Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

al-azad posted:

I think I'm going to go to Revelations 2 next because Revelations was surprisingly enjoyable even on original 3DS and I hear nobody talk about it despite starring Claire and Barry's foulmouthed teenage daughter so how bad could it be?

Revelations 2 is fantastic not just for the story but the multiplayer portion. You too can play as Albert Wesker and apologize to people by calling them idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Carrion is an insanely fun game so far.

Not an empty quote

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

just played some Phasmophobia myself with some friends and we had a blast, though we fumbled a lot. I had an issue where while I could hear in game audio, but no ones voice activity would come through for me. Everyone else could hear each other and speak to each other, but couldn't hear me. Voice recognition tested fine, so I'm unsure if the ghost could hear me or not. What are good places to look up for issues aside from Steam discussions?

Don't get me wrong though the game is fantastic and very tense. Def super enjoy it and can't wait to see more added or improved.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Tbh if it gets any more realistic and refined, it's gonna go from mildly unsettling to pantshittingly terrifying. I'm not normally one affected by jump scares but the tension of trying to find the room the ghost is in and worrying that it's going to start hunting you really makes it easy for your one rear end in a top hat friend to scare the poo poo out of you with sudden noises.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I think my biggest problem with the game is the un-intuitiveness of the journal and knowing if you've submitted the ghost type properly or not. Also just trying to get around the journal quickly.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

MockingQuantum posted:

Yeah there's def room for some little fixes there. We mostly just jumped to the back page, since if you enter any pieces of evidence, it automatically narrows down what ghost types it could be, which can help to make an educated guess later in the round.

I wish this worked the other way around to save time, ie if you know you have Ghost Writing, and maybe have orbs, but aren't sure of the third evidence, it would only let you select Shade or Yurei, just as a quick way to see what ghosts it could be. In that instance, you might be able to figure out it's definitely a Yurei because a hunt started when a bunch of players were together or whatever.

Ironically I think Yurei is the easiest to tell because its special is everyone goes insane super fast which is really noticeable and also doesn't require you to interact with the ghost. Our first hunt actually turned out to be a Yurei and once I read the entry I pretty much instantly thought it was one despite the lack of a third evidence piece just because even it being our first time I kinda kept side eyeing our sanity meters and thinking "Man you lost sanity super fast, that's kinda nasty." to "It's def a Yurei."

I think minor gripes I have are needing to buy a thermometer instead of just starting with one. Also just make flashlight default equipment that doesn't take up a slot and can just turn on or off with T. That or just provide 1 flashlight per person by default instead of making you buy extra.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I walked up out of sight from a door as my friends were asking the ghost to close the door and shut it without them knowing. They lost it lol.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Discendo Vox posted:

Co-op Goons Discord is now set up to support Phasmophobia with a dedicated LFG role, etc. It's always a question of getting a critical mass of frequent players, though, so please join if you're looking for regular co-op of any kind.

https://discord.gg/UUNqrwt

It can not be understated enough, join this discord. We already had one full group for Phasmaphobia last night, with one person in VR no less! Game is fun, and it's also amusing to shove a newbie in the ghost room and have them call out its name to try and force a hunt prevention via Crucifix or get a picture of the ghost.

And by amusing I mean terrifying because I know I'll probably have to go in there myself.

For the audio issues, a common fix I've found is to make sure that before you open Phasmaphobia you completely close discord. Exit the Discord app, then open Phasmaphobia. Once you're loaded into the game lobby then you can open discord again. This in particular fixed my issue of not being able to hear any local or radio chatter in game which I had every time I loaded up the game.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 12, 2020

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

MockingQuantum posted:

Okay let's get real, thread: how the hell do you get the Crucifix objective to complete? My group has gotten it once, by accident, and never been able to replicate it. We have, on multiple contracts, figured out the specific room the ghost is haunting (or at least we're fairly certain we have, it's always been the room with low temps/fingerprints/ghost writing/orbs), dropped two crucifixes in there to cover as much of the room as possible, and sent in a single person to call out the ghost's name. But either nothing happens, or we end up with an angry ghost appearing somewhere else in the location (usually nearby) and killing one of us. I thought I read somewhere that the ghost will always start hunts from its "favorite" room, is that not the case?

