Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

al-azad posted:

If the game is too ugly for you then play Source.

Except don't play Half-Life Source because for some reason it is totally loving broken and has tons of issues once you hit Xen including a game-breaking bug where the game will always crash while you fight the Nihilanth ever since one of the Source engine updates.

At least, that was my experience attempting to play through it a while back. Maybe they fixed that. Even then, it's not really a huge graphical upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations are actually horror games because you will look at them and be horrified when you realize that there will never be another fun and decently polished Sonic game ever again

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Cry of Fear is simultaneously a solid graphical achievement for a GoldSrc game and also a pretty bad, janky horror game that feels like it wants to be Silent Hill but without all the good parts of Silent Hill. I only played a small chunk of the game before losing interest, though, so hey, maybe I'm wrong.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
decided to finish twilight syndrome this month and play through moonlight syndrome since i was always curious about both and have been studying japanese long enough to just about follow their stories and dialog and, it is the horror game month. i didnt know how long it'd end up taking, cause every chapter of twilight syndrome can be surprisingly sizeable, some of them took around three and a half hours. moonlight ended up being significantly shorter since only a couple chapters in it even approach an hour in length

twilight syndrome was neat, not so much scary but good at building weird atmospheres. kind of annoying with bad ends in the ways an old adventure game could be, but it also has some funny "decent" endings where you just find some dumb way out of the situation without actually resolving the core of it, and the best endings feel suitably final in how you resolve stuff. the big thing that makes it work is that the general character writing, especially in the second disc, is legitimately pretty good. for a cast who only exist to be reckless girls getting themselves into incredibly dangerous ghostly peril, they put a lot of effort into giving life to the general world around them and characterizing each character and their dynamics with each other so that you have reasons to care about them and to find the ghost stuff particularly abnormal and weird. got a bit curious about writing credits since there's some weird development stuff behind it with suda51 technically directing the game but actually coming in as a replacement and not actually writing much of it himself, but was surprised to find he actually produced about half of the stories in the second disc because development troubles forcing them to make a second disc as a second "game" meant they didn't actually have enough content in there to justify it, and what he produced was some of the best stuff in the game. his weird hidden bonus chapter was also uh... a trip. which brings up moonlight syndrome.

yeah for moonlight syndrome i have no way of describing it other than an actual trip. i've played all of suda's later adventure games so i'm familiar with his sense of humor and love for weird purposefully confusing writing but. moonlight syndrome is both the most obvious instance of him ripping off lynch and also the biggest troll he's ever pulled. it's also a genuinely gruesome game and much creepier than twilight syndrome mainly because of how consistently detached it is tonally, it lacks any of twilight syndrome's attempts to give the world a sense of life because it is more literally about a world devoid of humanity that is slowly growing more and more inhuman. it's not so much an amazing horror game as it is a really distinct tonal piece on the ps1 and a fascinating game to look at for all the dna that can be seen in grasshopper manufacture's games down the line, because everything from simple character writing choices to visual design concepts originate here, just in their... roughest form. frankly i don't think the game will ever hit as hard as it did on its original release because so much of it is fundamentally built on the shock of how weird it is as a twilight syndrome sequel, and now that it's had so much time to sit and has both from the side of developers of later twilight syndrome games and from suda's own words been basically decanonized from the series, most of its impact is just for how bizarre it is that it even exists in the first place, and how the events of it manage to directly link up with a setting that grasshopper's continued building up to this very day since then. but i had a good time with it and i probably still won't forget it any time soon, even if i'd definitely say that later suda games are better at provoking the same kind of atmosphere in more stark ways while wasting less of your time. i do prefer, though, its lack of real choice and lack of game overs to how twilight syndrome can infuriatingly bonk you on the head 3/4 of the way through a 2 hour long chapter with no checkpoints. that is a rare instance of suda being more forgiving with his game design than you'd expect

i kind of want to talk about the ending of moonlight syndrome because it's legitimately one of the most stunning and inexplicable things i've ever seen in a video game and the way the silver case follows it up is the funniest thing ever but. honestly i don't even know if i actually want to spoil it for too many people because it's that nuts

