Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob
Downpour wasn't great but it had a good atmosphere and some fun exploration. Homecoming just constantly beats you over the head with REMEMBER SILENT HILL:THE MOVIE AND SILENT HILL 2???? lovely rear end combat and story and not a shred of subtlety

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

What SH fans loved about 2: The symbolism, the designs, the ambience, the haunted characters, the subtle sense of dread

Every developer after 4, M. Night Shyamalanishly: How about a shoehorned in twist??

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

I don't hate the way the town looks

I don't trust that they'll have any subtlety or restraint about much else. Unless they're going straight 1:1. But at that point, just rerelease the original? Idk

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

Morpheus posted:

Man, Signalis had a strong start but is really starting to wear on me. I'm currently in chapter 2, I think, running around in Nowhere. Don't have a map, everything is annoying to run through, I have literally seven key items in my inventory box, and every time I run into a room there'll be like, a key item, a healing patch, a handgun bullet, and a bullet for a gun I don't own. All taking up a slot each. I basically run around with the flashlight (which is a required item that need to always be equipped because half the rooms are pitch black - having it need to be equipped is stupid as hell and having it take up an inventory slot is even dumber) and a gun, and I'm constantly filling up, and honestly I'm starting to rethink bringing the gun.

The game has become less about survival horror and more about doing supply runs outside of the save room to collect things until I fill up, then return. This location makes that even worse.

lol yeah the inventory mechanic is fuckin dogshit

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

Read After Burning posted:

Is Fatal Frame 4 (Mask of the Lunar Eclipse) generally considered better than FF5 (Maiden of Black Water)? I'm really only familiar with 1 through 3.

I liked 4. I think its biggest flaw is that it wasn't as scary as 1-3, to me at least. It's pretty solid though. I still haven't finished 5, it's honestly kind of a slog. I got to the next to last chapter I think where you have to do a lot of running around in the pseudo-open world and was like, ehhhhhh

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Oh please play 2 and 1

Rip that bandaid off

It's kind of magic how the OT pulls off such a tense and oppressive atmosphere. I had to put down the first game so many times before I finally beat it. Even years later I still dream about that poo poo sometimes

It's funny cause one of the creators apparently got a lot of the inspiration for the ghosts from dreams and said something to the effect of he wanted them to invade other people's dreams too. Uh, mission accomplished I guess!

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

"The Vision™" is going to be hamfistedly overexplaining the plot/mythology, or recreating the Rogue One Vader scene but with Pyramid Head. Possibly both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

Just snagged it on Amazon for $40 (PS5). It's rough around the edges for sure but it scratches an itch for some slower-paced exploratory horror, and yeah the sound design is rad

edit: The jazzy soundtrack and the mansion give some definite 7th Guest vibes

Dr. Video Games 0135 fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 19, 2024