Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Is it a ironic title so everyone actually survives or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Isn't Suffering 1 a Q3 engine game? I'm sure it it had a pc version too.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

So who owns the fox engine now then? :tinfoil:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

So what you guys are saying is that the first three silent hill games were less than they could have been because the protagonists spoke.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Re2 wouldn't require a remaster. It would require an entire rebuild. Basically making a new game. I doubt capcom even has the source files lying around of the original backgrounds, fmv sequences etc. It would be costly compared to REmake 1 and 0.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Odds are you played them, but the first two Dead Space games had an unkilliable enemy who stalked you in sections, and that was pretty drat scary for me.

Until you realise how they work and it's all :geno:.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

Considering the ladder broke cleanly as soon as you hung on to it, you are probably way too heavy for it.

The Extra is one of my favourite short stories.

Anyway, if you're familiar with psychology (read Oliver Sack's classic book), you would be familiar with the fact that damage to parts of your brain can selectively inhibit your cognition. You can simply lose proprioception or language recognition. You can fail to recognise objects. You can lose the ability to recognise the very concept of the left side of any object. You can be convinced that you are already dead. Your eyes can be perfectly intact, but you can be unable to see.

Alot of horror games fill their levels with hostile madmen. They can take a variety of forms: zombies, splicers, robots, aliens, but in all case they cannot be negotiated with, and are unrelentingly hostile.

What Soma seems to be trying to do is fill the levels with humans perfectly capable of making casual conversation, but with portions of their cognition excised out. You are not completely alone, you are capable of negotiating with them. But the horror is that there is no distinct line separating you from your fellow monsters, can you be intellectually aware of the similarities, but you believe in your heart of hearts that you are completely human.

In one of the earlier video's they released we saw the player walk by people on tables where the top half of the skull was swapped out for a device. It seemed to suggest that our protag may be remotely controlling his body; his actual brains stored someplace and hooked in wirelessly to the device that has replaced the original brain in his body.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

That is another possibility. But that is much easier to solve, all the player character needs to do is find a mirror, touch their skull.

No reason to, they know they're human so why check? That and a hundred different excuses could easily be made. The way the robots act in the game and live action trailer is based on a real psychological thing where a subject may be utterly convinced of a certain fact(ie a cripple convinced they can walk) yet when challenged will come up with all sorts of reasons why they won't ('I'm tired so I don't feel like standing up'). If pushed into a corner (mean example: pull chair away from cripple) so as to force reality upon them they will just come up with something even more far fetched('you caught me by surprise'). If that fails and nothing is left they will get super agitated instead but no matter what they will not acknowledge reality.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Kholat is out and the reviews are interesting. Destructoid reads positive throughout, only ending with a lower score than you'd expect mainly due to there being zero reason to replay it. It runs on UE4 and looks really nice. Could be a good experience.

Kholat is about exploring a snowy mountainous region to discover what caused the deaths of nine russians who died on a mountain slope due to unknown reasons. Basically evidence suggested they cut themselves out of their tent in a panic and just ran off, only to be found dead hundreds of meters further. Save a few, who were found with a cracked skull and a missing tongue, no injuries were found on them.

This actual real event is the base for the game's story. You, narrated by Sean Bean, walk about with a map and compass to piece about what happened. I'm tempted to pull the trigger on this.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Iirc the story they chose was that the warrior defeated diablo whereas the others tried, failed and went mad.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

A lot of it is making solid use of the features given by Unreal 4. More and more videos are popping up with architects building entire apartments in ue4, and they look similar to this, lighting-wise.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Wait, I thought the third one was the Official Last FNAF? Like, it tied up the mystery and everything

E. And wasn't even that good

My guess is he is having fun and enjoys making all the money.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

BlackFrost posted:

Hmm. Fair enough, I suppose. I'll finish the game before looking anything up then, but these multiple-path games always make me curious as gently caress, haha.

It sounds like a fun game. Go explore the possibilities instead of asking about them!

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Leinadi posted:

Reviews for SOMA are getting released. Seems like a very positive response overall. Here's one: http://www.destructoid.com/review-soma-311740.phtml

And you can preload now on Steam. I'm so ready for this. :woop:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

What video card do you have and are new drivers available for it?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Silhouette posted:

Jesus. It's been in development for what, 4 years at this point?

Yup! Their march update suggests they're far from dead, just silent to a fault. It's probably just way more ambitious than they originally thought.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

I remember that one. When I first played it I kept loving up which was which.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

ChogsEnhour posted:

Was Fatal Frame 3 the one where you hear rain pattering against glass until you realise it's not raining and when you look up at the skylight you see there's loving ghosts peering down at you drumming on the glass?

Because no way am I creative enough to have made that up on my own but I can never remember what it's from.

Does the mc have a painful tattoo grow on her back?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Pretty sure they mention that the biggest giveaway that you are linked is this annoying as gently caress tone you hear two times in the game. First time is in the car while they travel to the hospital. Second time is when Sebastian walks out of the hospital at the end.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

The thing I miss from Limbo is the ability to go to a specific section to hunt for secrets. Not a big thing but some of these hints in the achievement make it hard to figure out which zone they're referencing.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

You can select a specific screen in the Load option in the main menu.