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Oct 15, 2022

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Bogart posted:

I will say that I'm never going to play Twilight/Moonlight Syndrome, so please spoil it.

moonlight syndrome got immense hate for being nothing like twilight syndrome. tonally, aesthetically, and gameplay-wise, there are no ghost investigations, there are no branching choices or multiple endings, and rather than using a rotoscoped art style that's heavy on 2d elements it uses very crude pre-rendered cg graphics. and probably more than any of those things, it features the characters getting into all kinds of genuinely unsettling situations... and in the end, they all get horrifically murdered, decapitated one by one by an otherworldly child-like being who takes pleasure in psychologically tormenting and killing people, and who has previously spent the entire game torturing mika kishii, the youngest and most generally silly and lighthearted member of the group who has always looked to yukari hasegawa, her upperclassman she views as a mature and strong leader, and chisato itsushima, yukari's friend who she trusts for her insight into the supernatural granted to her by her powers of ESP, to protect her. the entirety of moonlight syndrome the being appears and taunts her, placing her into empty locked rooms, nonsensical twisting mazes, endless nightmare realms that may or may not be entirely different alternate realities while submerging her hearing in loud and irritating static, and potentially even at less obvious times forcing her to hear bizarre strange whispering and noises that may or may not having been other people's thoughts, encountering suspicious people on the street who leered at and harassed her, subjected her to stalking and at one point, being kidnapped. all for the purpose of breaking her down psychologically until all her faith in mankind is essentially evaporated and she's turned into a shell, spiriting her away from her friends.

the ending, though, is also where it gets... weird. and where the responses kind of become weirdly funny when you think a bit about what's going on. this spoiler covers the things that... kind of exist to explain the ending? so the other side of all of this, starting in chapter 2, is a story about a character named ryou kazan. he's a new character to moonlight syndrome, a quiet, closed-off guy who lives in a warehouse and wanders around with his hands in his pockets, barely saying a word to anyone. he has kind of a hosed up past they don't waste any time revealing--his sister, promising to protect him, telling him he was too weak to protect himself or anything else, made sexual advances on him. and he accepted. this prompted the jealousy of another man, sumio tohba, who was interested in his sister. ryou's chapter is long, surreal, and has lots of voiced dialog that i struggled a bit to follow, but the short version is that ryou heads over to sumio's club one night. on the way there he meets sumio's younger sister, rumi, and has a lengthy conversation with her where they are implied to have some past relationships, and rumi seems to generally have issues with other people but also with ryou specifically. at the club, he meets a woman named yayoi... yayoi itsushima. yayoi is her own weird can of worms that the game never gives a clear answer on. she claims to be interested in ryou, telling him she's always been watching him. she invites him up to the upper floor of the club. upon following her there, ryou finds himself in a strange small chamber, walled in with mirrors and with a single chair in the center. sitting in the chair is sumio... with yayoi. sumio tells ryou that he is here to make ryou pay for a past sin he has committed against him. suddenly, yayoi is holding a bloody bag. she hands the bag to ryou. the only thing you see from inside the bag is long hair trailing out. the game cuts away to sumio chatting with a woman in the club. a haggard woman appears claiming sumio fathered her child and abandoned them. she approaches sumio talking about how she is going to get revenge. she sets herself on fire, and sumio chooses not to run but instead to simply stand in place and erupt into flames with her, laughing as he slowly loses consciousness and dies. yayoi quietly stands over his burning body to watch him die. ryou sees a vision where he is in a vast green landscape with a single tree in the center. all of his friends are there. his sister, sumio, and yayoi...? they each give him some words of encouragement to send him on his way. ryou walks home and when he gets there, receives a phone call from his sister, apologizing to him and saying she won't be able to come home. in the previous chapter, focused on mika, it makes the news that ryou's sister dies in a car accident, running into a truck while riding a motorcycle and dying.

