Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the gulper caper
Feb 22, 2004
tastes like candy

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Outlast had a bunch of what I considered jump scares that worked for the game. Especially the first couple, going into the library and having the body swing in front of your face while a super loud noise plays. That one was definitely a jump scare, although you knew something was going to happen, the suddenness of it and the fact that there's no actual danger (yet) puts it in that category. And then right after that, as you squeeze through the narrow opening in the hallway, you get grabbed by the big Sergeant whats his name guy and thrown down to the bottom floor. That one is also unexpected and suddenly thrusts you into a whole new, unknown area of the hospital, which I found really terrifying. The jump scares in general worked really well on me, there's tons of scripting but it's well orchestrated and spaced out pretty well too.

This was the most unbearable part of the game for me. I waited in the lobby for a minute or two until I realized I couldn't handle any more and had to quit. It took me watching someone playing through to the Cell Block before I was confident enough to go back and finish the game. I ended up breezing through the rest because nothing else came close to matching that sequence for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU