Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

They really should put that first Blair Witch game on steam, it's pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I wanted to love Stasis but the poor animation, awkward environment interaction and lack of scrolling environments really got to me. It just feels so static.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Play it instead of TDD, which stops being scary about 2 hours in and then wears the gently caress out of its welcome

:siren: WRONG OPINION ALERT:siren:

TDD is fantastic and pretty much defined the modern horror genre. It definitely does not stop being scary 2 hours in, it's very well paced. Try it for yourself and see!

Plus SOMA is very heavily iterative on TDD's design, playing the earlier game will help you appreciate the newer one.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Relin posted:

these puzzles in cayne are terrible

Stasis was godawful and I am probably the biggest stan for what its trying to sell. I love isometric games, horror games, and point and click adventures, and I couldn't get through more than 2/3rds of that dreck.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

MockingQuantum posted:

So I just gave Stories Untold a spin, and while the concept is cool and the stories seem fairly interesting, the text parser is god-awful. I gave up after a while because it didn't recognize any common text parser commands and gives you almost no indication of what the hell you're trying to do. If anyone is on the fence about this one, I'd say skip it or find an LP once they start showing up. It's pretty painful to play. Also the text speed in A House Abandoned is painfully slow. I was really hoping this one would be much better than it is, but it feels like they didn't do any user testing for the game.

It's clear they've never actually played a text adventure, they just think the concept is retro cool. Pair that with the hackneyed Stranger Things ripoff aesthetic and I find it hard to get excited about this game. The glowing reviews just make me think there's a desperate need for atmospheric video games that aren't walking simulators.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Kokoro Wish posted:

Most of the people playing Untold Stories have never played a text adventure, and just look at this as a retro cool thing. It's like the single button apple mouse. It makes no sense to those used to how the systems have worked before, but to newcomers it's more intuitive.

Eh. I guess it's true that newcomers won't know what they're missing, but there's no way it's more intuitive. A guessing game to find the right sentence is way less accessible than just "type what you want the character to do".

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Combat in horror games like SH2 feels to me like the drumbeat of a pop song. It's repetitive and sorta fades into the background but it's crucial to keep you constantly engaged and the relative constancy helps the big "solo" moments stand out more.

It worked in SH2. They needed to switch the beat up in Outlast, really dragged by the end of the track.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

All of Troika's games were huge development messes and Bloodlines wasn't helped by them using an alpha version of Source that Valve gave them no help with.

And yet somehow each game was still amazing. Imagine if they'd been made with a non-dysfuctional development process.

I wish Arkane would hurry up and make Bloodlines 2 instead of doing a sci-fi remix of Dishonored.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

The ending to INSIDE was masterful. Had me on the loving floor. I know a lot of gamers didn't like it because a lot of gamers are completely unfamiliar with abstraction or ambiguity and they also tend to hate things they're unfamiliar with.

Is the Little Nightmares ending really comparable? Or is just also abstract and ambiguous? Because if it's anything near the quality of INSIDE I might have to play it sooner than I thought.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Bogart posted:

Yup, that's why, because you're the refined elite of gaming, congratulations, the black husserl. Truly, nobody can compare to you, the arbiter of taste. Oh, Braid? Goes wonderful with a Chianti. This pretension gets us nowhere.

Come on dude, everybody knows the ideal pairing for Braid is a Malbec.

I played Little Nightmares and it was good but felt exactly like playing a photocopy of INSIDE, with all the diminishing returns you'd imagine. I feel bad for Tarsus if they weren't seriously influenced by Playdead because they got scooped.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Relin posted:

the moment when one of the possessed farmers yells out several lines about cow statistics is one of the hardest laughs i've had with a game

The game manages to perfectly hit that Stephen King zone between utterly stupid and absurd and actually kinda spooky, its p dope

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Crabtree posted:

Are there any horror games that just go as far as they can into the realm of the bizarre that they actually work in becoming uncomfortable by sheer strangeness?

It's been mentioned in this thread a bunch before, but LSD (the game) is pretty much exactly what you're describing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol4OSIGGukA

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Skyscraper posted:

I think there might also have been some legal meddling by someone with the rights to Twin Peaks, the game in the previews was a very different game.