of course, i say that all sets up the ending, but i guess in some ways that part requires some explanation itself. don't worry, it doesn't really get a lot. the ending is insane. following all of this, ryou has spent the game seemingly being cast as a guardian figure for mika. they never explain how this came to be, but the strongest connection is that mika looks identical to his deceased sister. unfortunately, he doesn't do a very good job and in the end, after the being has killed everyone else, it's up to ryou to defeat it. chisato uses her ESP to resurrect herself for a minute and guide ryou over to a katana in a mysterious room, telling him it's all up to him. ryou grips the katana and thinks about his own weakness, about the people who brought him here and how he needs to believe in his own strength. he slices at the being, as it mocks him with every hit, every piece of its body he cleanly cuts off. just when it's about to end... the screen goes dark. ryou is back in that strange place again. his sister thanks him for holding her in his heart, and asks him to finally let go (i think, again i really struggled with following the game's voiced dialog at times). it cuts back to "reality". the being lies curled over, dead, on the school roof. impaled on ryou's katana. yayoi calls him a pitiable young child. the credits role as ryou runs alongside a hilltop, full of life and love for himself. at the end, he reaches mika, and they embrace.

and then the credits end. and you get one final scene of rumi, following the events at lost highway, entering ryou's home. ryou is sitting on a chair, no life left in his eyes, staring at tv while holding the bloody bag holding his sister's decapitated head. on the tv is a repeating loop of mika's face. there is no sign that anything outside of chapter 2 ever happened. he never met the twilight syndrome girls. none of them were ever hurt. it's questionable whether the twilight syndrome cast even exists in this universe at all--it's not remotely the same hinashiro, the old hinashiro was a quiet little town while the hinashiro of moonlight syndrome is a cold industrialized cityscape. (there's even one little detail to differentiate them: in one of the stories suda prodiced for twilight syndrome, they make note that in the past, hinashiro was spelled 雛代, while in the present, it's spelled 雛城. the hinashiro in moonlight syndrome is spelled 雛代. there is one side conversation in the lost highway that seems to exist to explain the difference in atmosphere as the town having been industrialized over the past year, but given everything it's hard to know how much that matters to the connection or how much of it is real and not born out of ryou's mind to explain the gaps.) ryou never changed or grew as a person. he simply imagined it while sitting here, the entire time, watching this loop of mika's face on tv. the end.

so yeah uh i'm not surprised the game only sold like 20 copies and the next twilight syndrome game didn't acknowledge it. kinda get the feeling the game was never meant to be acknowledged, considering. all that.

oh yeah and then the silver case happens and in the opening it's revealed that ryou regained consciousness. upon doing so, he... ran out in a murderous rage holding a gun, leaving rumi behind. when he got outside he eventually ran into police detective tetsugoro kusabi and fired a round into his car. at some point, rumi herself went nuts and followed him, too. kusabi called it in and alongside a young recruit in a special tactical crime unit, chased down ryou and rumi, ultimately killing them both. that's how that game starts. the little prelude comic they included with the silver case remake even makes the connection explicit and explains that ryou is so far gone he thought his sister's head was mika kishii.

e; a chunk of this is also just my personal reading, basically everything about the games moonlight syndrome onward up to no more heroes are left purposefully vague and open to interpretation but moonlight is the most vague since while the setting is revisited in later games, the events and most of the characters are not. the ones who do reappear, namely the one in flower sun and rain, don't elaborate on anything so the only sure takeaway is the fact that they do exist.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 15, 2022

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there are also some development stories about moonlight syndrome i love documented in english on the fansite paradise hotel 51. the whole moonlight syndrome page is a short article on suda's history at human entertainment, from fire pro and swapping into directing twilight syndrome to why he made the choices he did on moonlight syndrome and ultimately started grasshopper afterwards, and it documents some of the response to his games like how the initial director of twilight syndrome loving hated what he did with the second game. you can kinda get the sense from human's way later games that the company was going under but it's funny seeing that suda was openly talking about how he jumped ship or, rather built a ship to jump to, cause their president got arrested for tax evasion and he immediately knew everything was hosed

