Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Captain Hygiene posted:

Unironic day one purchase

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c6Yh_zr1ls

Do I have the game for you...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YygSCAAREoE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9gvqrkK2og

Only reason you need to play DBD this summer.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Tired Moritz posted:

People said the fan base is pretty toxic so I might pass :(

There's definitely toxicity but it generally is reserved for the more experienced players and MMR. Just have fun, don't expect to win for a while.

We have a thread for DBD, feel free to come join us

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I was playing DBD every single day at least one match for the daily, while working on the challenges for the battle pass/rift. I had some work stuff come up in late 2022 that prevented me from playing, and I missed out on finishing the pass/rift. I was bummed, but then I realized I'd been playing the game like it was a job and not for fun, so I've been on a break most of the year. I still do enjoy logging in and playing it, but I will agree that if you really want to get everything in it and be competitive with all killers, there's still a ton of grinding needed. It's leagues better than it was this time last year, they made some fantastic QOL changes, but it's not "simple".

It's a lot more fun when I *do* play now that I stopped worrying about FOMO.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I think the difference is that Silent Hill 2 isn't really renowned for being a great game mechanically, it is beloved due to it's dark as gently caress story and the music.

Making the game have a more modern feel is fine, but messing with the story is risky. Most people remember the beats of Resident Evil 2 but expanding it didn't bother us as much.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah Silent Hill remake should really just not be a thing at all at this point. If it's good, cool. It probably won't be though.

I guess my only inclination to defend it is based on the Dead Space Remake devs being largely unproven, they did all of that stuff, and came out proving themselves to just about everyone. So imo I'll just give Bloober the benefit of the doubt until it's confirmed to be bad. Maybe I just pity them because Silent Hill has possibly the most insane fanbase in all of video games.

I just think they should have remade the first one. It has a lot of potential for growth that the second one doesn't. Plus it's graphics absolutely do not hold up.

I'm also spoiled because the fan project Enhanced Edition for SH2 really has done a fantastic job of a remaster for the game

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Make no mistake, the RE4 remake is "more serious" than RE4 OG, but it still has some ridiculousness in it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

al-azad posted:

Blood Omen is 96 cents, the best Zelda game starring a vampire that vortexes blood in his mouth and has a putrefying flesh spell. VAE VICTIS!!

I loved Blood Omen so much. A game where you play as a vampire, and not a good guy vampire? Blew my mind in my youth. I probably would have played it a bunch more but then Symphony of the Night came out a few months later and it blew BO away with vampire gameplay.

Sadly I never got into Soul Reaver, and Blood Omen 2 was disappointing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Instant Grat posted:

It is very easy to either emulate the PS2 version or get the fanmade Enhanced Edition running on PC, and as long as that's the case I'm not that hung up on how the bloobmake turns out

Yeah if Konami would make it so I COULD buy Silent Hill 2 legally I'd have no problem buying it again. Bit since it's practically abandonware I have no problem recommending piracy. It's not hard to find and there's even an Internet archive site you can "borrow" it from.

Enhanced Edition is so good, I tried playing through the PS2 version last year and it just looks so rough compared to the EE. Those guys are doing the Lord's work

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/DeadbyDaylight/status/1686392068242055169?s=20

For anyone that still plays DBD.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I got DBD a little over a week ago and have been putting a shitload of time (and money!) into it since. I haven’t been this into a video game in years. i thought my days of shirking responsibilities to game were behind me and this brought them back in a major way.

Michael Myers gets superpowers from creepily staring at people and breathing heavily, Pinhead drives people insane with chains and the Cube, poo poo like that. you can be Pyramid Head, cover the map in broken glass and force humans to walk through it to rescue their friends from the cage you put them in to think about their sins. you can be Freddy Krueger and show up in unexpected places, send humans to dreamland and chase them while their furniture grabs them and holds em in place. you can kill Nicolas Cage! And you will, a lot of times, if you’re lucky only once a game.

it unfortunately is one of those games where there are 0 places online to read or discuss it. every community discussion is complaining about the devs. you’d think they were ICE camp guards the way people talk about them everywhere. the community threads are useless and every guide is written by an AI so if you want to be decent be prepared to gently caress up your YouTube algorithm or hit up our thread. i hit the highest rank yesterday and got it a little more than a week ago, you can definitely get up to speed quick.

if I mostly gamed with friends I would probably not like it as much since you have to play as the Survivor, but they all play cod and Diablo 4 and Fortnite so I have been a solo gamer of late.

We have a thread for DBD and we'd be happy to give you tips and answer questions.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3935519&pagenumber=457&perpage=40

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Shady Amish Terror posted:

this implies the possibility of stunning a xenomorph by smashing it with a rotten old palette of wood and I find that surprisingly humorous

Not that it wasn't already when people are doing it to, like, cenobites or eight-foot-tall muscle mutants

Don't forget you'll be blinding it with a flashlight too. I always laugh when I get blinded as Pyramid Head, through his giant helmet with no eye holes

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Meowywitch posted:

I'd like to try out dbd but like most multi-player games I am afraid of being viciously torn apart and spitroasted for being bad

Turn off chat and just have fun. You'll lose a lot when you first start out, but after a few hundred hours you'll....well, you'll still lose a lot but hey, you're playing against horror movie villains.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah Dead By Daylight would be gone by now if they hadn't adjusted it so you can play with your friends. I just want them to go all in and give you rewards for doing custom matches for people who want to play with their friend as killer too. As it stands now custom matches can be fun but ultimately pointless if you're trying to progress

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I still overall prefer RE2 remake, the story/puzzles/action is the right mix for me, RE4 is a little too actiony for my tastes.

Still put 160 hours into it

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

MockingQuantum posted:

I actually grabbed the 2 remake on sale a while back, just haven't gotten around to it yet, but I probably will pretty soon here given how solid this one has been.

I think I only ever played through 3 once when I was younger, and remember basically nothing at all about it, so I don't even have nostalgia going for me on that one, I'll likely skip it.

That's good to hear, I could use more puzzles with my action. Also does RE4 give you harder puzzles on the harder difficulties? Something about the puzzle design makes me suspect that's the case.

I really enjoyed RE3 too, to be fair. My stance on it has always been "Fantastic as a sub $15 game/DLC for RE2 but don't compare it to the original".

The puzzles kiiiiind of get harder in the harder modes but it's more like "Instead of the note telling you the time on the clock, it gives you roman numerals to make it harder", or "One more layer of pathing in the island door puzzles". Nothing truly difficult.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

I don't even have a basement :smugdog:

Until that day you notice a mysterious door behind your fridge

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Meowywitch posted:

unpopular opinion: I don't like being chased by dudes constantly, i like to explore the spooky castles at my own pace. it's not less scary for Mr X to be there for me or anything, I just have to kite him around a circle before doing what I actually want in whichever room

Not unpopular at all, my favorite part of Resident Evil games is exploration and puzzle solving. When they get too actiony I don't like it. It's one of the reasons I bust my rear end getting all the unlockables, so when I decide to go through one again I've got infinite ammo ready for me to just mow through everything.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I'm still cranky Code: Veronica got skipped over in the remake parade.

Yeah they're keeping in the main series but man, I hope we get a RE:CV remake before we get a RE5 remake.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

gey muckle mowser posted:

I've never been able to get into the Resident Evil games (or any survival horror really), mostly because I really suck at that kind of combat so when ammo is super limited I always miss a lot and quickly end up screwed. I loved RE7 up until the basement part where you start running into tougher enemies, I'd always use up my ammo on the first one or two and then be left with nothing but a knife to defend myself against all the others. The inventory system also drives me nuts but that wouldn't be a dealbreaker if I wasn't already frustrated with the combat.

I am gonna give the RE4 remake a shot though, I've started the original probably half a dozen times over the years but never got far because the controls felt so terrible to me, but the demo seemed pretty good.

The cool thing about RE7 is that the knife is actually pretty good, and blocking helps a lot. Plus in the basement you can pretty easily avoid most of the enemies, they don't follow you from room to room. The hardest part for me is the boiler room where there's 4 of them and it's tough to weave through them and open the door (using keys in real time is about my least favorite thing about RE7)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Tormented Souls for PS5 is $8.

I still need to finish, it's old school RE for sure.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Watching Dagon on Shudder for the first time and man, the creators of Resident Evil 4 must have been fans of this movie.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Yeah I've heard that before. I picked up Dagon for £1 on DVD to confirm this but haven't got round to it yet.

It's been on my list forever but never had easy access to it, it's on Shudder now so figured it was time

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1694410391441613297?s=20

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Pyrolocutus posted:

Felt like the first one was pretty good on the "RE spirit" front, these days I'm cautious about waiting for reviews but it's definitely on my watchlist.

I still haven't finished it because the limited saves was killing me, but I just saw that there's a debug menu that lets you save anywhere so I might have to go back to it and utilize that. :D

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Instant Grat posted:

The limited saves really aren't a problem unless you do your gaming in 15-minute intervals or have some sort of compulsion that requires you to save after every single enemy you kill. They're a bit sparse in the beginning, but you very quickly start getting more of them than you could ever reasonably spend.

Yeah, I unfortunately have times where my playtime is limited. I lost 1.5 hours worth a while back because I didn't have any ribbons and the power went out. :(

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Instant Grat posted:

That sucks, but thankfully it's the kind of game where you can very quickly get back to where you were as long as you remember what you were doing. Figuring out where to go and messing with the puzzles is the part that takes time, so I'll bet those 1.5 hours wouldn't take more than 20 minutes or so to catch up to if you were to try again.

If you're playing on PC and you really want to not have to worry about it though, the save files are just plain JSON. It's really straightforward to open them up and just change your inventory to have 50 tape reels if you want.

Yeah, but it's even easier to hit END to open the debug menu and save where you're at. :)

oldpainless posted:

If I turn off a game and come back to it and I’ve lost more than like 5 minutes of play time, there’s a very real possibility I’ll never play it again. My time is just too valuable to me. I will simply start another game.

Yep exactly. I have hundreds of untouched games, if I'm pounding my head on one it goes on the backburner.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'm fine with limited save locations (Save rooms in RE) I just don't like limited saves, even if the save item becomes plentiful. Sometimes I'm paranoid as hell and want to save all the time. :D

My Nightmare difficulty RE7 run I think I have like 40 ink ribbons in my vault because I was SUPER stingy with saves there.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

I think my one note on Control was that you can never actually clear the Oldest House of the Hiss, which sure, endless game, but it’s annoying.

By far the best part of Control was the Ashtray Maze near the finale.

Worst part about Control is no NG+ followed by only having a single save slot.

Medullah fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 26, 2023

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Evil Kit posted:

IMO Control is a kind of existential horror to me, but not actually scary for sure. It still has some great settings and haunting moments though.

you should absolutely spoiler this since the discussion on Control started with a person mentioning they dropped it early on lol. That's an experience that should really happen naturally.

Fair enough

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

CDS NUTZ AMIRITE

I'll see myself out

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/1699475101521965284?s=20

It looks.....shooty.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I also once watched a friend do DP and it changed our friendship forever

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Nope, just the one trailer they showed.

I really hope it doesn't suck, but I do not have much optimism for it right now.

Yeah I'm gonna feel bad for them if they really put a lot of effort into it, it has to be the remake that people are angriest about.

I'll buy it just to show support for the franchise, I hope they decide to do SH1. That needs a remake way, way, way more than SH2

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB4RHghEoeU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Just an off topic tip that I recently figured out, SA won't embed x.com links, you have to change the stupid X to Twitter and it'll embed them properly.

At least with my browser.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Bumhead posted:

My dumb rear end was trying to figure that out so appreciate it.

Doesn't appear to have fixed it by editing, though (again, at least on my browser). Thanks, Elon.

Anyway, Bitmap Books have a horror games themed book launching in October. I only own their first person shooter one up to now but it's excellent and very high quality.

It looks good to me! Both the book and the edit. :)

Edit - And yeah, it took me a while to figure out why they weren't embedding. Changing it to www.twitter.com/X doesn't work, but just twitter.com/x works.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Simiain posted:

I did this with Signalis last year, pulled the combat difficulty all the way down so I could sail through it as a vibes game. I have a feeling I missed out on the total Signalis Experience(TM), though, in limiting the tension and dread that derives from its claustrophic and restricted gameplay. Similarly, with the combat difficulty turned down it really does expose how straightforward it is as a fetch puzzle run-around, I never had to worry about how I was going to get from A to B to A and back to B again, nor sit in a safe-room and gee myself up for the gauntlet ahead, and those little periods of worrying and those feelings of apprehension I think are crucial ingredients to this kind of survival horror. That said, I only have so much time these days and one of the strengths of Signalis is that its just as strong as a dreamlike vibes odyssey as it is a mix of survival horror gameplay archetypes and tropes. I loved it.

Maybe I will give Silent Hill 2 a go again.

Highly, highly, highly reccomend if you're going to play SH2 you play the Enhanced Edition fan project. It's insanely good with a ton of work put into it.

https://enhanced.townofsilenthill.com/SH2/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Really impressive project but I played this version and it's basically like removing a layer of grain and grime from the game that originally helped establish the game's atmosphere. It was really never meant to look that sharp or high resolution, despite how much they tried to maintain the aesthetic, I still think the best way to play this game is on a poo poo CRT with a PS2 copy. I also think the game's framing and camerawork was explicitly designed with 4:3 in mind, the composition of a lot of scenes suffered because of this while playing in wide-screen. These games relied a lot on manipulating the camera and showing you exactly what they wanted to be seen, and playing 16:9 undercuts that. Pretty sure you can just pillar box this enhanced version though.

Also I'm not sure if this version has surround sound, one of the most annoying things about SH2 is that the Xbox version had full 5.1 support which was absolutely incredible, but was a very rear end version in many other respects.

I dunno, I played the PS2 version about 15 times through and the Enhanced Edition about 5 times since I found it. I guess if you're a purist stick with the OG but I love the EE, it looks amazing and to me the lack of grain isn't a negative.

Just whatever you do don't play the HD collection on PS3/Xbox 360. :D