Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah I definitely found bits of half life 2 and episodes spooky and downright startling at times. Ravenholme obviously, the whole car/beach area was bleak and eerie, the idea of stalkers is horrifying.

I also hate grubs/maggots so the ant lion caves and advisors in episode 2 grossed me the gently caress out. Was looking forward to killing them in episode 3 but we all know how that's turned out so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So how much game is there in Darkwood? Looks and sounds cool but not sure how much I'll get out of it with the early access thing. Tried to avoid too much information so not even sure if it's an actual plot based game or more free form "trundle around until you die" kinda thing.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Two things I found really annoying about Ghost Master was the lack of being able to save (not a problem in the early levels but a massive one in the loving massive and long later ones) and the fact that replaying the old levels was framed as you going back in time so they didn't let you use any new ghosts you'd unlocked in subsequent levels. Luckily there's a mod that addresses the latter problem but the lack of saving can really suck.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Has anyone played The Forgotten Ones? It's on my Steam recommended list but I can't find much about it, looks somewhat interesting but I don't really want to take the plunge.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Fojar38 posted:

Is there any well known slasher villain who isn't supernatural? Jason Voorhees and Freddy Krueger are both supernatural. I guess Michael Myers isn't?

Nah he totally is, he comes back from absolutely ridiculous injuries. I guess the scream killer if he counts (though obviously it's a different one in each film).

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
If I recall the free version doesn't work because it gets ads from servers that don't exist anymore. It is a really good game though.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Wait, am I understanding this right?So even though it's on my PS4 right now it'll eventually be removed from there and I won't be able to play it ever again? I figured it was like the previous gen when rights issues meant dlc got taken down or whatever, you couldn't buy it but if you had it you could redownload it fine.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Mindblast posted:

So what you guys are saying is that the first three silent hill games were less than they could have been because the protagonists spoke.

They didn't speak in gameplay though, only cutscenes (I think) and those are kinda different games to a first person horror game anyway.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Haha, lady who made Spookys House of Jump Scares just randomly asked her lawyer where the IP rights were and they were just up for grabs. That's pretty great. Wish things were so easy for No One Lives Forever or all those other games stuck in IP hell.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

Why hasn't there been a game similar to Cabin in the Woods? The closest thing I can think of is Ghost Master, but that was.. <googles> christ, 2003?

I was thinking about that game the other day as well and yeah looking up how long ago it came out was quite, quite depressing.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I bet a Resident Evil sequel based on 7 will try and incorporate some of the stuff from 1 and 2 that they might have felt were a bit riskier or might alienate people, beyond the first person perspective and more horror focused nature. Two or more playable characters with an interconnected campaign could be pretty cool, like in 2 where stuff you picked up as Leon would be missing in the Claire playthrough on the same save but even more impactful.

Maybe something like, you pick who you play as and go in with them first, on a pretty standard Resident Evil mission with it being a deteriorating situation and items being relatively plentiful. Then something goes wrong and you have to pick the second and third to go in to the same area but much worse a few days later for a rescue mission.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah, you could have a Herbert West style neighbour, weird poo poo going on in the woods, meteors delivering extra weirdness to the town. I can definitely see potential for a spooky Harvest Moon/town simulator game that steadily gets weirder and creepier the longer you play.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Which Fatal Frame would be the best to get as the standout of the series (I assume there's probably a bunch of dissent on this point but generally there's probably one)? It was a series I always meant to get into but never did and I want to rectify that this October I think.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

Personal taste varies, but on the whole, Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly is usually either named as the top title in the series or at least as sharing first place with whatever other title someone liked best. The plot is repetitive, but the gameplay itself, the ghosts and the puzzles aren't. All Gods' Village is in my opinion the best game locale because it gives you space to run around outside and explore more than just one big, claustrophobic mansion. It feels more like a place where people actually lived once.

Also, I think the Kusabi is probably the spookiest of the sacrifice spirits.

Thanks for the answers folks, I think I'll go with 2 since that seems to be the consensus. The PSN version is fine right?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

Of the original Condemned, I really only thought the puppet factory was scary, per se. The rest is grungy and visceral as all get-out, great atmosphere, but a bit too fast-paced and heavy on the action to really let that oppressive horror-type sense of anxiety grow for me.

And, of course, once you get to the Super Saiyan shouting powers, all bets are off.

Both those things were Condemned 2. Condemned 1 didn't have super powers (beyond like, the usual videogame resistance to damage and being able to heal using painkillers) or a puppet factory.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
What are the expectations for Call of Cthulhu next week? Not seeing much about it in terms of previews/videos etc but what is out looks alright. Dev hasn't ever made a horror game before it looks like but that doesn't mean much really.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Too Shy Guy posted:

I actually have press access for this right now, but everything is embargoed until launch on the 30th which is why you're not seeing much coverage. I'll have a review of it to share on the day of or the day after, at least.