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tried playing dna: dark native apostle today. weird obscure early ps2 bomberman offshoot with a vaguely survival horror theme. it's uh, well i played a really bad low budget survival horror ps1 game recently called chaos break and dna started off decent but the second and third areas gave me vibes closer to that, than to bomberman or a good survival horror game so i quit halfway through. funny opening and some cool music though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qOywJXWTgQ

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ramie posted:

gonna cross-post the little blurb I wrote on the gamechat thread, in case anyone else is looking for a little spooky something tonight

of the killer is ftw. excited for the last one

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean deadly premonition 2 has a story. it just, is very confused about what it wants to do with the murder mystery half of the plot, and ends up not really doing anything with it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I thought he didn't write that.

he wrote the original script, the anime staff made alterations to it. the manga seemed a bit closer to his original script and was... not as horrible? but on the whole sotsugyou's original concept is still a mix of decent ideas and very, very weird ones, his idea for how to explore satoko in a way that gives her more agency unavoidably has to run into the problems of rika doing stupid things for no reason and satoko doing awful things for no reason. ryukishi is, not consistent. this isn't an indictment of him exactly cause i think within all of his messier writing you can find a little bit of what makes his better work cool it's just very common for him to fall into his worst traits. higanbana's pretty illustrative of this because there are genuinely good stories in there you just, also have to read some pretty bad ones

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 1, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
american nightmare isn't dlc, it's always been a separate game. its original launch was an xbox live arcade release. it's like dead rising case zero/west except not locked to a 20 year old storefront

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah max payne 1 got the rep as being the hardest poo poo ever just cause nobody knew they were actively making it harder for themselves by tricking the game into thinking you were an action god

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Fake Name posted:

Also I know that Silent Hill as a series has emotional trauma as a major story beat, but having a fun "IT'S TRAUMA! :yotj:" emoji is just WTF.

i mean thats the problem. the problem with all later silent hill stuff but also especially here. silent hill 1-3 and, even kinda 4 to its credit, are games making an earnest attempt to explore dark psychological subjects and they do it in a pretty tasteful and understanding way, they are deeply sympathetic games that understand the kind of people they're trying to write about (mostly, silent hill 4 gets goofy but silent hill 4 is uh, obviously not a finished game)

western silent hill is. weirdly exploitative. it's a bunch of games that see, oh silent hill 2 was about a bad man who did a bad thing and forgot and he has guilt about it, and maybe there's an evil cult sometimes. they see oh, there was a nurse and she had a drug addiction. there's people with Trauma. these games are about Trauma, so we need to write a story About Trauma and about how You're A Man Who Did Something Bad. and thus you get, silent hill homecoming being about you going to the silent hill cult hq to fist fight the silent hill cult in order to resolve your buried childhood trauma over accidentally pushing your brother off a boat and then lying to yourself about joining the us marines so you could avoid the truth that you accidentally pushed your brother off a boat, also it defines whether you get the "best" ending or not by whether or not you choose to mercy kill your mom by shooting her in the face with a pistol when the game is, not actually presenting an immediate case for why you should shoot her and not try to help her, and whether you choose to forgive your dad for being abusive because well he had his reasons, and you know, forgiveness is always the right option.

and shattered memories being about what kind of dad you are and you win the game if you play the game correctly and get all the Good Dad Points by not getting distracted by uh, looking at the environmental design of the game. did you read that note about the choking game? drat, sorry dude, you just unlocked a few too many Sex Addict Points, now your relationship with your daughter is defined by how you ignored her to go gently caress women all the time. downpour is, probably the best western silent hill game somehow, and it's still a game that defines your ending 100% by what Morality Points you got. the fact that all these games define themselves this hard by this stuff obviously just because well, silent hill 2 had it, is incredibly funny considering silent hill 2 silently weighs its system to make it near impossible not to get Leave on a first playthrough unless you're actively trying, it clearly considers every other ending to be an extra weird thing for flavor. likewise silent hill 1's endings were just rewards for being willing to spend a bit more time doing thorough adventure gamey puzzling and exploration, silent hill 3's was just one weird extra thing if you went out of your way to make a lot of purposefully weird choices and silent hill 4's was just kinda a weird result of the games unfinished experimental nature.

