Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Deadlight is a fun enough game in terms of gameplay, but it definitely suffers from all the problems you mentioned. The writing in particular, yeesh. The voice acting is pretty weak too, but there's only so much they could do with that script. "Ungh! My head! It hurts so much to think about my family!"

I also ran into the same bug multiple times, where I somehow reached the end of the world because it didn't load the whole map space, and then I'd have to turn around and get eaten. Otherwise it was fun, and I like the 1980s Seattle setting. If you didn't catch it, there's a running gag about a hair metal band called Raven Thunder that shows up every once in a while. If you're thorough you can find three old-rear end Tiger handheld games too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

One thing I really like about the screenshots I'm seeing is that it's actually using darkness, and not just "muddied shades of dark purple/brown/grey and where the hell is that light coming from". Too many games (and cinema for that matter) just don't use shadow anymore.

al-azad posted:

When Catherine was announced nobody really knew what to make of it. Years after its release I still don't know what to make of it. At its heart is a puzzle game where you climb a tower of shifting blocks. But like Persona 3 and 4 it's framed around a social meta-game that's arguably its greatest strength. At its simplest, Catherine is about a curse that targets men forcing them to climb for their lives in a hellish nightmare every night. After every night you speak with your friends in a bar, interact with the various customers who all have their own issues, and get funny beer trivia by getting wasted.

It's also got a goddamn analingus monster boss because why not.

woodenchicken posted:

It seems that Gog is giving away AvP2000 for free if you sign up to test their multiplayer service thingy (by playing AvP2000)

Speaking of aliens, Alien: Isolation is the first legit scary game I've experienced in years. Haven't freaked out this hard in a long while. Kinda impressive how they achieve it purely through clever gameplay design, considering how stale the monster and the setting are in TYOOL.

Playing a bit of Alien: Isolation really makes me want a Predator game set in the jungle in the same tone, where it's hunting you. I hope that comes next.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

al-azad posted:

Take Silent Hill 2. The game communicates to you what James did to his wife but weaves his sexual frustration into context clues in the way the nurses are scantily dressed and how off Maria looks (and of course pyramid head, uh, "strangling" mannequins). And then you have Angela and the abstract daddy which is really direct but her thick clothing and nervous reactions also hint at an abused past. All that without strapping her down on a table and having a monster gyrate above her or whatever cheap scares they could have shoved in the game.

Yeah, this. If you're going to go on about how sexual violence is used in video games, you have to give credit to one that presented it so effectively. The stuff in the Outlast DLC is exploitative horror, which has a time and place if you do it well and are presenting a message, like in the '70s as a counterculture movement. But nowadays a lot of exploitation horror is just shock and grimdark for the sake of shock and grimdark, which I have absolutely no problem categorizing into a lower tier of entertainment value.

poptart_fairy posted:

A one hit kill enemy which is heavily telegraphed and can be dealt with using the environment.

I don't think goons really seem to get the Evil Within.

Isn't this also literally the entire crux of Alien: Isolation's horror?