Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug

Alabaster White posted:

Anyone know some good (preferably jump-scare free) stealth/chasing games ala RE3 or Amnesia? I love games where you have to elude and run from monsters, but most games are either blatantly scripted or it's too easy to dispatch the monster.

There's no combat in Silent Hill Shattered Memories, you have to run from every monster. The game's not perfect but I found it engrossing and the end was touching, judge me however you want :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
I've been playing through Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon on 3DS lately. The controls took me a while to get used to, but what a fun, goofy spookfest. I liked the original Luigi's Mansion on Gamecube but haven't played it in like 10 years, so I forgot all the personality these games have. Luigi is constantly terrified, which is hilarious, and he does a lot of slapstick pratfalls when poo poo goes down. Even then, there are some legit creepy moments. I think this would be a good gateway game for kids or people who aren't necessarily into horror games.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
A page or two ago there was a discussion about how games can create tension, and what stakes there can be, etc.

I've been playing Zombiu lately and I am very impressed with how it creates tension. The premise is that there's been a zombie outbreak (yawn) and you're some random schlub trying to survive. You stumble past a video camera that is being monitored by a guy called The Prepper, who tells you "hey come here, there's a safe house this direction." So you do so, and make your way to a hub area. The Prepper gives you missions over radio and you venture out to advance the plot.

Ammo is not exactly rare, but it's infrequent enough that you need to save it. So you fight melee if you can help it. Every zombie has the ability to one-shot you; fighting two in a close space is extremely dangerous. Fighting a zombie is a slow, brutal battle. It usually takes 4-5 swings of your cricket bat to bring one down, while you pray another one doesn't see the commotion.

The character you play as is semi randomized. If he/she dies, it's a "failed mission" status in that you must start over at the hub...however, the character you were playing as is permanently dead, and you start over as a new schlub The Prepper brought in. You then need to kill the zombie of the previous character to get your stuff back.

It becomes a matter of trying to preserve your character as long as possible. I'm the type of guy that can get attached to my characters and hate to see them die. The game gives them a little personality; as a zombie approaches you can hear your character whimper in fear, and while swinging the cricket bat, they let out desperate, panicked screams. As you use your firearms, you level up in proficiency, but that is unique to that character. If he or she dies, you have to start over from scratch with the next one. So story progress doesn't change, but character ability does.

Last night I was in an area where I had to walk on some board planks over a pit of zombies, who were wandering around in a couple feet of water, so flares and molotovs wouldn't work. You had to walk over the planks and loving pray you don't fall in, or it's curtains. I was pretty drat nervous, let me tell you!

I'm having a lot of fun with the game. There are some really creepy environments that I hate taking my character to, but I gotta to advance the story. So I play through it, have a harrowing experience, and think to my character "Holy poo poo we did it!!! Oh no, we have to go to an even scarier place now! I'm so sorry :("

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug

Len posted:

It also handles bag searching in a neat way. If I'm remembering right the camera points directly towards whatever you're searching and then you have to look away to the tablet to actually see what's in the thing you're searching.

Yep, so you're constantly checking the TV screen as you fiddle with your inventory. Another thing I didn't mention is the game handles sound really well. Your ears can help keep you alive, and of course if you hear something before seeing it, the tension goes up.

As for the exploding zombies, the first one you see is at the dock area (forget the map's name), when you are given the sniper rifle. The first exploding zombie is off in the distance and easily visible, so you are obviously meant to snipe him, see him blow up, and learn he's dangerous. It's not communicated well though, I know when I did that and blew the guy up I didn't know wtf happened, then met the next one in the underground section and got blown up. Yeah I was pissed off...but now that I know how they work, I appreciate the OH poo poo feeling you get when one rounds a corner right in your face. BTW I think they're wearing some kind of oxygen tank, not a rocket lol. Anyway you can still shove them away to make enough distance to shoot them safely.

s.i.r.e. posted:

It's the reason I gave up on the game twice, once on the WiiU and the second time on the PC release:

With the PC release I make It all the way to the end because the game's a lot easier on a keyboard and mouse but towards the end I'm running low on ammo and have to resort to melee attacks to make it through a clusterfuck of an escape sequence with alarms and whatnot going on. I'm pretty sure I was 20 minutes max away from the end of the game. As I'm making my way through all of the non-sense I accidently hit an "explosive" zombie with my melee weapon and it explodes in my face killing me. My new survivor has literally nothing and I can't even make it back to my old corpse because at this point the game world is a maze (it's not open world, think more Resident Evil with linear sections) and the fast travel system is in accessible for some reason. Oh and zombies became horribly abundant. I literally couldn't beat the game.

It's an interesting concept but once it happens to you it's frustrating.

So I can't really speak to this part since I haven't gotten there yet, but don't you have a storage bin at the safe house full of stuff? Can't you just grab like 4 or 5 flares and some weapons you weren't using and make do? My bin is overflowing with molotovs, flares, first aids, guns I don't use, etc.