I have no idea why I didn't bother looking there. :downs: Thanks!

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Which inside ending do I do first. I kept dieing at the river, found weird orb thing, then found out it was a secret

There are quite a few to find. Odds are you wont find them all on your first run. I thought I found a good amount until I looked at the achievement list.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

NeoSeeker posted:

I'm well aware that monolith has a heavy Japanese influence. I mean do you remember when FEAR came out? Everyone was making the comparison.

I... what? I complete missed that. I am not sure I follow either.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

The only link I sort-of see, but can easily come from different sources, is "morally corrupt science mans fucks with lady, makes her uncontrollable and batshit powerful". Beyond that it seems largely different and thank gently caress for that.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

joylessdivision posted:

I keep forgetting about that game.

Well time to remember and :getin: then son.

There may be games with technically better graphics but the atmosphere is just amazing.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

In Inside does the boy still make sounds like shivering/breathing in fear after the water-girl grabs him and makes him be able to breathe underwater? I know some suggest the secret ending and the idea that he is being controlled the whole time is moreso meta-commentary than literal. But I might be more convinced that he had free will up until the point at which he was grabbed, particularly if he is silent afterward.

My personal take is that It's not so much losing free will. The boy straight up drowns. You're puppeting a corpse at that point. He doesn't learn underwater breathing, he he doesn't breathe at all. The water girls are corpses hanging around to create more corpses. You can tell they go completely silent the moment they no longer detect anything alive in the water. This also happens when the boy drowns. . Also the boy's entire demeanor changes. Most notable is a lack of response to events around him in general.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Jump scares have completely overstayed their welcome for me at this point. It just feels like the creator's are indirectly admitting that they aren't sure how to properly make the player freak so they're falling back on invoking a physical reflex instead.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Bogart posted:

Deadly Premonition is great, gently caress everyone.

vv: The way a game plays does not equal how good a game is. I'm sorry if nobody's ever told you this.

If someone values technical competence, it's not wrong to have issues with games that run like rear end. To each their own you know.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Carebearz posted:

your gear stays on your body, and you lose a chunk of XP, when you get back to your body, you get all your gear back and get the xp back. if you log off then log back in, when you spawn in the camp area, your body is at your feet, but you lose the lost xp for good

Point is, that's still not how the Souls series works in any of its game. You don't lose any gear, ever. Just xp/currency.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Agony appears technically impressive but that's about it. It's grotesque with an over the top presentation without there appearing to be a point to it (other than "because it's hell lol"). At some point you literally see a stone wall made with live babies used as the mortar. No really. Besides that there is such a high amount of clutter you can barely walk decently in some places, get stuck sometimes plus it's hard to discern the clutter from interactive items and notes.

If what we've seen so far is a decent representative of the whole I think I'm skipping this one. It's just messy in way too many ways and it feels like they hardly have anything resembling a design document, regardless of how true or false that may be.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Nice. Guess it's time to benchmark a little!

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

A. Beaverhausen posted:

And it's not the same as the ps4 one with the film crew, right?

Of course it is the same one. :v:

e: well there might be a new section... exit the starting room with the tv and turn 90 degrees to the right. This door looks different than the ones in the video's I see on YT with the console demo. And it certainly opens in the pc version...

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 19, 2016

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Crabtree posted:

Didn't they add more to it where you have seperate endings now though? or is that yet another demo of RE7?

Been looking around and as it turns out, the console demo got little updates apparantly? Expanding bit by bit. We probably have the latest version.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

It reminds me more of RE4 regenerators than Siren though.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Crabtree posted:

Man, I know jackshit about RE7.

Ah I get the confusion now. Yeah you're referring to the Bakers butttt they seem way more sane than the average shibito.

E: still crazy by any definition really.

EE: anyone notice the demo is a vram guzzler? Easily eats every byte it can get its hands on at max settings @ 1680x1050. Tried changing the AA but that barely made a difference and it is the thing my 970 hangs on. All other aspects are fine. Besides texturing what else eats a lot of ram?

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 20, 2016

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Definitely looking forward to RE7. Got the deluxe version for Christmas :3:. I'm curious to see how the playable teaser/demo compares to the full thing.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

:confused: regardless of how effective Denuvo is, I've had zero issues with games that had it installed.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

A. Beaverhausen posted:

For some it's the principal. Giving the consumer a hassle because they actually paid. See Hitmans always online requirement as an example.

Yeah I can see that Always Online can be a hassle. Still, to go from a bought game to console rental? Why not console during a sale or wait until Denuvo gets removed which is a real thing(DOOM 4 got this treatment).

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Yardbomb posted:

Like Len said, the guys who make Denuvo will obviously say it's not the case, but I mean they're obviously gonna say that either way because that's their stock.

Though admittedly it's not like a critical "WILL gently caress your poo poo up ASAP" problem, it's just a known issue with it being what it is and doing what it does.

This is still making the rounds? I thought I was the last one to wisen up about this. :v:
People literally measured what denuvo was doing to their drives and they noticed gently caress all. It may be pointless but it isn't doing this at all.

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

it's weird that no one mentions those

Have you considered that might be intentional. :ssh: