Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is there a way to make Undying not look like rear end these days? The last time I tried it on my current PC it was almost unplayable. I have a 750 ti and an i5 4590.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Accordion Man posted:

You talking about the disc version or the GOG version?

The GOG version. I think I tried it with nGlide a month or so ago and everything just looked off. The chances of it being user error are pretty high though because I don't really understand how nGlide's settings work and how they interact with the settings in Undying's config. I have the disc version somewhere too but I'd have to dig out an external optical drive.

Widescreen aside, I couldn't even get it to look right at 1400x1050 on a 1680x1050 monitor.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Accordion Man posted:

4 is far and away the most overrated Silent Hill game. It has some cool ideas but it squanders all of them and its a slog to play.

It's certainly the worst of the Team Silent games but I don't know if it can be considered overrated since I remember tons of people hating it when it came out.

I actually don't think it's that awful but the beginning is annoying and you never really feel like it was worth it to persevere past that. It's still better than every Silent Hill game that came after it.

edit: sup guys

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I didn't really care for Shattered Memories much, but different strokes. I might have a pretty weeb-y affection for the aesthetic of the Team Silent games that stopped me from liking any of the Western ones, which is weird because I don't really feel that way about any other games.

I might also just have bad taste because I thought Homecoming was better than Downpour in some ways.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Older game, but I have to say that Siren: Blood Curse has the -weirdest- save system that I've ever seen. It autosaves based on where you -should- be in the level, not where you actually are.

For an example, I had to find a gun, sound a siren, and shoot a guy as he ran up the stairs. I got the key before I found a gun, so when I hit the siren I wasn't able to kill the guy with just a cleaver. When the game loaded, I found myself back where I found the key, but sporting a shiny new hunting rifle and surrounded by several dead Shibito. I was -supposed- to have killed them and found the gun, so of course that's where I loaded into.

I certainly don't mind in that situation, but in other cases I would load into a point and lose my awesome weapon and get a crappy poker or nothing at all in replacement. It's really bizarre.

There's a lot of weird UI stuff in this game, which I guess isn't surprising since it's pretty early in the PS3's life. I always think about replaying it and then remember that I'm going to have to queue up a bunch of different downloads using the godawful PSN store and I lose interest.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

fennesz posted:

I feel like this is an immensely stupid question but: how well has System Shock 2 aged? If I started my first playthrough of it right now - would it hold up?

If you're playing the GOG one I think it comes with all the patches that let you run it in current resolutions, so you should be good there. Neo Rasa mentioned texture mods which are mostly fine (they just do stuff like the make the in-game computer screens and posters and messages scrawled on the walls in blood not look like poo poo) but I'd stay far away from any of the model replacements like Rebirth. People like to bag on the Titty Midwives in Rebirth, but honestly all the model replacements are really ugly and not as scary as the original low-poly models.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Kokoro Wish posted:

Forget Silent Hill's designs, people should really take more queues from Bloodborne's character designs for horror, as well as world building continuity. Game's a masterclass in Lovecraftian otherworldly styling with themes that carry throughout from beginning to end. And it isn't even really a horror game, but it does a better job at it than any actual horror game I've seen to date.

I'm not very far into Bloodborne yet but I have been really enjoying the monster design. My only quibble is that my brain can only read the bosses I've fought so far as "mass of matted fur" which has been a little disappointing. I'd be shocked though if the game didn't have some huge surprises in store for me boss design-wise.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

OxMan posted:

I wish theyd just adapt mansions of madness or that other board game to a game scenario. Let you fight and kill monsters, but have an insanity meter that fills the longer you take/are fighting. The wasteland 2 engine would be perfect for something like that.

If it was built on Arkham Horror there would be a huge chance that even seeing a monster would send you to the insane asylum, which I'm for.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Bogart posted:

Seeing one monster and having your options reduced to Babbling and Drooling doesn't seem like a very fun video game to me. :v:

Yeah, an RPG would be pretty rough if your healer was always getting lost in space and time.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Quicksilver6 posted:

Me too.