I assumed it'd be embargoed but usually there's a little more out there for a game this close to release than just a couple trailers. Will look forward to your impressions, I've bought two of the games in your big halloween playthrough list and enjoyed them.

al-azad posted:

I'm on the fence. I like that they're going for more of an adventure game direction but the adventure aspects look as complex as Murdered: Soul Suspect which is to say you click on all highlighted objects until you have enough to move the story along. The thing I'm holding out for is that they're basing the game on the tabletop RPG rules which means it should be a little more robust than candid interactions and the environments look decently large to reward exploration.

I'm definitely not rushing to spend $60 but I'll get it at the inevitable holiday sale.

It's pretty cheap on Steam in the UK so if it sounds even slightly good I'll probably grab it as a halloween game. Spent more on less interesting games (potentially, obviously, could be complete poo poo).

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Sounds like Call of Cthulhu is 3 hours of good investigative stuff, a bit of scripted cultist chases and the like and then a fair amount of half baked stealth gameplay. Even the positive reviews read pretty mixed so unless I see some really positive stuff from an outlet or personality I trust I'll probably give it a miss I guess. Got Hitman 2 and the Warhammer DLC coming out in a couple weeks and Red Dead still in the hopper so any excuse to save some money is well appreciated. A shame, I was in the mood for something spooky but a bit more substantial than the indie horror stuff.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Mr. Fortitude posted:

A lot of people have been kicking up a fuss because Devil May Cry 5 was reported to be about 15 hours long and that's apparently too short even though it's probably the longest a Devil May Cry game has ever been.

Pretty sure REmake 2 would be crucified if it were the same length as the original RE 2, nevermind the zapping system. Which is a shame because I want to know where people find the time for all these 50+ hour long games nowadays.

I dunno, game length used to be this big thing back in the day (like they'd say each Final Fantasy would take over 100 hours to beat or whatever) but I feel like the only people that care about that now are youtube opinion people. The average person who just buys game and plays them doesn't seem to care if something is 6 hours or 50 hours really as long as what is there feels good. Same for reviewers mainly, RE7 certainly didn't suffer in terms of reviews I think for it's relative brevity.

As for me RE2 felt pretty long when it first came out, I was ten so obviously not particularly great at games but I think it took me around 6 or 7 hours back then for each character. Then as I played it more I got down to the sorts of times you need to get the good ranks. Obviously yeah people who play/stream a shitload of videogames see them off pretty quickly but the average person probably takes like a week or more of playing off and on to finish most games.

I'm expecting the initial playthrough of the 2 remake for Leon/Claire to take around 5-6 hours each (gonna play on hard initially just because decent horror games are pretty rare) and there's a bunch of achievements that'll I'll try and get as well, hopefully some cool secret poo poo. That seems pretty reasonable to me, RE7 I beat in 6 hours but the last 3rd was pretty mediocre and I still felt pretty good about the purchase based on the rest of the game.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
What's the problem though? Not like assuming something is a piece of poo poo before it comes out has any bearing on anything since once it's out and is getting evaluated on what it actually is people can reassess whether they want it or not.

Like with Doom, it's pretty widely acknowledged they did that game a disservice by showing off barely any normal gameplay footage, focusing on the multiplayer and Bethesda had that thing where they didn't send out review copies so it only blew up when it was out and people were like "oh this is actually loving great" but if a company is showing off bad footage or less interesting parts of the game then it's their fault if people draw conclusions based on that.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Has Devotion been taken down from Steam? Looking for it all I can find is the "digital deluxe bundle" which is £4.31 and under contents only has the soundtrack? There's nothing on the store that has a description of an actual game, pretty sure it was like £15 as well.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
That Devotion game is probably never going to see the light of day again is it? It's been over two months since they took it down, can't imagine a relatively small dev can handle losing the ability to sell a game they've spent a significant amount of money developing for that long. That's a bummer, literally went to buy it after reading a review on the day it got taken down. Must have been a couple hours too late.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

megalodong posted:

https://twitter.com/DaftLimmy/status/1232589441409130497

hmm yes indeed

e: cuts off the image, the dev reply is below the creepy "old guy should have gotten laid" tweet

Oh god I thought the comment in the cut off image was bad enough. Then the reply is just.....jesus christ.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So apparently Devotion, the game that got taken off of Steam is getting a physical release in Taiwan so maybe there's some forward movement on it that may wind up with it being actually rereleased in other countries on Steam at some point. Hope so.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Has anyone played Deadly Premonition 2 yet? I don't have time to play it right now, so I'd like to at least like to hear what other people who've played it think.

It's out on Friday and I think the embargo is up tomorrow so there'll probably be a lot of opinions being shared on the internet then.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Something like Condemned would really hit the spot for me, pretty decent, satisfying and fun combat in a variety of grimy as gently caress locations with a completely bonkers story that is just an excuse to go to aforementioned locations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
That 10 minute demo of Ghostwire Tokyo was..... odd. Like a weird, quite slow, open world first person horror game? The combat looks quite ponderous and strange but not necessarily bad.