ascension is kind of the logical end point of this stuff because once you've spent years on cheap, rushed contracted out games that only understand the surface elements of what they're trying to work off of, i mean of course you don't loving respect the ideas of that material enough to treat the most basic themes of it with any respect and of course if you're hiring people who are in a dumb detached ceo mindset they're not going to be capable of doing that either. and for a program like silent hill ascension, which is building its monetization so hard off of, this poo poo, you're going to just pull whatever crap you think people might find vaguely funny or merchandisable. we need funny fake chat dialog for our marketing material to show how the in-game chat will work, what's a recognizable thing about silent hill someone might post in chat about? oh yeah, cults. we need funny emoticons to sell people for 20 bucks. what's an emoticon we could make that's silent hill related if we already have one of pyramid head? oh hey, trauma is a part of these games, right? uhhh... big rainbow text saying IT'S TRAUMA! yeah let's go with that. that is the process, that this poo poo is made by

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Nov 2, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
asking people to buy the founder's pack for my new project, Rule of Rose: The Collapse, where you get a funny little sticker of an orphanage and a blimp. pay five dollars extra and you can even get one of a crying dad

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
silent hill 4 isn't good exactly but i'm not going to blame the team for it because konami didn't really provide conditions for developers to make normal video games and that only got worse and worse the deeper into the 2000s they got. if you actually look at their ps2 lineup it's obvious they're rushing and cheaping out way harder than studios like capcom, and i like most of konami's ps2 output

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my favorite insane story of konami horrifically mismanaging game projects in the ps2 era was how tokimeki memorial 2 was like, ultra big money poo poo, one of the biggest releases on the ps1, one of the biggest technical marvels of the system, came out on four discs cause it had so much unique high quality art and sound assets and an attempt at an ambitious childhood prologue chapter with 2.5d isometric free roaming gameplay, had a lot of weird mechanical ideas and features totally unique to it that no other game has ever done before or since, had an incredibly beloved cast of characters for their bizarre, comical and varied designs and personalities.

2001 comes out and konami tries to crowdfund tokimeki memorial 3. they literally opened a tokimeki memorial 3 fund where literally anyone could invest money in the development of tokimeki memorial 3. this gave you real full-rear end investor status and they knew everyone would be tossing their money into that tokimeki memorial 3 pile to get a cut of the game's sales, there was no way it couldn't sell. tokimeki memorial 3 comes out and it is the cheapest, ugliest, most poorly made game in the series and no one buys it, it uses a really ugly 3d art style nobody likes, none of the characters are funny or interesting and it is all around a worse game than all of its competition, the mainline series dies for eight years

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you can at least watch metal gear solid: the movie in it. only because kojipro made the spinoff vns for the ps1 games and put that in one of them though

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i believe in bloober, to make a bad game that sadly wont even have rutger hauer in it for me to listen to and think, hey that's rutger hauer

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

CuddleCryptid posted:

Imo part of the reason why the earlier Silent Hills work is because you are fighting through manifestations of a traumatic backstory but it's usually someone's else's story. In 1 Harry was pushing through Alessa's nightmare, in 2 you had James all personally hosed up but also seeing other people's "towns", and in 4 you were going from place to place as a poor schmuck with the worst landlord in the world. Even 3, which entirely revolves around Heather and her relationship to the Cult, largely has monsters and themes that are symbolic of stuff that most teen girls are afraid of, such as sexual assault and pregnancy.

After the series got exported they started to focus a lot more on a singular main character and therefore the *trauma* had to come from the protagonist, but you can't just make them a bad guy or the player won't sympathize with them so they do the SH2 twist every time.