This bugs me a lot as well. “It’s not a REAL Silent Hill” is something that gets said a lot. After a while you wonder what even is the point of having a franchise is if it just inspires contempt for your new products.

I'm probably not the right person to comment on this because I don't hate The Room that much, but I don't think "All the ones made by Team Silent are good, all the ones that aren't are bad" really lets you fairly characterize the reception SH games get as "people love this franchise for some reason even though most of the games are bad!"

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

IShallRiseAgain posted:

As long as Winnie the Pooh and his cronies are running China, it will never see the light of day.

This loving bums me out because I loved Detention. Isn't it enough to just take the Winnie the Pooh joke out?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I have fond memories of a bunch of my friends screaming at me while I was trying to navigate that fog maze in Silent Hill 3 with the non-tank controls so I'd change direction every time the camera cut.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
If by "has disappeared" you mean "has been disappeared."

I really want to play Devotion but it looks like there won't ever be any legal way to do so.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I mashed buy as soon as I saw Devotion was available, I've really felt badly for those devs over the last couple of years.

I am now on a list somewhere to be purged when China subsumes the United States.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I'm replaying RE7 to get ready for 8, and am having a harder time with the shooting than I remember (granted, I first played on release so I don't remember much). I feel like the molded keep juking my headshots in a way that ends up really pissing me off. I turned off camera acceleration to see if that would help my aim but I don't really think it did.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Read After Burning posted:

Excellent, thank you! I actually have the OST on vinyl and love it, so I was curious about the actual game itself. It's only like ~$7 on the eshop right now, so I may as well give it a shot!

Yeah, I'm really hoping this re-ignites interest in the series. Silent Hills and Resident Evils never did too much for me, but Fatal Frame? TERRIFYING.

To this day Fatal Frame 2 is one of only two games that scared me enough to make me go "I think I'm done for today," with the other being RE7 VR. A new one would be cool. Not sure why Fatal Frame was so effective for me, I think I'm just partial to the way Japanese media handles ghosts.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Sakurazuka posted:

They really hammer home 'these people died in horrific ways and now they hate you for being alive'.

Yeah, even the last scene of Kuroneko, which (spoilers just in case) is pretty hokey nowadays with tons of visible wires and stuff made me deeply uncomfortable. Is that movie the genesis of the stereotypical Japanese horror movie ghost or does something predate it?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Some of it might be my brain filling in bits because I love the series so much, but I feel like SH2-4 are also the PS2 games that got hit the least hard by the ugly stick in intervening years. 3 in particular still looks pretty drat good to this day.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
The SH HD Collection is the Maddest About Videogames I've ever been. What a colossal piece of poo poo.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Yardbomb posted:

What's sad too is it was like 100% Konami's fault, they lost or otherwise threw out the original gold masters of 2 and 3, then gave the devs a busted rear end pre-final build to work off of for 2 that had a ton of problems, they'd lost the entire original recordings for 3 which meant they had to "Close enough" remake that entire deal, Guy Cihi wouldn't come back to record as James over some dumb poo poo and got called out over his nonsense, a myriad of other problems that pretty much all came from Konami's side and then to really be the biggest shits, closed Hijinx Studios, the people they'd put this massive burden on, days after release.

It was also a bad look because Tomm Hulett decided that it was smart to constantly engage with fans, which isn't bad in and of itself but he put his foot in his mouth constantly.

If I remember right he first assured everyone that the HD collection was great, then admitted there were problems that would get fixed, and then sort of tried to handwave everything away by saying, "what did you expect us to do, reverse engineer the game from the retail version?!" which turned out to be a really dumb thing to say right when Bluepoint was making a name for themselves by doing exactly that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Siren Blood Curse is sort of an interesting look at that particular time in "our console has its own online store" history-- if you try to play it now it is an absolute bitch because you have to download each episode individually, and there are a lot of them. What a weird game.