Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Okay Horror games megathread, is DreadOut worth it at $5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I was about to pull the trigger when I read that they stripped high res textures from the game with no word from the devs since. So, screw it.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

PSA, Fatal Frame 5 is out on the 22nd for Wii U.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I'm a fatal frame fan and I found 5 to be very janky and tedious and mediocre. I vote REmake because it's the best game on your list, but it's not very scary.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

DreadOut: Keepers of the Dark is out. Cheap enough that I plunked down on it with the help of some card money. This should be a nice tide-me-over until Nightcry, which looks janky and cheesy in the best possible ways.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Zombie Samurai posted:

Did you like the original DreadOut? I very much did not, but I'm willing to give them another try if Keepers of the Dark is a significant improvement.

It is not an improvement in any way. I got enough enjoyment out of what I paid for DreadOut though.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I'm really excited for Nightcry

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

NightCry feels like the direct successor to the SNES and PS1 Clock Tower games, with all the jank you'd expect from that. Personally I'm loving it, but it's not going to be for most people. It requires a firm affinity for those games.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Zombie Samurai posted:

I started watching an LP of the most recent Fatal Frame, Maiden of Dark Water, and it doesn't look that bad? All the characters look like they just came from a jpop idol concert but other than that the forests are spooky and the WiiU controller camera gimmick is neat. Does it get really lovely later on, or did the fashion mannequin characters turn everyone off that bad?

Meh. It's just really tedious and janky and all around unremarkable compared to the previous entries. It feels like a step down in every way, from the controls to the story to the scares. Hope you like running through the same environments over and over again. I know backtracking was a thing in previous entries, but it's really linear this time around, in that it's like get from point A to point B through these same environments, but this time it's longer! Or this time it's a different character! I just found the whole thing to be a mediocre slog, and that's speaking as a fan of the previous four titles. I'm glad we got it and all, but I couldn't recommend it to anybody in good conscious.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Oh, I meant to come into this thread to bitch about how NightCry is kinda pissing me off with all the random and entirely missable elements necessary to obtain the full length "true" playthrough/ending. Then I remembered the Clock Tower games of old were exactly like that, too.

Plus, this game killed someone with a vending machine AND scared me with an air dryer. I got what I paid for.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I got all the endings in NightCry and I just learned that Vigo's voice actor is Barry loving Burton from the original Resident Evil.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Sea Sponge Run posted:

So how did nightcry end up? Worth the cash?

I enjoyed it, but don't get it unless you love the clock tower games.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Is The Last Door worth picking up?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

GulagDolls posted:

it does have one of the funniest scares of all time

My personal vote goes to this (video timestamped at the relevant part)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmbrEknVZu8&t=215s

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I unironically enjoyed Nightcry, but you have to be expecting another clock tower with all the jank and cheese that entails.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I actually played through Yume Nikki Dream Diary the other day and quite liked it! It's a neat love letter to the original game.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Huh, I had no idea there was a Layers of Fear 2 happening, much less coming out in like a couple days. I enjoyed the first one well enough that I'd be interested in the sequel.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Wow a Dreadout 2 out of nowhere? Not gonna lie, I'd plunk down for it if my PC was still in any condition to play games. I kinda liked the old school jankiness of the first one.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah ammo conservation is as important as ever in RE 7 so uh

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

There’s a new Amnesia coming out. Any indication that it’s going to be good? I didn’t know about it.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

So is Layers of Fear 2 worth a tenner or has it been summarily dismissed as not very good

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

If anyone is interested, the Wii U Fatal Frame is coming out on all of the modern consoles. Cool

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I think the fatal frame games excel at managing a huge sense of dread throughout. On paper the idea of schoolgirls running around taking pictures of ghosts sounds silly, but the execution is super well done.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Dead Space still feels modern enough that a full blown remake already sounds kind of weird on paper.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Mirello posted:

normally this thread gets really popular in october. this year its practically dead. sad

I mean personally I’ll be checking out House of Ashes as well as the remasters of Fatal Frame 5 and Alan Wake, so. Pretty good October for me!