The game we got was great but it was a compromised and hastily stitched-together version of the original vision. The game was actually supposed to be "Rainy Woods" and just 100% be a Japanese Twin Peaks simulator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbbhwO7pRHA

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Just like "The Thing", someone really needs to remake AITD 2008 now that technology can actually live up to its ambitions. Frictional would be a perfect developer.

I want to smash a chair and light the broken leg on fire to make an improvised torch. Give me that please.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

al-azad posted:

I would argue that Alan Wake was the proper execution, or at least a good base for it. The original design documents for it make it out to be almost an adventure game with combat segments.

No way. I really liked Alan Wake, but you couldn't smash a chair and improvise a torch from it. I won't rest until I'm stabbing ghoulies with systems-driven improvised weapons :colbert:

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I can't understand the point of a game like Scorn. It's basically a Rick & Morty one-off joke ("everything's a croenenberg in this world!!") played completely straight. Giger/Croenenberg stuff is horrifying because it contrasts with the actual real world. A diseased and perverted body is scary because it contrasts with a healthy body, the alien is scary because it's so different from the pale weak humans, etc. If everything on this planet is a creepy flesh monstrosity, then what exactly am I being scared of? "Alien" would have lost a lot of its power if its titular horror was just slaughtering other gross aliens on a gross alien ship.

And even if you find the FLESH WORLD stuff inherently scary just on a visual level, certainly you'll be oversaturated with an entire game of it? Feels like way too much to sustain anything more than a couple hours of interest.

the black husserl fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 11, 2017

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Night10194 posted:

Part of why it worked in Silent Hill was that you went back to a rundown but 'normal'-ish world that was just foggy and spooky in between the rusty chainlink blood soaked industrial hellscapes.

I mean, we could list examples all day long because literally every other creative work that deals with Horror knows that you need to juxtapose it with some degree of normalcy/humanity.

Scorn and Agony are the first examples of longform creative work in any medium I've ever seen that doesn't acknowledge this basic fact. That's why I say it's like Rick & Morty, it really does feel like a joke.

If the idea is just to go for "weird inhuman world" then I think Icepick Lodge stuff like The Void did it way better than what I've seen of Scorn. Who knows though, maybe Scorn has something really compelling up its sleeve. Agony is confirmed total garbage though, doesn't give me much hope.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Jukebox Hero posted:

Lol there's like one trailer afaik, where are you getting all these details

Please show me the new trailers that show you the game enough for you to reduce it to "It's like a one-off Rick and Morty joke played completely straight" without that being a borderline nonsense comparison(it's based on Giger, not Cronenberg, even)

Uh, that FLESH GUN is totally ripped from eXistenZ, which was directed by...David Cronenberg. Scorn is clearly influenced by his work on a lot of levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQKkCMDaN54

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I go hard for Sylvio. That's one of the best horror games in the past 5 years IMHO, you just gotta deal with a little bit of Classic PC Game Jank.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Would someone mind summing up what has changed in Hello Neighbor? I was really looking forward to it and it's hard for me to watch talking head streamers.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

We Happy Few has improved majorly since its underwhelming Alpha 1 and it's one of the most frequently updated/transparent Early Access games out there. Check the steam reviews, the game has made great strides and people are really happy with it.

Hello Neighbor looks like a mess. Too bad, it was a great concept.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I'm trying to avoid spoilers so I can't really read some of the previous posts, but as someone who didn't play Layers of Fear and is playing Observer for the first time, it is definitely NOT a walking simulator. It's an adventure game. There is lots of interactivity, crime scene investigation, finding secret panels, etc.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

hanales posted:

I actually did this last night. I guess this would be a walking simulator?

I enjoyed it, and the story, I don't know if I find the gameplay style engaging enough to do it again. Neat story though.

It's just a genre distinction, but not at all. Walking Simulators are first-person games with zero puzzles or combat, and typically feature completely minimal player interaction besides walking, if any at all. Dialogue choices alone are enough to take this game out of the walking simulator category.

Oxenfree is a nonstandard point and click adventure game. If you thought the gameplay wasn't engaging enough, I think you would hate an actual walking simulator.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Why don't horror game developers make their monsters like this??