That's one thing I liked about Homecoming, it went back to the idea of the main character going through other people's hells along with his own.

i mean the thing with the original silent hill games is that they're just more empathetic in general. it doesn't need to specifically be about other characters it just needs to be interested in what the problems it's talking about are and how they effect the people who are struggling with them. silent hill 2 has james and eddie, who it's a bit more critical of as people, but it also has angela who is just, kind of a tragic person the game has no harsh words for. it presents her situation as what it is: a very horrible thing that happened to someone, and who without anyone to help them is just kind of living with the fact that this happened to them, struggling to figure out how to move forward when it doesn't feel like she was given a life to live to begin with. out of all the ps2 games sh2 is like, the only one where the center character is someone whose pain is a result of their own mistake, and even then the game isn't exactly about that, james isn't a monster, he's a pathetic person but the fundamental horror and where all of his trauma is rooted in is the pain and suffering of someone he did care about, pain and suffering he was powerless to stop, how that powerlessness and desperation and self-hatred pushed him to do something he could never possibly forgive himself for because in that desperate moment he genuinely thought it was the only way he could ease her suffering, and the game explores both of their pain in that moment in fairly equal measure. none of the games that try repeating silent hill 2's core idea fundamentally recreate the specific depth and nuance silent hill 2 managed to carry with it, they only focus on the fact that you are playing a sad man, who did a bad thing, and he feels bad about it, and either you Redeem Man or you do the bad man things and Doom Man.

add onto this the fact that, silent hill 3 as a game was very aware of the nature of 1 and 2's protagonists and that it couldn't just repeat Weird Guy In Horror Town again and it would be a very smart idea to get a bit more varied and interesting with what kinds of characters the series features at the lead, and then every game afterwards is... about Weird Guy In Horror Town.

exquisite tea posted:

Despite no lack of trying nobody has made a good Silent Hill game in nearly 20 years, so anything else that happens to it is now funny, instead of sad.

i think fundamentally nobody has had to because the ideas of silent hill disseminated into the wider horror game genre anyway so it's easy enough to make something borrowing its ideas without tethering yourself to an infamously awful company to work for. rule of rose came out just a couple years after silent hill 4 and was already a game that, for all its design problems, i'd say largely carries the spirit of what i'd want out of silent hill while carving out its own identity. silent hill can't be a mega franchise like resident evil, the defining parts of it are too specific while the parts that are "easy" to pull on to make More Content really just aren't, and konami's continued failed attempts to pull that kind of franchise identity out of it are kind of a sign of that

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont think homecoming put 2 on a massive pedestal but it absolutely tried to rip off its twist in the middle of clumsily threading the cult of samael into an absurd plot mess

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there are funny ideas in shattered memories but the game is way too obsessed with the standard tack of thinking its deep psychological analysis system is actually good at psychoanalyzing and that it can form a coherent story out of what is effectively a cheap party trick with no room for nuance or emotional depth. it's ok if you view it as the goofy one off gimmick it is but, it's the quintessential example of silent hill games losing track of basic storytelling. and it's weird that in this alternate universe where none of the hosed up silent hill 1 things happened sam barlow still associates lisa garland with drugs even though lisa garland's drug habit was a result of her being manipulated by an abuser

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont mind that shattered memories does dumb goofy gimmicky stuff gameplay-wise but i think the actual writing is just kind of tasteless and bland in a way that's more annoying than funny and it would just straight up be better without the forced silent hill connections

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
why does shattered memories have a minigame about opening lisa's medicine cabinet and having to pick out the correct drug from the actual literal pile of drugs stacked up in there

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
like again i think what owns about silent hill 3 is that heather as a character constantly makes fun of how weird dudes in silent hill act and the game is pretty much on her side for it in a way that does feel genuine and funny without like, going overboard in a way that feels cheeky. so you hit silent hill origins and suddenly the only way silent hill can look at women is that they're all either psychopaths or have zero initiative and are perpetually tortured

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the single funniest moment in all of silent hill is one guy in homecoming, apropos of nothing, going "YEAH... I HEARD SILENT HILL IS PRETTY SCARY... THERE WAS A POLICE STATION THAT SENT AN OFFICER UP THERE... SHE NEVER CAME BACK... ALL THEY FOUND OF HER... WAS HER MOTORCYCLE..."