I don't think it sold me entirely on the game but I'm at least interested, it looks like the oddest "big" game I've seen in awhile.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 4, 2022

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Combat looked kinda slow. Maybe they just wanted to show it off visually but there was a whole lot of handwaving without really doing anything.

Yeah it's hard to tell if that's your typical "we're not sure how to present this in a PR demo" thing where when you're actually playing, you'll do it way faster or if it just like that.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Longshot here but does anyone remember an indie horror game getting announced where you played as a city? I think the premise was you were given sentience because of a weird presence or a cult or something and you were basically like, manipulating the streets and alleys at night or when people weren't around to make them go certain places and potentially be killed either by the cult or maybe by you, like a tunnel might be one of your many mouths or whatever. Looked vaguely simmy, might have been sepia toned or black and white in the one or two screen shots.

I remember reading an article about its announcement and it had a couple screenshots but this would have been years ago, I assume it's just vaporware at this point since games will come out and not hit but usually I'll still hear about them at some point. Not being able to find the name is driving me a little crazy though and googling "horror game where you play as a city" just brings up stuff like the Sinking City cause it has the word city in it.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Len posted:

There were rumors a sequel was in development last year but that's probably just Twitter making poo poo up again

They have occasionally put up job postings for people with experience in designing FPS games or artists with sci-fi experience and such but it's been on and off again for years so people are unsure if it's an Alien Isolation thing or some other thing, some rumors they want to try and jump on the live service bandwagon so could be that if true also.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Anyone else kinda hyped for Gloomwood? I played the demo last night and did the thing where I stopped playing it after half an hour cause I knew I'd want to play the game at that point, apparently it's a separate thing and not the start of the game anyway though.

Only concern is it's coming out in early access and they haven't got that little info table on the store page that says what exactly the early access release consists of, if it's just gonna be the first third of the game I'll probably wait and just play through it all when it's all out.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Nah they're still around in Code Veronica too, Claire gets caught infiltrating one of their office buildings (alone for some reason) and they rake the entire building with helicopter mounted minigun fire and get like 30 of their own guys killed to catch her and then throw her into a secret island prison. So they're still enough of a company to have office buildings and secret island prisons at least.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Don't know if there's much interest in it but just my two cents for anyone potentially looking at buying the early access of Gloomwood, I'd recommend waiting til it's more finished. What's there is a good basis for one of those games in the future (sort of a thief game with more survival horror elements and a slightly more open experience rather than level based) but if what is eventually the full game has the same opening you may as well wait to play it rather than playing this massively compromised version.

The demo was a better experience than the early access version imo but they've removed the demo now which is a weird decision.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The way they started fighting amongst themselves if they accidentally hit one another or you could pull the weapon out of their hand while they were stunned and then hit them with it was really cool as well. Always a shame when mechanics like that just fall by the wayside and you barely ever see them again.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
If anyone wants a decent little shooter with horror elements, Cultic just came out, I believe it'd qualify as a boomer shooter and is pretty drat good. Really frenetic, bloody combat against cultists which seems like it's going to escalate based on the first level.

It's technically early access but right now it costs about £8 and it's got 10 fully done levels with an ending right now and he's going to add that many again and the first one I did last night took me about 40 minutes going slow and searching for secrets. It's also got a seperate survival mode I've not played yet. It's got good reviews on various sites as well.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
This Signalis game seems to be getting pretty drat good reviews. One review said it took them around 9 hours so substantial even if the average player is faster than that. Sounds somewhat like an old school Resident Evil with a focus on inventory management, puzzles and a lack of ammo. You seem to be playing as a robot so I don't think it'll turn out to be depression or that you killed a loved one either.

Some of the reviews have given a little bit of info about its inspirations story/setting wise, I'll put in spoilers just cause I might have preferred not to be aware although I suspect the game will give it away, apparently it's heavily inspired by the King in Yellow/Carcosa story/setting.

It's on Gamepass apparently so probably worth a punt if you're in the mood for a horror game.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah I finished Cultic the other night and really enjoyed it. Very much felt like I got my moneys worth, it felt like a full game as it was but apparently the dev is going to add another chunk of levels of comparable size.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
They are sometimes on Gamepass and the slightly less good Playstation equivalent if you already sub to those or they have been in the past, no idea if games come back onto it after having left but could be a way to play them without committing.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
They both came out the same year but yeah I think it's the same case for both of them, if it were going to happen it would have done by now. Until Dawn was published by Sony and they heavily funded it I think but the development was a bit tortured from what I recall, it was going to be a late stage PS3 game originally? So now that Supermassive are not exclusively working with Sony there's probably a lack of will on either parties part to do anything with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I like the Suffering quite a bit from that era. Dunno how it'd feel these days.