frozen, not-chase areas were supposed to be the dark, scary atmospheres that made you want to take everything slowly, but there were literally no dangers or consequences of your actions at all, so it kind of stopped being scary.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Kokoro Wish posted:

The first Dreadout is actually pretty alright, and has one of the best little face-to-face sequences I've seen in a game like that.

Two is loving God awful.

This, a hundred percent. I loved the first DreadOut from beginning to end, but I have no idea what happened during the development of the second third one (I forgot about Keepers of the Dark). DreadOut 2 feels like a different group made it.

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 16, 2024

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Instant Grat posted:

Just finished Resident Evil 8

I was expecting a big twist to explain why it goes from being pitch black middle of the night to mid-morning with plenty of sunlight in the span of about a minute when you're exploring the very first house during the intro, but no such luck. guess Romania's just weird

What did you think of RE8 compared to RE7? I think I'm in the minority here, but I liked RE7 more. The Family was just such a memorable cast of characters for me (and the End of Zoe DLC was so much fun that I don't even have words to describe it).

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
I keep forgetting about the ship in RE7. I love that game, it's probably my favorite in the series now, but yeah, the ship wasn't great. It's not the worst thing in the world, but it just wasn't as fun as the other areas.

The one thing I'll give to 8 over 7 is that I think Ethan's personality was way better in 8, and by that I mean that he actually had one. There were times in 7 when I'd have been making GBS threads myself in his situation, and he didn't seem to give any sort of a crap. The way he acted and the emotion he showed in 8 was much better, in my opinion.

Buck Wildman posted:

re6 also had the thing back when it had online support where you could potentially have other players join in on levels where the campaigns overlapped as the other pair and you'd see them running around doing their own thing while you did yours. this happened maybe twice when I did it but it was a really awesome feature

Holy crap, I had no idea that this was a thing.

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 6, 2024

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Instant Grat posted:

Shadows of Rose thoughts: real bad writing, fun as hell final boss

Shadows of Rose existing at all kind of surprised me, because I thought that I had read that 7, 8, and 9 were going to be a trilogy, so I figured 9 was going to be Rose's story. That was a hell of a time jump for a DLC.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Midnight Pooptrain posted:

Would be interesting if it was Rebecca.

I'd love to see Rebecca in another game; at least she got some recognition by being one of the main characters in the last CGI movie, so we at least know that they remember that she exists. I'm also a little surprised that we haven't seen Billy a single time since RE0.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Hag in The Quarry is good fun. Her tarot gimmick is a nice touch and her being actually a character in the story so she gets mad when you do things she doesn't like.

The Hag of Hackett's Quarry?!

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Honest Thief posted:

Fatal Frame 3 doesn't quite grab me as much as the previous two, but it's close to being great I feel, it just takes a while to start showing its hand and I'm not sure the mechanic of journalistic investigating is coalescing to something interesting.

I thought some of the later in-Rei's-home scares were some of the creepiest in the series, but I do agree that it's overall not quite as good as the first two. The story was interesting overall, and I liked seeing some familiar faces, but it just didn't have the impact that 1 and 2 had.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Glagha posted:

He'll yeah another House of Ashes liker

It always makes me happy to see this. While I don't think any of the Dark Pictures games were as good as Until Dawn or The Quarry, House of Ashes was easily the best of the bunch. I genuinely loved the twist on the creatures in that one.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Honest Thief posted:

Saw the Fatal Frame movie, it's on YouTube, pretty cool lesbian gothic horror story about horny teenage Catholic lesbians. Around halfway it loses steam tho but it's worth a watch

It was a pretty good movie, but I would have absolutely never thought of Fatal Frame had it not been in the title.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
The Callisto Protocol recently had Denuvo removed from the PC version, so I bought it a few days ago and I finished it last night (it's coincidentally also a part of Humble Choice right now). I quite liked it, I didn't think it was as bad as everybody made it out to be when it released, but it certainly isn't the Dead Space successor that I think the developer really wanted it to be. It's mostly melee-oriented combat instead of the cool gunplay from Dead Space, but they also tried to keep some of the dismemberment system, for some reason? It didn't seem to be nearly as impactful as it was in Dead Space. That being said, the story was okay enough (and I'm genuinely curious about how much of it was left over from the original PUBG story that got scrapped), the voice acting was quite good, and the graphics on the PC were absolutely gorgeous if you can turn them up all the way. For $12 in the Humble Choice bundle right now, I can't really not recommend it. If you like Dead Space, you'll find something to like here; if nothing else, the environmental design and little details were absolutely amazing, they nailed that aspect.

Without spoiling anything, even after the Final Transmission DLC, they definitely left it open for a sequel, but I don't know if that's going to happen now because of the sales numbers. If we do get more from the IP, though, I'd play more.

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 4, 2024

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Oh, that's interesting, I'll definitely play that when it comes out. I need to listen to the prequel/prologue podcast, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Vermain posted:

pivoting the callisto IP into a cartoony isometric twinstick roguelite shooter is certainly a choice, although it doesn't speak much to their faith in its ongoing marketability as a horror franchise

Yeah, I'm wondering if this is the permanent direction they're going with the IP, or if they're just testing the waters to see if people are still interested in the setting and characters at all.