Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
I see Scratches was mentioned. I finally got around to playing that game a couple weeks ago and was not impressed. The atmosphere is admittedly well done, but what most fans of Scratches fail to mention is that the game suffers from some seriously archaic and lovely puzzle design. I found actually playing the game to be an utter chore and lost interest in finishing it. If you can put up with bad puzzles or don't mind using a walkthrough to experience the spooky atmosphere then go crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

What does this thread think of the F.E.A.R. series? Do they even merit being brought up in a horror games thread? There is definitely some creepy stuff in them, and creative jump scares. But I personally find them to be the most tonally bizarre games around as they feel like a cross between Silent Hill and Half-life. One minute your supposed to be creeped out by ghosts and scary little girls, and then the next your getting into a full blown firefight right out of an 80s action movie. I never played 3 though.

If Demons/Dark Souls are worth discussing here then FEAR definitely is :colbert:

al-azad posted:

FEAR 2 is... ehhhhh. Things kind of took a step back technically and I don't even remember the big scares.

The first game is worth playing because it's a great shooter. It's still part of the horror genre despite cheap and often ineffective scares, but that's not where the game's strength lies. In the sequel, the gunplay is worse in ways that I can't fully articulate, but whatever they did made the whole experience feel tedious and unsatisfying. In short, FEAR 2 is crap.

Monolith's other good game, Condemned, should be mentioned while we're on the subject. Like FEAR, it's action-horror with cheap scares and a poorly written story. I would say it has a much more consistent atmosphere compared to FEAR, though--if only because of who your enemies are. Bashing in the brains of psychotic homeless men with pipes and sledgehammers while exploring derelict buildings goes a long way towards enforcing a creepy atmosphere. Can't really say that super clone soldiers and evil corporate security guards with high tech weaponry have the same effect.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Bieeardo posted:

Black Mesa sounds like one of those SNES romhacks that requires intimate familiarity with weird engine glitches and tactics, because the creators made them to challenge themselves and not a broader audience.

I beat it a couple months ago without having ever played the original beyond the first few chapters. It had its problems (at the top of that list are definitely the marines' instant reaction and pinpoint aim) but it can be enjoyed by anyone who is familiar with FPS games. Crouch jumping is the only engine quirk the player need be aware of, and it's something that isn't exactly obscure or hard to pull off. Regardless, there are three difficulty levels and you can quicksave everywhere, so any challenge is what you make of it. It's an FPS, you're not playing a Paradox game.

The beginning chapters are definitely supposed to be creepy and tense, but that wears off as you gather more weaponry and the marines show up--they're easily the most dangerous enemies in the game but aren't exactly horrifying.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Cardiovorax posted:

I agree that it's still one of the best RPG/FPS mashups ever, but it didn't look very good even for its own time. Compared to some modern stuff, the gun handling is also pretty cludgy and primitive and PSI just isn't really valid as a playstyle at all.

There are mods for it that improve the graphics considerably. It still looks dated, but you can get much more higher res textures and such that actually makes the game look kind of nice.