Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

wormil posted:

I feel like a lot happens but the end surprised me both episodes because it also felt like nothing happened. I can't explain it any better than that.

This is going to be one of those perpetual mystery shows that gets cancelled with a season one cliffhanger. I should stop watching now.

I'm worried about that too except alien-induced pregnancies usually go faster than normal. Really hoping 'baby' is born before the end of Season 1.
I think there's some connection between the 'alien' fetus and the husband's work in robotics and AI. Like, the ISEA has implanted a robot seed to germinate/develop like a human right from 'conception' so it will be born, raised and develop as a human.

But that's impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

ShakeZula posted:

I get the sense it was completely one-sided on the colleague's part, and the husband was just kind of working and spending time with her as a friend and business partner. Otherwise, if he told Molly "I had a lot of fun with her while you were gone" and was referring to an affair, that's a pretty stone-cold/scumbag move by him and would change that character significantly.

It's the future maybe they have a more relaxed attitude towards sex, like in Sleeper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isrd7E5nzIQ

No, if anything I think the co-worker is going to turn out be obsessed with the husband but he's career-oriented and about as emotional as little Ethan.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Also creepy was the guy who pulled Molly over on the road to return her monitoring device.

Catching the bird so Toaster could play with it later was a great way to show how his little robot mind works.

Overall that was a good episode. And speaking of creeps, Halle Berry looked great in her party dress.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jul 24, 2014

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

wormil posted:

I expected they were the survivors, everyone else is dead and this is just some shared experience: AI meets the Matrix. Or maybe they are all toasters, it would at least explain the acting. Who knows. At the rate it's going, it'll be season 4 before we find out. I'll keep watching a bit longer. If the show focused a little less on Halle Berry and a lot more on moving the plot forward, I would enjoy it much more.

You seem as frustrated as Sam (Camryn Manheim) trying to get into her lab LOL. "Sorry there's a gas leak try again later"

The pace of the revelations is fine by me. There's a lot of sci fi choices these days. There are no space ships engaged in pew! pew! intergalactic space battles but there's much variety with Extant, Defiance, Agents of Shield, Tomorrow People, Under The Dome, Continuum, Orphan Black...so many options.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
The latest episode ended on quite a couple of cliffhangers...is no one else watching?!

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Still am (thanks DVR season pass!) but this week's ep was a sharp drop-off in quality for me. Equal parts clichèfest and dialogue-free intrigue where the audience is left to fend for themselves as to what is actually happening. Molly's dad was the biggest problem by far and his dog not recognizing Molly was painfully hacky.
The dog recognized Molly. It reacted with hostility to the alien presence inside her.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Super duper cyber expert future Dad forgot computing rule #1 and didn't regularly backup Ethan. Now he's probably going to have to do a fresh OS install and lose all his progams/programming.
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 7, 2014

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Every character on the show is dumb as a box of rocks but at least now we know why the legless woman has a mother complex with Molly's husband. It's the dumbest, most contrived/obvious reason possible but that's just the kind of show Extant is. Really just a terrible show, and each additional layer of the onion that gets peeled back stinks worse than the one before. At least we'll get a lovely cliffhanger before the show gets cancelled!
In previous episode we saw how much time she took, and how much she enjoyed teaching Ethan and raising him as a real boy. It's not at all stupid that she would have maternal feelings for him and resent Molly 'adopting' him.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Combat Pretzel posted:

How convenient that their robot baby has no ways to monitor and debug its state.

The 'robot child' has already exceeded his programming, become self-aware and looks like he's going to start upgrading himself.

"No risk, no reward"...and no comments on the 2-hour episode last night?!
Was pretty good although the dialogue gets cheesy sometimes. But then Steven Spielberg is a producer so that should be expected, along with all the emphasis on family.

Josh Lyman posted:

Still Defying Gravity 2.0 for me.

It's turning into Terminator. Or maybe Star Wars if the talking garbage can is R2D2 to Ethan's C3P0. Or Ethan is becoming Data and will soon gear up to battle The Alien.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Aug 21, 2014

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Cardboard Box A posted:

Wait there were 2 episodes? Did anything actually happen finally?

Ethan learned to ride a bike.
Kryger had a good line in a moment of tension with, "Let's just shoot each other here and save them the trouble".
A lot of other stuff happened but I guess I'm the only one interested or paying attention.

Next week will also run 2 episodes in a row.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

VorpalBunny posted:

SO?! How did it end? I gave up in episode 3, even though the sci-fi touches were awesome. Did anything get resolved? Was this just a big, boring pile of wasted potential?

Several people had their lives end, which can be seen as having their storyline resolved.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
There was an interesting story point shown in the latest episode: Molly has a vision/flashback to an auto crash in which she lost her husband AND her baby.
I don't think we knew that she'd been pregnant before and this happened. It should have come up earlier in the season because it helps explain why she is so determined to not lose her new child even though it's some human/alien hybrid (that is going around killing people).

Stabitha posted:

This show is just getting sillier every episode. I really like the kid that plays Ethan. I hope they can incorporate him into the show's plot more before it inevitably gets cancelled.

The one thing that this show has shown about the future that I hope we have (someone could probably make one already) is that emergency flarephone. I want one.
You mean sillier in a good way, right? Like Orphan Black, Continuum, Warehouse 13, Lost Girl...?
Season 2 should be
Odin's anti-robot group vs. Ethan vs. the Alien

You could buy a 7-11 pre-paid phone, charge it and leave it in your glove compartment in case of emergency.

With the days getting shorter and the inevitable end of DST approaching, what I want is a set of those night-vision contact lenses.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
This show has a too-obvious habit of building the mystery around a person for a while and then laying it all out in one big expository story, complete with flashbacks.
And:
Like many of today's youth, Ethan is a ticking time bomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Cactus posted:

Somebody had to, didn't they.

I hope we at least get to see the aliens true form. Something tells me it will be underwhelming. Or maybe just whelming.

This last episode was a trip and a half. We saw the aliens' true form, we saw the Offspring; we saw Molly fight back and stop the alien mind-manipulation; we saw what she needs to do to stop the alien invasion; we saw Odin's plan unravel...and still have another episode to go.

• Locked thread