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I mean I’ll go to bat for TEW’s fever dream story and atmosphere but the sequel is functionally better in every other way.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Just finished House of Ashes with all possible survivors on my first go! It was really good, especially in terms of the writing and acting compared to Medan and Little Hope. They’re definitely honing their craft. Not particularly scary, but had its tense moments. Really good looking game. I’ve enjoyed all their output from Until Dawn onwards, so I’m looking forward to even more, especially if the upward trend continues. I felt Little Hope was a step above Medan, and that feels true of this one as well.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The Fatal Frame 5 remaster should be dropping tonight. It’s my least favorite of the series but I am nonetheless looking forward to a revisit with better visuals, performance, and controls. At least I would hope that’s the case given it’s a PS5 version I’ll be playing.

Hell, I’m thrilled the series is getting any attention at all over here, and I hope this release is successful enough to get more.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I must say I’m digging Fatal Frame 5 a lot more this time around on PS5 since it looks and runs way smooth and isn’t confined to the Wii U hardware and controls.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

It definitely benefits from the extra horsepower and no longer being tied to the Wii U tablet. It’s a solid survival horror. I just didn’t like it quite as much as the first four games, but I’m definitely enjoying it more than I did on Wii U.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Max Payne 3 was badass top to bottom and I’d play a remaster in a heartbeat

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Evil Within was wildly uneven at its best, but I feel like most of the malignant reputation it earned was from its technical shortcomings, both on console and PC. It doesn’t feel particularly good to play either. There’s neat ideas, and it effectively manages the feeling of playing through a bad fever dream, but it’s a frustrating experience that’s further let down by the pedigree behind it and the overall jank. 2 lost a lot of the atmosphere, but it’s such a better realized product with a level of polish not present in the original.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Captain Hygiene posted:

Big, uh, statuesque women is absolutely a thing for horny internet artists, there was exactly zero chance that wasn't gonna hit big.

They featured her heavily in the initial marketing and doubled down on it after the, uh, internet response. They knew what they were doing.

For me, I hate linear “run and hide from the bad guy” segments because they drag down subsequent playthroughs so much. RE 2 had this with the Sherry part. House Benviento is super cool the first time and then totally sucks rear end every other time I want to run through the game collecting treasure and upgrading poo poo.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I didn't despise NightCry but that's probably because I didn't back it and I was expecting it to be a really silly and janky game that played like it was decades old. I got entertainment out of it. I'm sure it was the most disappointing thing in the world to Clock Tower fans though. There's certainly nothing to recommend it to people outside of that area of interest, much less people who do like those games.

Hearing Barry's original RE 1 voice actor again was a pretty sweet bonus though.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Nyoro posted:

I'm excited for fatal frame 4

Same

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Condemned was a badass series, although my first one was 2 on PS3 so I probably like it more than people who played 1 first.

The combat felt dangerous and visceral, and the atmosphere and scares were legit. I wish they’d do something with the franchise.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I think the appropriate answer is Castlevania is horror themed. They’re action games though, not scary or anything like the traditional sense of a horror game.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I liked Little Hope better than Man of Medan, but both have lame twists. House of Ashes was good. The Quarry is a super solid Until Dawn successor though. I think the next one sounds interesting too, The Devil in Me, fuckin jump button and inventory and poo poo?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Whaaaaaat no way, you mean to tell me any of that leaked poo poo has been real?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The Dark Pictures games are neat if you like those types of games. They’re shorter than like Until Dawn and The Quarry, with some uneven acting and writing, but they’re fun. You may find the “twist” in one or two of them kinda lame, but I think each one has been better than the last. Again, I think they’re fun little rides.

There’s a new one next month as well that sounds like it’s experimenting with more gameplay elements like inventory and environmental navigation.