Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
Played Fear & Hunger for the first time today, after logging tons of time in the sequel I figured Spooky Day was a good a time as any to check the first game out. I definitely like Termina more on a gameplay level, but the atmosphere of the first game is pretty killer. Big fan of the sound design and greater usage of creepy sound effects. Paired with the darker aesthetics, I felt a lot more paranoia just exploring in general as opposed to in Termina where my paranoia usually just extended to fighting new enemies that I have no idea what they can do. Pretty close to getting Ending A, I should be able to close out this first playthrough soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I gotta say, as someone who had never heard of Bloober Team until the reveal of the SH2 remake, seeing the collective exasperation the rest of the internet has had to this has been pretty amusing. For my part, the initial reaction I had was "Wow, Bloober Team is a really stupid name for a horror company, that can't be real can it?"

The general vibe I get is that Bloober does horror that does well on mass market with a casual audience, but they do a lot of arrogant posturing about their brand of horror that earns the ire of genre enthusiasts and makes it easy to tear them to shreds online.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

The Colonel posted:

i speak neutrally for the sake of civil conversation however, i do think layers of fear sucks poo poo and they were cowards for removing the funniest scare in the remaster. also that bobvids vid was funny for me cause i never got the chance to actually play pt and thus with a missing piece of my horror game vocabulary was not aware how much layers ripped from it

It's funny you say that, because my sole encounter with Bloober prior to the SH2 reveal when I didn't know their name was seeing Layers of Fear pop up on my Steam home page now and again and thinking "this looks like poo poo" and going about my day.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Probably the hardest thing for me with the RE4 remake is just the general "feel" of the controls, which is why I haven't sat down and given it a full playthrough yet. Everything feels really heavy and sluggish in a way I don't really like. The original's controls are definitely stiff and dated by modern standards, but they're also a lot tighter and more responsive so it feels more right to me as an action game. I probably just need to dedicate to RE4 Remake with an open mind so I can better understand it, but I do think I'll end off preferring the original.

CullenDaGaDee fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 9, 2023

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Finally got a chance to play Lethal Company with a friend and we had a pretty great time with it, wonderful game to play blind and bounce ideas with a friend on what the heck you should be doing. Notable moments were when we got really paranoid about the giant pumpkins on Assurance, since they move when you enter and exit the building and we didn't check the patch notes to see that they were seasonal decorations, and a moment where we got cornered by a giant spider and both elected to just jump to our deaths rather than be eaten by it. The progression in the game is wildly different from what I was expecting, I didn't think the game would have a failure state that essentially sends you to a fresh start. It'll be cool to play around with it more once our other friends pick it up and we can tackle it with a full team.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I forget which game specifically had this, but I will always remember leaving one of the Fatal Frame games running while I quickly went to use the bathroom and then being thrown off when I came back to see my screen covered in bloody hand prints.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Meowywitch posted:

In the first game, yes. The second one is just an artifact title.

It’s very easy to miss, but the sorcerer in the mountains towards the end of the game gives one of the most ham fisted title drops of all time.

D is for Death, the coming fall.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

There's a painful irony that a franchise that is listed as an inspiration for countless modern horror games is now releasing stuff that is horribly derivative of other contemporary horror games when it isn't trying to catch lightning in a bottle by recycling iconic moments from previous entries.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Shattered Memories: It's like a Tiger in space.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Aside from tripping, if your portrait is in the Red you will die should you fail to defend yourself against Scissor Man or any other event that requires Panic mashing. Don’t quote me on this but I think it may also require more mashing to succeed Panic events if your portrait is Red, but I’ve never been sure on that. Jennifer’s condition drains so fast and takes so long to recover that I’d never worry too much about it regardless.

Generally you need to hide from Scissor Man to get him to go away, but there are certain areas he can’t follow you through like the hole in the courtyard wall. Go through these screen transitions, and the chase just ends. Scissor Man only attacks you in specific areas or by taking specific actions, so if you know what you’re doing you only have to deal with him in the very first chase and at the end of the game.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

The idea of a Resident Evil style game with RPG mechanics is at least novel, but Parasite Eve 2 really missed an opportunity to polish a pretty cool system for the time from the previous game. At least replays for higher ranks with different difficulties makes it a little more dynamic than Resident Evil 2 or 3.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

My favorite thing about the Hall of Death is that the name is not hyperbole in or out of universe and you can literally only escape it through death. Thank goodness for 1ups in the Dark World.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I feel it more looks like Sgt Hartman getting in Pyle’s face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Think you'll give Ghost Head/Struggle Within a shot? It's certainly a video game.