The only other thing I can think of is that we're chronically wrong on which room the ghost is primarily haunting, but it seems unlikely that would happen a half dozen times now. Also is it possible that the "room" the ghost is centered in can actually be one of the hallways in the larger locations? I think one time we had a Crucifailure was because we thought it was in a classroom, but was actually in the corridor outside. But if that's the case, how the hell do you know where to drop the crucifix?

I dunno every group I've been in that has set their mind to get it has gotten it. Sometimes you get it without even trying as long as you manage to determine the room the ghost prefers. I find it's easier to have everyone else in the truck and then have the one person try to piss it off. Keeping an eye on the objective is also nice since you can say for 100% certainty if you actually managed to stop a hunt with a crucifix because the objective will grey out obvs.

If you aren't 100% sure a particular room is where a ghost will spawn, placing one crucifix in the room and one out in the corridor can help, though with really huge rooms (*cough*highschool*cough*) you kinda just gotta pray or figure out if it's gonna spawn in a particular corner. Hell even the farmhouse with the big living room can have the ghost spawn on one particular side. Also this bears repeating, just because you got a level 10 activity spike does not mean the ghost was trying to start a hunt! It may have just been a Ghost Event where the ghost manifested for a moment. You really gotta force the issue by pissing it off repeatedly unless it's a particularly aggressive ghost.

The other issue is ghost type: Got a Banshee? Good luck getting the objective, they barely do anything with a crucifix in the same room. Got a Mare but haven't figured that out yet? You probably have all the lights on and are gonna struggle to get it to attack. Wraith? Bitch floats through walls, it's almost impossible to pin down their fave room. Hell we had a few hunts last night where it was incredibly hard to find the fave room because the ghost was just moving everywhere and didn't even have low temps.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

It's worth pointing out as well that the new Prison level on the beta branch is super fantastic. Far and away the best put together and best looking map of every map so far.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I have it pre-ordered on Steam and am pretty stoked to play it. The aesthetic looks fantastic and I've got not preconceptions about the gameplay yet.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Put 6 hours in today myself and aside from one area in particular that dropped me to single digit FPS in certain spots (using a 2060) overall game runs pretty well even on high settings. There is one kinda of weird visual issue I'm not sure is a graphics issue or intended in the game. Considering the weird pop-in overlay it's probably a graphics issue and I'm not really sure what causes it.

As for actual gameplay... I like it! The aesthetics are fantastic and nothing gameplay wise overstays its welcome overall. That said The Medium falls into the category of "You'll get just as much out of watching someone play it as you will playing it yourself" to me. I may change my mind once I complete the game however.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

At it's core Horror as a genre is difficult to make into a game simply because the easiest and most effective way to make a horror game imo is just... not make it a game. The feeling of helplessness is usually a big part of horror in general which in terms of gameplay usually means taking agency away from the player which while good in terms of a horror setting, is kinda bad in terms of actual gameplay. When the genre you're using is placed in a medium whose greatest strengths lie in a direction that is contradictory to goals of said genre, getting that balancing act right is unsurprisingly difficult to pull off.

Relatedly, I genuinely think Phasmophobia is the best actual horror game I've ever played. You can go about playing each round however you want with a large amount of freedom to accomplish the goals presented to you. The horror comes from both the atmosphere provided and the ghost itself, both the knowledge that the ghost is real and can kill you and the fact you can do literally nothing to stop it once it starts hunting. It's just a mad scramble to try and get the evidence you need while hopefully none of your team dies to the ghost's hunts. Add on that a kind of soft time limit of running out of sanity at which point the ghost will just chain hunts till your team is dead or you leave is kind of just a cherry on top.

Compare to any other "game" in the horror genre and generally it's just a walking simulator of some variety with extremely limited interaction and choice from the player. There is one path, maybe a couple of variants and you will follow it to the end for the "experience" rather than because it has any compelling gameplay.

edit: what a page snipe

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

dogstile posted:

I mean, in theory.

In practice, from the thread:

Like, it's probably far scarier in solo. Any horror game with people rapidly turns into people shouting whatever they find funny. :v:

Even with me hitting level 300+ and always playing multiplayer poo poo still spooks me and the tension is still good, especially with all the recent beta branch changes that smoothed out the big bumps from bugs/glitches. Hunts now are genuinely terrifying regardless of ghost with how well they can track you down now if you aren't careful.

Basically just always play on beta branch.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

You actually get to see Ethan's face in RE7 no? Or am I misremembering

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Finally playing DDLC and going in only knowing about Just Monika memes (I pronounce it mo-neye-ka to irritate a friend) and man at least knowing the game is going to get dark there are some really obvious signs in the various girls of serious issues. :stare:

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 29, 2021

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Replayed through Dead Space 2 again after picking it up after the summer sale and man stabbing yourself in the eye is legit still so extremely disturbing every time.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

veni veni veni posted:

Phasmophobia is a great concept for a game with a lot of good ideas, but I would love to see the same take with some budget behind it. It feels so glaring that it was made by one person using stock assets. I'd love to see it with some very atmospheric and nice looking environments, with much wilder ghost types.

I do appreciate it for being probably the only multiplayer game I have played that actually manages to be scary.

I have good news, it now has multiple devs and the most recent update was a big visual and audio overhaul. It now looks and sounds a lot better, and more stuff is coming.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Monoclinic posted:

That's all fair. I did like that the main character is explicitly an engineer that should be fixing these things. I think the parts I found most samey were moving around a particular cargo item on rails.

And looking, I actually have DS2 in my Steam library so I will likely check that out! Thanks for the recommendations all.

Highly recommend trying out the Javelin Gun and Force Gun, a lot of the fun of the weapons other than the Plasma Cutter is the physics you can get when killing necromorphs. Both guns are in DS2 as well!

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Lobotomy Corporation is a pretty great story fed to you via a management simulator. The horror is also more a slow realization type that creeps up on you as you uncover more and more. There's like, technically one or two jump scares? And you honestly might not even see them unless you plan on doing the 100% finish. And that you can honestly just look up the ending for online instead.

Highly recommended unless you really can't stand management simulator type games, otherwise just check out the LP that just got posted to the LP archive.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Is the story more than just SCP: Anime? Ie, "we have world ending monsters that we keep contained for the sake of power, resources, or just because there's a 'protect' in our name, we could stop the inevitable apocalypse by destroying these monsters but think of the possibilities"

It's been answered already but yes. In fact, the Abnormalities themselves are not the story, they're more just the backdrop. Each Abno does get a small story blurb and some of them are pretty drat good, but they aren't the actual focus of the story. I also don't blame you at all for thinking that the story would be about them in the first place, it's a pretty easy read to make.

Like genuinely if you aren't interested in actually playing the game (management sims aren't for everyone), def read the LP. The story goes places.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

From everything I've read FNAF: SB is poorly optimized on both PC and consoles. Folks with pretty good comps are getting massive FPS issues on the highest settings and even on Low still get a bunch of jank. There's been a patch on PC recently but dunno if that's fixed issues, and consoles certs take a while regardless.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

FirstAidKite posted:

I want an entire game of just RE Raid Mode with a collection of greatest hits from the whole series

Hell yes. Add every character and more series enemies, remove/change the weapon/mod grinding to something less tedious, and add in more level goal types and it would be absolutely amazing.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

No, though there are some character unlocks locked behind beating the story. To prevent spoilers.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 25, 2021

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Tbh I liked the first third of the game, and then you hit uh *gestures* and the plot goes very downhill. Also starts doing too long walking sequences

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The first chapter is legit pretty good gameplay wise, it's not just walking simulator and involves some actual puzzles that take a bit of thought.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

don't forget the cucumber. the cucumber is important

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The core of Control's gameplay imo is solid, but the details really break down if you try to add any kind of challenge difficulty to it. The main issue being how good Launch is and how everything else is overshadowed by it. The real charm is Jesse's reactions to the overall experience for me.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Was browsing Steam Store and apparently a new game dropped into early access on June 8th called Eternal Evil. Apparently story complete, with the early access mainly for the dev to squash bugs that will pop up on computers other than the one they developed on and a plethora of alternative stuff. The game is complete others and at only 15.99 gonna take a stab at it.

It's billed as an old school survival horror fps

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Section Z posted:

Okay so, zombies, ghouls? Nothing you can't handle-

*Sees a screenshot of a Bloody bear eating a body.

Well, gently caress.

Okay so I'm gonna add an addendum to this game to warn any arachnophobes: do not play Eternal Evil. There are very graphic, well modeled giant scorpions and spiders. I don't see any options currently for an arachnophobia mode and I'd be honestly surpised if it got added, not sure how you'd even changes these models. A few other disclaimers: English is very much not the first language of the dev and while it's noticeable it's still very understandable. Also all the starving vampires can suck your blood and get big, buff, and bust out of their shirts. This includes male and female models. You will also encounter topless enemies of both genders. Yes, there is titty is this game and I really didn't expect it tbh. It's... eh? Not sexualized at least.