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont remember that bit but silent hill 3 is a game about how everyone involved is a little weird and hosed up by what they've been through but heather and the people she cares about are set apart by the fact that they do ultimately manage to get by with that and be decent people anyway so i kinda get it. it's a game with a scene where your only real friend points a gun at you and wonders if shooting you right now would make everything stop faster but ultimately decides not to because that's not something he actually wants to do to you

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
silent hill 3 expanding the cult is something that, out of context i'd say is very questionable but it makes sense why it does it. like you look at homecoming and that game's use of the cult is, people do bad things because the cult is around, and some people are turned evil by joining the cult because those people were always psychos for uh, reasons that i guess just aren't important. silent hill 3 still explicitly takes place in the aftermath of whatever the hell the cult was, they don't really explain what their current deal is and most of what happens is less "the cult" and more the incredibly strange and hosed up people calling themselves part of it who unlike heather and douglas, are functionally incapable of breaking away from all of the horror and tragedy they allow to define their lives, with the villain being a sort of direct parallel to heather in being someone so deeply indoctrinated and obsessed with her past that she has absolutely no idea how to even begin functioning as a normal human being or how to recognize heather as her own distinct person. you also have vincent there as a guy who like, isn't really indoctrinated, but is still so entirely self obsessed that while he's not outright an enemy he is also literally incapable of being a regular person with empathy or understanding of others

i think it's interesting that among all this silent hill 3 is one of the few games that really doesn't have ending variation outside of a specific bad end (and the ufo end obviously), because the definitive end of the game is heather fully embracing herself, breaking free of all of this and breaking down this entire structure that only exists to try and break down her personal identity as a human being

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 2, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the most important thing about ps2 silent hill is how you got a bunch of games with a very distinct direction and tone balancing their ideas pretty expertly, and then on the same engine you get to play firefighter fd18 where uh, things, occur, the filehost i was going to post this on broke so here's an mp4 of fd18 you have to click through for audio

https://i.imgur.com/G2wrscu.mp4

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
highly recommend fd18 if you want a ps2 game about fighting sentient fires that attack you by shooting smaller sentient fires at you, where the main villain is a hacker who's starting fires because he's angry the mayor cheated him on a deal with his Illegal Hardware, and then for the final boss you fight him on top of an oil refinery where he's wearing full fireman gear but he's modified his water hose to shoot fire at you so you can have a fireman rival battle

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

TheWorldsaStage posted:

But does the game have fire in it?

it's inspired by the movie backdraft. what i mean by that is that it has a mechanic where sometimes when you open doors a backdraft comes out and you have to do a qte to dodge the backdraft. whenever this happens your partner loudly shouts "IT'S A BACKDRAFT!"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's a bizarre attempt at making a straight-up arcade style firefighting third person shooter and runs into some expected jank but it honestly does hit a weird sweet spot where it's janky enough to be funny but still enough of a video game to be entertaining to play. and if you find all of the in-game collectables you unlock a skater dude outfit for your firefighter so you can be totally rad while you fight fires, and talk about your trauma over losing your sister in a fire that's driven you to be a firefighter so you can get revenge, against fire

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there is a part at the end where you fight the mayor's bloodthirsty killer bodyguard, by shooting him with water via firefighting equipment. and then the mayor shouts about how you should have killed him when you had the chance because only the strong survive. you rebuke his twisted ideology, and make it clear you would never kill a man with a gun even if given the chance, because you are a fire fighter

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there isnt but every fire has a distinct name and attack pattern and theres a level set in a factory where the fires have taken over the machinery and are shooting out flaming red barrels of fire at you

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i replayed dear esther after i played a machine for pigs to see if dear esther was way dumber than i remembered and was pleasantly surprised that it's, kinda unimpressive but perfectly okay at what it's doing still

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Basic Chunnel posted:

Also people talk mad poo poo abt Sam Barlow in here but as much as AW2 is an open pastiche of Twin Peaks the Return, I don’t believe Remedy would have the stones to go so hard into FMV in pursuit of it, had Barlow not spent the last decade or so rehabilitating it as a thing serious game developers can do. Were it that Remedy were as interested in experimenting with how games actually play.

i just started replaying max payne 1 today and literally one of the first things they do in that game is make a joke with a fake in-universe live action tv show, maybe there's some camaraderie with sam barlow as a fellow horror game dev but i dont think they really needed him to inspire them here

also most corners of the industry that actually care about live action fmv and werent just participating in it as a fad never really stopped doing it in the first place. i feel like ironic fmv games were more of their own brief fad

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'd still argue with the idea sam barlow "rehabilitated" live action fmv, he's a popular dev in the space but the serious live action fmv game space mostly existed before him too

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
bloober games have some okay visuals but their actual writing and scares are not good and they are obsessed with trying to scare you, in the sense that they do not know how to just let things breathe for a bit. observer is definitely one of their better games but also 90% of why is just because of rutger hauer, the actual scares in it are comically bad and the ending is just kind of stupid. they and frictional are kind of polar opposites and honestly if there's any studio i might kinda trust with a silent hill 2 remake it's frictional, just because frictional is way better at letting the atmosphere of their games breathe a bit and writing-wise they're good at doing stuff that avoids feeling too stupid or cheap, pretty character-driven and thematically nuanced in a way none of the bloober games i've looked at are. i don't want bloober team to die or anything but they're a studio that's well into exactly the kind of trashier aspects of horror that i just do not jive with and that silent hill 2 fundamentally is not about, if you asked me who i think should helm a piece of relatively low key psychological horror heavily centered around its exploration of and empathy for a small group of people in a very bad place mentally, i would not say it's the people who made a game where you almost get killed by a giant game of 3d tetris. let them make a nightmare on elm street game or something instead

i do think bloober is a studio that could be good, they're like, halfway to knowing how to make a decent horror game, there's enough there that i get why anyone would get enjoyment out of them. it's just comical how the exact same problems bring down their games every single time

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Nov 5, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
honestly im not that into re7 and 8 because i do actually prefer the more overtly campy stuff of the rest of the series that they're kinda avoiding in these bits, but it's funny that those are two games in the horror game series famously known for turning into shooters about the meatiest heads banding together to punch all zombies and evil manufacturers of zombies into the depths of justice, and both of those games have bits where they largely do the kind of stuff bloober team is going for a lot better. wouldn't say the uh, eve plotline is better written than what you'd see in a bloober game specifically that part is weirdly just as bad and maybe the most actively unpleasant bit of writing in the entire series, but they're better at doing freaky first person horror that's, kind of cheesy and dumb, but paced out and executed well enough that even the dumber scares actually work and don't just feel like the game throwing its fist inches in front of your face and considering it a scare that you blinked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

A Sometimes Food posted:

?

8 was campier than like any RE other than 4. That game introduces the villains to you like they're loving COBRA.

7 and 8 are both campy yes. those are the bits i like. but they've also got bits like the dollhouse and i'm generally not into the more gross out bits of body horror like 7's dinner scene, i like it when it's almost comically framed like ethan getting his hand cut off and going "ahhh poo poo!" but like, the grosser death animations in re have never been my favorite part so i dont actually enjoy it when the games are trying really hard to make you feel uncomfortable, i'm more here for the parts where i wander through creepy locations and then a big monster pops out and my guy is like "whoa! you're a big one!" before i engage in an epic duel with the beast. 7 and 8 have an amount of that but it's mixed in with parts that feel like they're from other horror games that if i really wanted this i'd just be playing those, it's why i'm not really a fan of the first person style much and am way more into stuff like re2make. again none of this is bad mind, it just feels weird cause to me the essence of resident evil is either mapping out a spooky building while tactically dodging monsters or blasting big freaky guys in the face while hearing the worst one liners ever written, makes 7 and 8 ones i dont really feel like replaying over some of the others cause for all the bits of this stuff they do have i know they're gonna have these other bits i'm not as big a fan of

the eveline stuff also just rubs me the wrong way cause for as goofy as re writing gets it doesnt usually get weird in the sense of, there being an emotionally manipulated little girl everyone decides is the cause of all the evil in the world, and we all gotta kill the little bitch to fix it. that's weird. that's weirder on a deeper level than code veronica somehow. not sure how they got there

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 5, 2023