Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"
I just played through and "beat" Knock Knock. It's not really as scary as some of the other entries in this thread, but I like the atmosphere it builds and the sound work is top notch. The game is built like sleep-over/rite of passage style games kids play at sleepovers, like Bloody Mary or One Person Hide and Seek, so if you're interested in sorta urban legend, folklore-y stuff, it might be up your alley.

Also, much like those games, a big part of Knock Knock is "learning the rules." The game throws a lot of confusing and contradictory directions at you, encouraging exploration, but also to just kind of lose yourself in the weirdness of it. I got it for $2 during GoG's summer sale, and I'd recommend it at that price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

Tracula posted:

I admit to being a spergy poo poo here but I just detest the idea of the Isolation protagonist being Ripley's daughter. I want us to get the gently caress away from Alien/s and do something different for once. This doesn't just go for Alien games but pretty loving much all of sci-fi.

If I might get counter-spergy:

I agree with you, but you know if they made an alien game with a female protagonist that a sizable portion of the fans would bitch that it wasn't Ripley's daughter. As long as they do something half-way original and interesting with the story, I'm willing to put up with the the goofy desire to make it "cannon."

On topic: I've had Lone Survivor sitting in my backlog for at least two years and I think I'm finally going to play it. Anything I need to know before going in?

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

Hakkesshu posted:

I really don't think a single person would do this. Ripley's daughter is an almost apocryphal part of the Aliens canon (or lack thereof, as is the case), she's mentioned in a short scene from the director's cut of Aliens with like two or three lines devoted to her. No one would care if her story was never told, because the whole point of that scene was that she grew old and died, not that she became Ripley 2.0.

I agree. I guess I wasn't clear: What I meant is that people would probably call her character a rip-off of Ripley, or demand that she have some tie to the films because keeping things perfectly in cannon and relevant to the films is more important than telling your own story or being original. Pretty much what what happened with Aliens: Colonial Marines; in the previews leading up to the game, people started bitching that the pulse rifle sound wasn't quite perfect because some tiny inaccuracy is way more important than story, gameplay, etc.

Though Aliens:AC is probably a lovely example because that game was complete garbage in every other respect, too. But whatever, my bitching is just derailing this thread.

Edit:

Palpek posted:

The more footage is released the more it looks like it sucks. The latest reveal were zombie-androids and they're hilariously bad.

Misread that as "zombie asteroids" and got really confused for a second.

Hellburger99 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 5, 2014

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

Brackhar posted:

It's a mixed game. The visual execution ranges from average to poor, but the cartography system is really, really cool and worth playing just to see.

Anyone here play DreadOut? It looks a good bit like Fatal Frame and I heard it actually tried to do the atmospheric horror approach.

I watched a goon stream of it and everyone seemed really impressed with it. I'll probably pick it up myself sooner or later. It's an indie game, to be sure, but it does some surprisingly interesting things with the genre.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

HellCopter posted:

My exposure to Shattered Memories was an LP of it, and the player hated it. I ended up feeling pretty negatively about it too. I guess that's not the prevailing opinion? It looked pretty shallow, like it didn't really take advantage of its concepts.

I love Shattered Memories, but I understand a lot of the issues people had with it. It was really more of an exploration game than a survival horror game, and if they would have called it anything but Silent Hill it probably would have been better received. If nothing else, the Wii version does a great job of creating an immersive feel using the wiimote as both a flash light and cellphone. The "game changes based on your psychological profile" was a little over hyped, though the way you play/the questions you answer does affect your game, though it's more subtly than overtly.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

RightClickSaveAs posted:

They also have Silent Hill for $1, I still haven't played that one so I picked it up. Good stuff!