That said, game is good so far! The combat is solid, a lot of effort was clearly put in to weapon animations and reloads, and the knife is good. On top of that it has very RE collectable based puzzles, and they are actual puzzles you have to figure out from notes and signs. None of them have stumped me so far but I did have to actually think through a few of them for a bit. The boss fights I've have encountered have been somewhat underwhelming, and the ammo is plentiful if you don't mind taking the time to knife kill walker vamps.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

1stGear posted:

On a scale of Minecraft to Skyrim, how bad are we talking? I'm not an arachnophobe, I just want to see if any game spider will ever be able to topple Skyrim's.

Here, have a video. Spoiler'd of course, for those who are arachonobic.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/789881673092562944/985283577480642671/SPOILER_arachnophobie_beware.mp4

edit: guess spoiler tags prevents the video from embedding and just downloads it. Hm. Eh, it'll work I guess.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 11, 2022

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

So far? I'd say well worth the 15.99 I paid and then some. It's got great atmosphere and sound design, the combat is solid and not frustrating. The story is alright and 100% wears its inspiration on its shoulder (RE1-2 but vampires), but so far I've still enjoyed following it. The UI is easy to parse and the puzzles are all tough but not frustrating. There's also a way to skip puzzles that I didn't make use of if you get really frustrated with them, though you may have to give a gun up to do so? I'm not entirely sure.

I'd give it a recommend for sure, with the cavet of really don't play it if you have arachnaphobia.

edit: just to touch on the combat a bit, it's way slower and methodical. The guns are all strong but if you have to reload anything but the pistol you better hope you haven't trapped yourself in a corner somehow. The gun feel is all satisfying though and clearly a lot of effort was put into the animations.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 11, 2022

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

1stGear posted:

loving wow, hand over the crown Todd, that is a drat good spider.

Oxxidation posted:

the rigging between the mandibles is too stretchy but otherwise, excellent spider

It looks a lot more horrifying when its alive and trying to kill you, I only pulled up my recording software after I killed it.

The scorpion is honestly equally terrifyingly well done.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

As one of them (thank you all for spoilering that poo poo), I could deal with it because it was just a shadow. Still made me extremely uncomfortable, but not enough I couldn't play, which is any modeled spider past the System Shock era.

I have a good friend I do a bunch of co-op games with who is a big horror and horror games buff.

He cannot certain types of spiders so I try to be aware of that sort of thing when talking 'bout games. Definitely don't play Eternal Evil.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

also in case anyone was still wondering how inspired by the RE series the dev of Eternal Evil is:

edit: because there's actually a second spider in the game, I went ahead and got some footage of it when it's alive. Because I'm thorough or something like that?

obviously spoiler'd

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/789881673092562944/985585596107993138/SPOILER_spiders_alive.mp4

this game is pretty drat good for a single person dev team, from what I've been able to gather I believe it's a single person team at least.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 12, 2022

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

joylessdivision posted:

Yeah you have to beat the game once to get raid mode.

Is this a switch only thing? I never beat the story mode of Rev2 and just jumped right in to Raid mode on PC. There are some characters locked behind beating the story but that's all I saw

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Spider tech is getting pretty advanced. Now i just need a spider-patting game

I would unironically play and enjoy such a game.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I dunno, I know it's different for different folks but if you think RE2make is too scary Until Dawn might be way too much. Maybe the fact it's third person might help?

I'm not sure what I'd suggest if RE8 is just about what you can handle. What about it meant you weren't too scared? What puts you off a lot and what types of things are too scary for you? What sort of other horror games can you not handle?

edit: I am now baffled if you thought The Quarry wasn't scary at all lol.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

worms butthole guy posted:

I think with RE8 knowing I was powerful helped and that was my favorite part of RE2; the beginning part being able to explore and have fun without having to worry about lickers and MR X on my tail.

I have RE3 also but I imagine nemesis is even worse?

I haven't played RE3 myself so can't comment. The RE games have always done a good job of making you feel powerful since 4, so maybe you'll enjoy RE4 if you haven't played it? Having just gotten a chance to play it myself after way too long, it's a fun romp of action-y schlock and well worth a playthrough. Be warned it has tank controls which might throw you off a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Dead Space 3 is never a game I would recommend in good faith. Dead Space 1 and 2 are both great though.