You have all the power of a computing engine to do insane surreal poo poo, but every single game developer just makes something that could have been accomplished with sculpture or practical effects IRL back in the 70s. Every single videogame monster is just the wolfman or Giger done in CGI. Lovecraftian game developers: instead of hooded cultists, put these dudes into your game.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Fhqwhgads posted:

I picked up imscared based on this thread thinking I'd enjoy it. Noped the gently caress out after the game's first scare.

It sounds objectively dumb I know, but computers or electronics in general not behaving the way they're supposed to elicits probably the closest thing to actual terror I've felt. Even if it's only for a second before my brain kicks in and understands what's going on. Like even if my computer bluescreens, there's at least a split second of actual fear. It's hard to describe. I mean jump scares are jump scares. You yell, it gets you, you move on.

I think it has something to do with me growing up with a C64 and the way that 5.25" drive would grind if you entered a wrong command or didn't have a disk inserted.

I get the same feeling, but for me the trigger is "falling through the level". Actual, legit, nasty-smelling-sweat-dripping fear. If someone was to design a horror game around that sensation, I would be sincerely unable to play it.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Crabtree posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the Black Mirror video games? Because the upcoming Remake(?) has me interested.

Are you a point-and-click-adventure game stan? Trust me, you know if you are. If so - you'll like Black Mirror.

If not, you'll absolutely loving hate it.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Maybe YouTube shouldn't be the only thing to depend on for income, given how YouTube's monetization policies constantly shift.

It's kind of sucky when the games you hear about just come down to market forces, whether it's a paid journalist or a paid youtuber.

Rock Paper Shotgun has great horror games coverage and will never accept money for editorial. You can hear about games there, instead of from the Screaming Youtube Man.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Relin posted:

this corn field bit with the copters overhead in observer sure does suck poo poo

I really liked the atmosphere and environment but I lost all desire to play after I got chased by a random monster in a random hallucination where i couldn't see poo poo.

Does that keep happening?

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

A horror game that intentionally tries to kill you with misleading tutorials and UI prompts would be awesome. I'm thinking Eternal Darkness 2.0.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Blattdorf posted:

The Sick Land was an excellent read and I'm wondering if anyone can point in the direction of more stuff like it.

Might as well start with the grandaddy of them all, Roadside Picnic. Most of the Ted the Caver-style web fiction is just a shameless ripoff of ideas that the OG book does way better.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Ya'll, the Machine for Pigs was the brutal world wars and holocausts of the 20th century. It was a metaphor :colbert:

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Yeah I don't think anyone was at risk of not getting the point

Indeed. Say what you will about World War 2, at least it wasn't as sloppy and unfinished as the final act of A Machine For Pigs.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I also think people are way too harsh on AMFP. It didn't really follow through but the atmosphere and storyline ya'll mention was great. It wasn't corny PORK PORK PORK stuff, the Machine was genuinely unnerving.

I mean, I like it better than Observer and Layers of Fear at least.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

goferchan posted:

I want to play this. Hoping for Cthulhu Deus Ex

The godawful voice acting (and pretty bad writing) is enough to sink it for me in its current state. Really hope they re-record some of those lines. The way the PC says "killer whales" makes him sound more alien than the fishpeople.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Jukebox Hero posted:

I'd say they're more like lovecraft fans. There's a lot of horror to be had in struggling to survive in a setting that rapidly seems to actively want you to die.

Not even. It's 100% creepypasta "hyper realistic skeletons repeating my IRL name!!" stuff.

I would love a slice-of-life game with subtle horror elements but this seems more like the deep lore youtube bait kind of thing. Kinda the opposite of horror since its all about sharing a "secret" with your friends.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Yeah, its Gleaner Heights that looks like a "deep lore" cash grab. Ripping off the art assets and UI from Stardew doesn't exactly fill me with confidence...

It was FNAF that started this whole mutation of the horror genre, right? It already ruined one game's design (Hello Neighbor). Really hope it doesn't catch on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Hunt has amazing atmosphere and environment design. Pity they wasted it on a multiplayer game where absolutely nobody will pay attention to it. Same for the horror elements.