I'm guessing this is only for PS3? I'd gladly rebuy the Silent Hills on PS4 for $1 but for some reason PSN refuses to port them over.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"
So I grabbed SOMA on the Humble Monthly because I've heard it's got a great story and atmosphere, but I have jump scares and don't particularly like hiding in closest from blurry monsters I'm not supposed to look at. Am I really going to be missing out if I grab that "passive monsters" mod? I get that it's going to make it less tense, but I've also heard that it makes the game creepy in a different way than the vanilla version.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"
I decided just to grab the mod anyway because the description page gave similarly, non-spoilery descriptions. I was really in the mood for a walking-sim with a horror vibe more than a monsters hunt you down style game anyway. I've only gotten to the second hub/pod/thing and while it isn't super scary yet, it is really unsettling, and based on a few of the "choices" I've made, I feel like that might be the real horror of this game.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"
Despite the monsters being modded to be "passive", SOMA still got a scream out of me when the teleporting guys with lightbulb headscame to say hello. I'm really enjoying it, though, and with the mod it's striking the right balance of creeping horror and exploration with having to worry about jump scares. I love horror but man do I hate jump scares.

Edit: days late but sorry about the busted tags.

Hellburger99 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 3, 2016

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

Contingency Plan posted:

In recent years there has been a trend in horror games where combat is de-emphasized (Alien: Isolation) or absent altogether (Amnesia, Outlast). I'd like a horror game to take it to the next level: a protagonist who not only doesn't fight but is a coward. Like, imagine a a gameplay mechanic where as your character is fleeing an entity from beyond time and space, he must shriek in fear every so often otherwise he will drop dead of a heart attack, but doing so will alert his pursuer, it is up to the player to make the decision when to do so. Or your character will piss his pants while being chased and you must scavenge for clean clothing lest the smell make it easier for you to be discovered.

Some older posters might remember the character of Dario from Resident Evil 3: A fat, fearful whiny shlub who yells at Jill in the prologue before locking himself in the back of a truck. Later, Jill returns to the warehouse where Dario is and discovers he--or at least someone who looks like him--has been killed by zombies. It would be cool and good if a future RE game starred Dario and had you fleeing in terror and perhaps explored why he faked his death in RE 3. We can see a progression in horror protagonists from stoic, badass commandos (Basically every Resident Evil protagonist, Keith Snyder from Countdown Vampires) to normal Joes and Janes (Silent Hill)--it's time to take it a step further have player characters who not only don't fight but are cowardly.

I'd love to see more games that focus on exploration like Silent Hill Shattered Memories. I know I'm in the minority, but I loved that game. It has had that mechanic where you couldn't attack enemies and instead had to flee from them, but I'm sure they could come up with something better these days than the Wii motion controls...

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"
Finished RE3 three times and it has grown on me each time. It's a completely different feel from RE2's survival horror. It almost feels like a more old-school "level" style game. Yeah, it's survival horror still, but the various set pieces feel more like levels. You got a sewer level, a spider level, a couple of arena boss fights. It's a different direction, but I kinda dug it. Maybe it's because I've been playing a lot of Doom Eternal, I dunno. I also, oddly, appreciate that it's pretty short and nearly all of the dialog and cutscenes are skipable (including the drat walkie-talkie stuff). It feels so arcade-y at times that I'm really surprised the wasn't a Survivors arcade-style mini game added on. Maybe we'll get some more free DLC.

If people asked me should they buy this over RE2, I'd say probably not, but I still like it more the more I play it.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

Discendo Vox posted:

The other NPCs similarly wrestling with this very very basic concept, killing each other over it, shows a similarly bleak degree of respect for the audience's intelligence. The first time it's explained, you go "oh, okay, that's mildly unsettling" and then the premise of all the repetitions deflates like a wet balloon. Frictional's excellent work on sound, visuals, and the presence of other less rote plot elements and choices, can only cover so much. Cardiovorax nails it as "Babby's First Existential Crisis".

:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"
Simon just got a girl he had a crush on killed and is slowly dying from a brain injury no one can fix and on top of that he wakes up a hundred years later in an underwater hell with robo-fish people trying to murder him. I’m not saying it’s the best writing ever committed to paper, but how is Simon an unrealistic character here? Only a loving goon would look at this situation and say “Ugh, dude is being soooo unreasonable here. I’ve taken psych 101 and I would be totally chill in this scenario”.