Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
I'm still not convinced anything will ever top the Fatal Frame series. The sense of dread, terror, and just overall wrongness I get from playing these games is not something I have experienced in any other form of media, ever. I always try to find videos to prove my point but watching it on youtube just doesn't have the same impact. This, however, might be my favorite reaction video of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXc7lYosiSc

And probably my favorite "ghost music"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGoutoPSshw

Industrial fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jul 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Industrial
May 31, 2001

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I've found that if a game scares you as a child, you will generally carry that fear as an adult. I'm looking at you, Termites in King's Field. Or Krakens in King's Field. Basically every single enemy in King's Field is terrifying to me, except the piranha plants, those just look goofy and make a goofy rear end sound.

I will also maintain a lifelong fear of the spiders in Thief 1 and 2. If I didn't know exactly how to avoid them, the spiders in Resident Evil 2 would also count despite their brief appearance.

I wanna meet the stone-cold motherfucker who does not freak out when first confronted by Crimson Heads in REmake.

Mine carts in King's Field. Such PTSD.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

SkeletonHero posted:

It's Guillermo Del Toro, who wrote and directed The Devil's Backbone, Pan's Labyrinth, and loads of other good horror poo poo, and Mimic. The only other Del Toro I know is Benicio, who is almost strictly an actor.

Unless there's some secret third famous Del Toro I don't know about who specializes in even surreal-er horror.

None of those are really horror movies other than Mimic I guess which was fine for a generic 90s thriller, but nothing special.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

SkeletonHero posted:

The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth are definitely horror movies, they just aren't thrillers. Mimic is absolute garbage and doesn't even approach the lofty heights of "nothing special."

I guess we have way different definitions of horror. Those movies felt more like dark childrens tales to me.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Xenomrph posted:

The Jigsaw Killer from the Saw movies, The Collector from 'The Collector'/'The Collection'.

I haven't seen The Collection so maybe it changes but he sure as hell seemed supernatural in The Collector when he elaborately trapped the entire house in like 5 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Industrial
May 31, 2001

khy posted:

Are there any other good horror games akin to Dead Space 1? Sort of a mixture between horror and action?

Resident Evil never really managed to draw me in, and Silent Hill was never action I thought.

It's pretty old now but try The Suffering for PS2. The gameplay is pure third-person action (think Max Payne) but it has a dead serious pure horror setting and tone. I loved it.